Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grant is back!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title Town USA wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
I think there is little doubt that adding Grant to the mix will help our offense. I am excited about the move.
Quite the turn of events from last year when you bashed him left and right. Very Happy

You misremember.

I said right away he looked like he wasn't fully recovered (which he wasn't). I later said he looked MUCH better later on when he got his strength back.

Feel free to look it up.
Blink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
40Year Pack Fan wrote:
Blink wrote:
This was the logical, albeit obvious move.

He's going to be dependable in ball security(lulz), average to below average in pass pro, and he'll take what the OL gives him in the run game.

Definitely not a bad player to have around, I wouldn't expect his signing to substantially effect the offense either way though.

Yeah, Grant is a finesse runner and not a power one.....IF he were Earl Campbell (in his prime), I wouldn't be quite so concerned about our OL.....Many are acting like he (Grant) has miraculously found the fountain of youth and the offensive line has suddenly gotten over it's season long inadequacies.....

Not so sure that's what I'm reading. Bunch of smart football heads here on FF. I'm sure most here feel it's going to take him a little time to get going. That said, the Grant we had last year was a much better pure runner than any of the others on this roster right now. I sure expect to see a ton of Green from this point out. But there is a good chance this staff will have more faith in Grant's ability to close a game out come playoffs.

Earl Campbell is NOT what your looking for in a inside/outside zone fit! A prime years Grant was damn close to ideal in that regard. I have little doubt Grant has lost a little long speed over the years. But the vision and one cut style should still be clear. Hell, I bet he is still a good bit faster than Green. Grant might not be as quick as some but I bet he would beat most in terms of long speed even at 30.

The way I see it Grant will hit the holes if they are there, but he's never been one to get chunks of yards by himself. Has the long speed to break away from defenders, not a whole lot of wiggle in terms of making defenders miss but will put his head down and finish a run. Doesn't fumble often, but not exceptional in either pass protection or receiving.

I'm wondering why he's still available though, I always thought he was miles ahead of Lumpkin yet NYG signed him instead. Is there anything medical, or is it more of an age/fit issue?
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was actually pretty good at receiving when he got his looks- don't ever remember him dropping a pass. I think everyone just compared him to BJax when it came to catching and blitz pickup.

I just hope we see the post-post injury Grant and not the post-injury Grant where he was going down on contact immediately.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
40Year Pack Fan wrote:
Blink wrote:
This was the logical, albeit obvious move.

He's going to be dependable in ball security(lulz), average to below average in pass pro, and he'll take what the OL gives him in the run game.

Definitely not a bad player to have around, I wouldn't expect his signing to substantially effect the offense either way though.

Yeah, Grant is a finesse runner and not a power one.....IF he were Earl Campbell (in his prime), I wouldn't be quite so concerned about our OL.....Many are acting like he (Grant) has miraculously found the fountain of youth and the offensive line has suddenly gotten over it's season long inadequacies.....

Not so sure that's what I'm reading. Bunch of smart football heads here on FF. I'm sure most here feel it's going to take him a little time to get going. That said, the Grant we had last year was a much better pure runner than any of the others on this roster right now. I sure expect to see a ton of Green from this point out. But there is a good chance this staff will have more faith in Grant's ability to close a game out come playoffs.

Earl Campbell is NOT what your looking for in a inside/outside zone fit! A prime years Grant was damn close to ideal in that regard. I have little doubt Grant has lost a little long speed over the years. But the vision and one cut style should still be clear. Hell, I bet he is still a good bit faster than Green. Grant might not be as quick as some but I bet he would beat most in terms of long speed even at 30.

The way I see it Grant will hit the holes if they are there, but he's never been one to get chunks of yards by himself. Has the long speed to break away from defenders, not a whole lot of wiggle in terms of making defenders miss but will put his head down and finish a run. Doesn't fumble often, but not exceptional in either pass protection or receiving.

I'm wondering why he's still available though, I always thought he was miles ahead of Lumpkin yet NYG signed him instead. Is there anything medical, or is it more of an age/fit issue?

I was told Grant had a "few" contracts on the table. Man just wanted starter money and that's not what was on said table. And yes, Grant is very much so in need of the right home for his game to excel. Lumpkin is a system fit on far more clubs than Grant would be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
He was actually pretty good at receiving when he got his looks- don't ever remember him dropping a pass. I think everyone just compared him to BJax when it came to catching and blitz pickup.

I just hope we see the post-post injury Grant and not the post-injury Grant where he was going down on contact immediately.
This is as healthy as he'll ever be in his life. He's had a lot of down time which means his legs are fresh and gets to jump right back into an offense that he knows very well. This is his swan song so i hope, for us and him because he's a good dude, that he does well.

Kempes on the custom sig!
pollino14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit off topic, but how long do we have this continue where we have below average RBs?

I like Starks a lot but he s always hurt.
I do not like Green what so ever.
And now we're relying on Ryan Grant....

RB has to be a top priority in the off-season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
Bit off topic, but how long do we have this continue where we have below average RBs?

I am just not sure I see THAT guy that we can go out and get. I wouldn't mind brining Benson back, I am not a huge fan but he was solid. Maybe draft Knile Davis, who I think is the perfect fit for ZBS but like Starks, he can't stay on the field for one reason or another. Benson-Starks-Green-Davis, no pro bowlers but an improvement for sure.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
svp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:

I doubt TT gets one in the first round. It's part of his charm.
Unless it is a perfect storm... and if it does happen I will
eat my fictitious hat.

Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

eat my fictitious hat.
IS there a position that TT has been worse at then evaluating RB's? It's not like he hasn't taken RB's high in the draft. B Jax's was a 2nd rounder. Green was a 3rd rounder. The only real hit he's had at RB was getting Grant from the NYG for a 6th rounder.

Kempes on the custom sig!
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
svp wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

eat my fictitious hat.
IS there a position that TT has been worse at then evaluating RB's? It's not like he hasn't taken RB's high in the draft. B Jax's was a 2nd rounder. Green was a 3rd rounder. The only real hit he's had at RB was getting Grant from the NYG for a 6th rounder.
It certianly has not been a strength. Funny thing is the 6th rounders (Grant,Starks) TT has spent have worked out 10x better than the high picks he has used (Jackson,Green) and both high picks had/have vision issues.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Average at best
40Year Pack Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

eat my fictitious hat.

I think instead of worrying about drafting a RB, we should try and shore up the offensive line.....Jake Long will be a free agent in Miami.....Would be nice to persue that route, providing the Dolphins don't franchise tag him.....Get some decent up front help, I think we can pretty much stay with what we have....Minus Green.....I'm not sold on him either.....
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

eat my fictitious hat.

Just sayin'

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
svp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good! thats great!
I never leave green bay Island... sad really.

Pugger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any real blue chip RBs worth drafting high in the upcoming draft in April? As we all know sometimes good collegiate players don't always become wonderful professional players. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Are there any real blue chip RBs worth drafting high in the upcoming draft in April? As we all know sometimes good collegiate players don't always become wonderful professional players. Confused
I don't see one. I don't have a 1st round grade on any RB this year.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Average at best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: