Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills (3-5) 2013 "Wish List"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you guys think of Jeff Tedford from Cal, or Frank Spaziani from Boston College? I believe both have been fired.

Fact of the matter is, we won't get a big name coach, we won't get one of the top college guys, and we won't get one of the top Coordinators. It's just the nature of the beast in Buffalo.
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
What would you guys think of Jeff Tedford from Cal, or Frank Spaziani from Boston College? I believe both have been fired.

Fact of the matter is, we won't get a big name coach, we won't get one of the top college guys, and we won't get one of the top Coordinators. It's just the nature of the beast in Buffalo.

Offensively, Tedford is interesting, as the play-actions would benefit from our running attack, but he runs a 3-4 D. I might be in the minority here, but though I prefer the 3-4, I don't really want to start over again. Has he ever ran the 4-3 before?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
BigBillsFan13 wrote:

Offensively, Tedford is interesting, as the play-actions would benefit from our running attack, but he runs a 3-4 D. I might be in the minority here, but though I prefer the 3-4, I don't really want to start over again. Has he ever ran the 4-3 before?

I'm not sure if he's ever run the 4-3, and I actually didn't even think about that. I'd have to look into that. Just saw his name and thought it would be at least worth a look.

I also prefer the 3-4, mainly for it's flexability and possible blitz schemes/packages, but I agree that sticking with the 4-3 is our best option at this point. Draft Te'o and solidify our LB corps.
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, been thinking too much about Tedford...what if we changed back to the 3-4 anyway? By far, the biggest hurdle would be Mario. He came here because he wanted back into the 4-3. How about this though (assuming we could actually land Te'o...even though I think he'd be better in a 4-3):

..........................Byrd....................Wilson..........................

..........Moats..........Te'o..........Sheppard..........Bradham..........

Gilmore.......K. Williams.......Dareus.......M. Williams.......A. Williams

I'd rather find a way to get Bradham to an ILB position to maximize the speed inside, but I don't believe he's ever regularly played on the right side, which is where I'd want him due to his weight. I just don't feel comfortable putting Sheppard anywhere outside. Obviously, Te'o isn't in his normal strong-side ILB spot, but I was trying to get some speed to that side, besides Sheppard is far more of a thumper than Te'o.

We'd need to draft for a lot of depth and/or score in FA to even have a remote chance at making this work. Then there's the whole part where I was basically trying to jam square pegs into round holes, other than Moats who really should be in the 3-4! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ What about Mark Anderson & Shawn Merriman?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:

Merriman is a free agent after this season who I honestly would let walk anyway and I forgot about Anderson. Actually, I forgot about several guys, including Moore, who earlier I was hoping we'd re-sign for a 4-3 DE as I think he has outplayed Anderson!

Man, we really had done a pretty thorough job of converting from 3-4 to 4-3! Even the vast majority of our depth now are better suited for the 4-3, making this theoretical switch back to the 3-4 harder than I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:

Merriman is a free agent after this season who I honestly would let walk anyway and I forgot about Anderson. Actually, I forgot about several guys, including Moore, who earlier I was hoping we'd re-sign for a 4-3 DE as I think he has outplayed Anderson!

Man, we really had done a pretty thorough job of converting from 3-4 to 4-3! Even the vast majority of our depth now are better suited for the 4-3, making this theoretical switch back to the 3-4 harder than I expected.
Oh yeah the switch to the 3-4 would be very challenging. I like the 4-3 defense, all we need is a competent DCoord.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible idea of moving back to 3-4 the bills have to stick to a 4-3. This is what is hurting them is the constant changes.I want to stick with the 4-3 they have a great front line and no need to change it. They could add in a new DE and cut spencer johnson and chris kelsey this offseason. The LBs need upgrades but it would be more issues by changing back to a 3-4. As for coaching I think Gailey has to go he cannot coach he has made some major mistakes. Nix wants a new qb and gailey says that fitz is the guy when he clearly is not. Gailey kept wannstedt when he should have been canned. So much mistakes and all blame goes to Gailey for it.

Thanks Max
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time I put my wish list out there...also included my 1st mock, which I can guarantee won't look this way after the Senior Bowl! Laughing

HC - Perry Fewell or Mike Nolan or Mel Tucker.
All three have defensive backgrounds and have witnessed firsthand the benefits of a good running game and would likely be in favor of emphasizing that aspect of our offense.

First choice would be the Giants' Fewell, but given his past history with the Bills, he may not be interested. Personally, I'd swallow my pride and apologize for not having had faith in Perry and ask him to return. The fans would definitely embrace him and he'd have the players' respect.

Nolan has even more past HC experience than Fewell and like him has the defensive background. Nolan has mostly ran a 3-4 D, but has 4-3 experience as well and is currently running that with the Falcons. That combination of experience may be the reason for his very creative defensive playcalling this year.

Tucker actually already has a little HC experience as an interim for the Jaguars. He is their current DC and does call those plays. I think besides the successful defensive background with a sub-standard group of players, the thing that interests me the most is that he is the youngest of these 3 guys and I expect would relate well with the players.

OC - Jeff Tedford

Tedford is the ultimate chameleon. His base offense has been a Pro-style offense which emphasizes the running game first and uses play-action passes off of that. Depending on the skill set of his players though, he has flirted with a predominantly passing offense if the running game wasn't there. Over the years he has also added some elements of the Spread, tweaking those plays to cause uncertainty as to whether the ultimate play was a pass or run. These Spread plays are somewhat similar to what Chan has had success with recently. The inclusion of these Spread formation plays would allow current players an easier transition into the new offense, plus it keeps Tedford's offense from becoming stale and old-fashioned.

DC - Dan Quinn

Quinn is the current DC of the Florida Gators and has served as a defensive line coach in the NFL for the Seahawks, Jets, Dolphins, and 49ers. Given that the head coaching targets I listed predominantly came up as DB coaches, I like Quinn's expertise with linemen to balance the instructional strengths. Quinn has been highly successful at all levels and would be even more effective after learning from any of the above HC candidates, who would surely want to run their own defensive packages. Quinn wouldn't fight that and would be happy to listen, learn, and increase his football knowledge.

Free Agency - We must resign FS Byrd. Period. There are not many quality options in FA or the draft if we fail to bring him back, so this must be priority #1. Priority #2 is LG Levitre. I love the guy and want to resign him, however if the Cap numbers aren't there to make it happen, we fortunately have a ton of quality options in the draft. Priority #3 is resigning DE Moore. Moore had a breakout season once Anderson went down and IMHO outplayed Anderson noticeably. I want him back. Finally, and probably the most controversial would be resigning WR Jones. Our WR corps is not very strong and bringing back Jones would give us some stability. He has performed OK, so would at least be good depth for us. Also, I don't want to draft more than 1 WR this year as we have far too many other needs. I also don't think we have the Cap space to chase a big name WR in FA.

The Draft - Though it increases draft value, we are not a good enough team to draft strictly BPA. However, I would like to target BPA from a list of targeted needs. I am assuming we pick 13th.

1st - MLB Manti Te'o - Yes, I really do think he will fall this far and for one good reason...he is not a true thumper inside. He is more of a drag down tackler, but his sideline to sideline speed will improve our LBing corps immediately.

2nd - QB Ryan Nassib - Honestly, I don't want to make this pick, but I'm going to make it anyway. Why? Because we need a backup QB at the very least and with the addition of Tedford, someone with Nassib's ability to execute play fakes would be a huge plus. (Without the addition of Tedford, I'd probably go with LG/LT Dallas Thomas and move him to the RG spot.) If, big if, Nassib can develop enough to start in 2014, this just became a very good pick. It's a crapshoot at this point though and I hate doing that with a 2nd round pick, especially with this very weak QB class.

3rd - WLB Jelani Jenkins - He's small. He's injured. He'll be OK by next season and will fill a huge need we have at WLB, where Barnett can no longer be counted on. He analyzes plays quickly, is very fast, and goes aggressively to the ball. I also like the idea of reuniting him with DC Quinn. Is this a huge reach? On paper, yes, but looking closer shows us that the vast majority of this draft's OLB's are slow DE/OLB hybrids better suited for the 3-4 and we desperately need to fill this position.

4th - LG Gabe Jackson - We lose a lot of OL depth after this season and also need to find a RG. Jackson moves well, but is not a mauler, so best fit is with a zone blocking system like ours. Needs to spend some time in weight room. Rather not move him from left to right, but am having trouble finding guys with experience on that side.

5th - CB Robert Alford - Doesn't quite have the size I'd like to see and obviously hasn't faced premier competition, but the kid is a gamer.

6th - LT Manese Foketi - Developmental prospect who can handle speed rushers surprisingly well. Has strong, violent hands. Might be a RT or move inside at this level.

7th - FB/ILB/ST Zach Boren - ST stud who can also run block well. Versatile kid worth checking out at the end of the draft. McIntyre's contract is up at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
About time I put my wish list out there...also included my 1st mock, which I can guarantee won't look this way after the Senior Bowl! Laughing

All three have defensive backgrounds and have witnessed firsthand the benefits of a good running game and would likely be in favor of emphasizing that aspect of our offense.

First choice would be the Giants' Fewell, but given his past history with the Bills, he may not be interested. Personally, I'd swallow my pride and apologize for not having had faith in Perry and ask him to return. The fans would definitely embrace him and he'd have the players' respect.

Nolan has even more past HC experience than Fewell and like him has the defensive background. Nolan has mostly ran a 3-4 D, but has 4-3 experience as well and is currently running that with the Falcons. That combination of experience may be the reason for his very creative defensive playcalling this year.

Tucker actually already has a little HC experience as an interim for the Jaguars. He is their current DC and does call those plays. I think besides the successful defensive background with a sub-standard group of players, the thing that interests me the most is that he is the youngest of these 3 guys and I expect would relate well with the players.

OC - Jeff Tedford

Tedford is the ultimate chameleon. His base offense has been a Pro-style offense which emphasizes the running game first and uses play-action passes off of that. Depending on the skill set of his players though, he has flirted with a predominantly passing offense if the running game wasn't there. Over the years he has also added some elements of the Spread, tweaking those plays to cause uncertainty as to whether the ultimate play was a pass or run. These Spread plays are somewhat similar to what Chan has had success with recently. The inclusion of these Spread formation plays would allow current players an easier transition into the new offense, plus it keeps Tedford's offense from becoming stale and old-fashioned.

DC - Dan Quinn

Quinn is the current DC of the Florida Gators and has served as a defensive line coach in the NFL for the Seahawks, Jets, Dolphins, and 49ers. Given that the head coaching targets I listed predominantly came up as DB coaches, I like Quinn's expertise with linemen to balance the instructional strengths. Quinn has been highly successful at all levels and would be even more effective after learning from any of the above HC candidates, who would surely want to run their own defensive packages. Quinn wouldn't fight that and would be happy to listen, learn, and increase his football knowledge.

Free Agency - We must resign FS Byrd. Period. There are not many quality options in FA or the draft if we fail to bring him back, so this must be priority #1. Priority #2 is LG Levitre. I love the guy and want to resign him, however if the Cap numbers aren't there to make it happen, we fortunately have a ton of quality options in the draft. Priority #3 is resigning DE Moore. Moore had a breakout season once Anderson went down and IMHO outplayed Anderson noticeably. I want him back. Finally, and probably the most controversial would be resigning WR Jones. Our WR corps is not very strong and bringing back Jones would give us some stability. He has performed OK, so would at least be good depth for us. Also, I don't want to draft more than 1 WR this year as we have far too many other needs. I also don't think we have the Cap space to chase a big name WR in FA.

The Draft - Though it increases draft value, we are not a good enough team to draft strictly BPA. However, I would like to target BPA from a list of targeted needs. I am assuming we pick 13th.

1st - MLB Manti Te'o - Yes, I really do think he will fall this far and for one good reason...he is not a true thumper inside. He is more of a drag down tackler, but his sideline to sideline speed will improve our LBing corps immediately.

2nd - QB Ryan Nassib - Honestly, I don't want to make this pick, but I'm going to make it anyway. Why? Because we need a backup QB at the very least and with the addition of Tedford, someone with Nassib's ability to execute play fakes would be a huge plus. (Without the addition of Tedford, I'd probably go with LG/LT Dallas Thomas and move him to the RG spot.) If, big if, Nassib can develop enough to start in 2014, this just became a very good pick. It's a crapshoot at this point though and I hate doing that with a 2nd round pick, especially with this very weak QB class.

3rd - WLB Jelani Jenkins - He's small. He's injured. He'll be OK by next season and will fill a huge need we have at WLB, where Barnett can no longer be counted on. He analyzes plays quickly, is very fast, and goes aggressively to the ball. I also like the idea of reuniting him with DC Quinn. Is this a huge reach? On paper, yes, but looking closer shows us that the vast majority of this draft's OLB's are slow DE/OLB hybrids better suited for the 3-4 and we desperately need to fill this position.

4th - LG Gabe Jackson - We lose a lot of OL depth after this season and also need to find a RG. Jackson moves well, but is not a mauler, so best fit is with a zone blocking system like ours. Needs to spend some time in weight room. Rather not move him from left to right, but am having trouble finding guys with experience on that side.

5th - CB Robert Alford - Doesn't quite have the size I'd like to see and obviously hasn't faced premier competition, but the kid is a gamer.

6th - LT Manese Foketi - Developmental prospect who can handle speed rushers surprisingly well. Has strong, violent hands. Might be a RT or move inside at this level.

7th - FB/ILB/ST Zach Boren - ST stud who can also run block well. Versatile kid worth checking out at the end of the draft. McIntyre's contract is up at the end of the season.

That is a very different draft that I have not seen well I guess I was more getting at Nassib? I like this guy but do you think he is a second rd talent? Would you really put him over guys like Landry Jones, Tyler Bray if he comes out maybe Tyler Wilson if he slips.

Also you mentioned drafting a WR in the free agent slot and then didnt address that?

Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner

Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:

That is a very different draft that I have not seen well I guess I was more getting at Nassib? I like this guy but do you think he is a second rd talent? Would you really put him over guys like Landry Jones, Tyler Bray if he comes out maybe Tyler Wilson if he slips.

Also you mentioned drafting a WR in the free agent slot and then didnt address that?

Can't speak for him but I could see Bray staying another year and Landry Jones is just terrible.

Right now Nassib is a 2nd round prospect and could eventually get into the 1st round based on the pre-draft prospect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:

OC - Jeff Tedford

DC - Dan Quinn

Like Te'o, Nassib I could live with but there is a couple WR I'd want over Jenkins.. Te'o, Sheppard, Barnett, Bradham, ?? FA could be adequate.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:

At the very last second I edited my 3rd round pick from WR Quinton Patton from LA Tech to WLB Jenkins due to lack of available players to fill that role. I then forgot to edit what I had written above that. I blame the Nassib pick for this - it rattled me that much! Laughing I really want OLB Arthur Brown in the 2nd round, but I went with Nassib, because he is ranked higher on most boards now and I did say I would go BPA of needed positions. Unfortunately.

As I said, it won't look like this after the Senior Bowl. Consider this a very rough draft. I'm also more concerned with the things I wrote before the draft part.

As for Nassib, given how bad the QB class is coupled with the number of teams that really need a QB...yeah, I understand how he is getting a 2nd round grade. I think Ponder being chosen in the 1st has thrown a monkey wrench into QB valuations and now we are seeing QB's of questionable ability/skills being artificially valued.

And yes, I'd put him ahead of Bray, who I believe should stay in school for a variety of reasons. Still, I highly doubt Bray can fix what I believe ails him - immaturity. I believe Landry is the product of the system. Ignore his stats (actually, always ignore college QB stats) and watch the videos. He's probably more erratic than Fitz is with his ball placement, he panics when pressured, and we have no idea what his head is like because he's in a 1-read offense. At best, I think he is a long-term project. I believe Wilson is a 1st round pick and it wouldn't surprise me if Nix took him! Personally, I think we have more critical needs in the LB corps than at QB though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been day dreaming all day about what the Bills could do if Gailey is indeed let go. I thought this scenario would be interesting and is outside of the box, thoughts?

HC:
Rich Bisaccia

Former Bucs ST and assistant HC from 02-10, currently holds same position with Chargers.

OC:
Norv Turner

DC: Raheem Morris

Draft:
1. Take Manti or BPA CB,
2. Ran Nassib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Shanahan or Mcdaniels as HC might be good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: