Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dave Toub as a HC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Dave Toub as a HC? Reply with quote

Most Browns fans believe Pat Shurmur will be gone at the end of the season. Some don't think he should be fired, but most think he will be. Dave Toub is one possible candidate who doesn't get talked about much but he's done very well as Chicago's ST coordinator and I think he could be the next ST coordinator to become a head coach.

My question is: do you guys think he'd be successful as a head coach? Why or why not?

Smack on the sig.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has down a great job working with bottom of the roster talent since he got here in 04 and he will be a very successful HC IMO as long as he has made the right connections to get himself a good OC & DC…as a man manager he is top of the line.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Toub as a HC? Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
Most Browns fans believe Pat Shurmur will be gone at the end of the season. Some don't think he should be fired, but most think he will be. Dave Toub is one possible candidate who doesn't get talked about much but he's done very well as Chicago's ST coordinator and I think he could be the next ST coordinator to become a head coach.

My question is: do you guys think he'd be successful as a head coach? Why or why not?

Yes I think he will be a very good Head Coach for the reason MM90 explained. But I want him as the Head Coach for this team.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toub is the energy and the passion on this staff and guys love playing for this guy.

I am a huge Toub fan.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Toub is the energy and the passion on this staff and guys love playing for this guy.

I am a huge Toub fan.

Guys love playing for Lovie too. Nine years and nobody I can recall has ever said a bad word about him, even after they have left. Energy and passion in my ideal coach are far down the requirement list. I think that for the most part the fire and brimstone guys aren't long for any position. Look at all of the long time successful NFL coaches and you'll find that just as many were not yell and scream guys. Two years ago Rex Ryan was "the man" and now he's 4 weeks from being fired. It's still a results oriented profession.

I want the guy to get the most out of his team's talent. Toub has done that with our ST for sure. I don't have any idea how he stacks up as a grand scheme delegator but I would like to see him get a shot at some point either here or elsewhere. Wouldn't hurt him IMO to take a college HC job either if he eventually wants to be a NFL HC.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I am a huge Toub fan.

Guys love playing for Lovie too. Nine years and nobody I can recall has ever said a bad word about him, even after they have left. Energy and passion in my ideal coach are far down the requirement list. I think that for the most part the fire and brimstone guys aren't long for any position. Look at all of the long time successful NFL coaches and you'll find that just as many were not yell and scream guys. Two years ago Rex Ryan was "the man" and now he's 4 weeks from being fired. It's still a results oriented profession.

I want the guy to get the most out of his team's talent. Toub has done that with our ST for sure. I don't have any idea how he stacks up as a grand scheme delegator but I would like to see him get a shot at some point either here or elsewhere. Wouldn't hurt him IMO to take a college HC job either if he eventually wants to be a NFL HC.

I never said anything about Lovie.

But Lovie is not passionate and energetic on the sideline or anywhere for that matter. Guys love him because he treats them well and he is a stable force.

I think the guys love Toub for different reasons, which is energy and emotion that he shows.

Not saying one is better than the other.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I am a huge Toub fan.

But Lovie is not passionate and energetic on the sideline or anywhere for that matter. Guys love him because he treats them well and he is a stable force.

I think the guys love Toub for different reasons, which is energy and emotion that he shows.

I know you didn't mention Lovie but you mentioned that Toub's ST guys love him and I was pointing out that that isn't a unique thing. I have no idea why guys like Toub. I don't discount that they like his passion but I suspect they like him more because he is a good coach. The energy and emotion thing will only play with some guys. Some like or even need a coach to get in their face to get the most out of them and others respond better to a coach who treats them like an adult. Peanut was on with Laurence Holmes a few weeks ago and answered a specific question about this and said point blank that he didn't want a coach who yells at him all the time because he responds better to the opposite approach. Ideally a coach can do both and be able to relate to both types of players.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I am a huge Toub fan.

I know you didn't mention Lovie but you mentioned that Toub's ST guys love him and I was pointing out that that isn't a unique thing. I have no idea why guys like Toub. I don't discount that they like his passion but I suspect they like him more because he is a good coach. The energy and emotion thing will only play with some guys. Some like or even need a coach to get in their face to get the most out of them and others respond better to a coach who treats them like an adult. Peanut was on with Laurence Holmes a few weeks ago and answered a specific question about this and said point blank that he didn't want a coach who yells at him all the time because he responds better to the opposite approach. Ideally a coach can do both and be able to relate to both types of players.

I didn't say it was a unique thing.

I said that Toub's guys seemed to really love playing for him, which they do.

Not everything said about another coach on this staff is a veiled attack of Lovie Smith.

I think Mike Tice is a god awful OC, that doesn't mean that I think Lovie does not know how to coach defense.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I am a huge Toub fan.

Not everything said about another coach on this staff is a veiled attack of Lovie Smith.

I think Mike Tice is a god awful OC, that doesn't mean that I think Lovie does not know how to coach defense.

Where am I saying you're attacking Lovie Smith? Just making my own observation and comment. I'm not implying you are saying anything.

GRRLacher wrote:
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I am a huge Toub fan.

Guys love playing for Lovie too. Nine years and nobody I can recall has ever said a bad word about him, even after they have left. Energy and passion in my ideal coach are far down the requirement list. I think that for the most part the fire and brimstone guys aren't long for any position. Look at all of the long time successful NFL coaches and you'll find that just as many were not yell and scream guys. Two years ago Rex Ryan was "the man" and now he's 4 weeks from being fired. It's still a results oriented profession. Maybe he will come to the Bears next. Be that as it may or may not, energy and passion are not synonymous with "fire and brimstone". No one has more passion or energy than BB and he isn't a screamer.

Harbaugh is the rare college coach who succeeds nowadays. Leslie may be another but he didn't come direct from college.

There is a huge difference in life styles, too. College coaches are near worshiped while even successful pro coaches are constantly under fire. Taub might go to college, be a success and just say "who needs it?"
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I am a huge Toub fan.

I don't think ABF is going down with the SS Lovie.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Toub will be a good head coach as long as he has good support staff. He's not going to go anywhere if he brings on awful coordinators and position coaches.
CadeMcGrossman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bloom is off the Toub rose. His time to get a HC gig was when the ST looked hot. The last few seasons they've been pretty bland. I'd be shocked to see Toub break out as a good/elite HC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: