Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks Brandon Browner, Richard Sherman face 4-game ban
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacks98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
Smart move. They should concede their appeals to make a better postseason run.

Agreed, This way Browner will be ready for the Wild Card game should we get there and Sherman can draw out his appeal as long as possible.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta make the playoffs first. One step at a time... like a carpenter who builds stairs.
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
if u aint cheatin u aint tryin:

I find it truly sad that this is an accepted way of thinking. If you can't win without cheating then you don't deserve to win. Any player caught cheating should be banned from the NFL imo. Need to get back to the state of mind that playing in the NFL is a privilige and not a right.
Keleth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

I find it truly sad that this is an accepted way of thinking. If you can't win without cheating then you don't deserve to win. Any player caught cheating should be banned from the NFL imo. Need to get back to the state of mind that playing in the NFL is a privilige and not a right.

Agreed however this is worse ....

Sacks98 wrote:
Nihc wrote:
Smart move. They should concede their appeals to make a better postseason run.

Agreed, This way Browner will be ready for the Wild Card game should we get there and Sherman can draw out his appeal as long as possible.

Not only condoning cheating but still trying to work out how best to use the getting caught cheating work to your advantage.

Sad thing is these people probably railed against the Saints and Pats for their cheating.
mco65

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aiming this at the Seahawks but the NFL in general. Teams need to be punished along with the player when they have a player test positive for PEDs.

If the NFL started levying FINES or docking draft picks against the teams themselves they would likely take a more proactive role in making sure players do not take PEDs. Teams certainly benefit from players who are on the PEDs yet they pay only a small price considering.

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities to think that the Seahawks won a game or two because their corners were HYPED up some.. shouldn't the Seahawks as a club be punished more than just loosing these 2 players for a few games?? Again, I am using the Seahawks in my example but you could basically put any team in place of them..
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
I am not aiming this at the Seahawks but the NFL in general. Teams need to be punished along with the player when they have a player test positive for PEDs.

If the NFL started levying FINES or docking draft picks against the teams themselves they would likely take a more proactive role in making sure players do not take PEDs. Teams certainly benefit from players who are on the PEDs yet they pay only a small price considering.

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities to think that the Seahawks won a game or two because their corners were HYPED up some.. shouldn't the Seahawks as a club be punished more than just loosing these 2 players for a few games?? Again, I am using the Seahawks in my example but you could basically put any team in place of them..

My problem with this is that you end up punishing the team for something that it cannot control. The coaches can only do so much to stop players from taking PED's.

Fining and banning the convicted players is far more than enough. If it's a key player, the team will suffer by not having them on the field. There is just punishment given to the team IMO.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
mco65 wrote:

My problem with this is that you end up punishing the team for something that it cannot control. The coaches can only do so much to stop players from taking PED's.

Fining and banning the convicted players is far more than enough. If it's a key player, the team will suffer by not having them on the field. There is just punishment given to the team IMO.

Agreed

Coaches can't follow the players home and hold their hands.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
mco65

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:

Perhaps but with the number of suspensions we have seen this season, it is obvious to me that a 4 game ban is NOT ENOUGH. Players are willing to risk a 4 game suspension in order to play better, to HELP their team WIN! If teams faced infractions themselves, they would certainly implement something to curtail the use of PEDs.. No doubt losing a star player would impact a team but wouldn't having a start player using PEDs also impact a team outcome??? seems like a push to me for the team..
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Tooki wrote:

Perhaps but with the number of suspensions we have seen this season, it is obvious to me that a 4 game ban is NOT ENOUGH. Players are willing to risk a 4 game suspension in order to play better, to HELP their team WIN! If teams faced infractions themselves, they would certainly implement something to curtail the use of PEDs.. No doubt losing a star player would impact a team but wouldn't having a start player using PEDs also impact a team outcome??? seems like a push to me for the team..

I agree, if you threaten to punish the team with suspended coaches or loss of draft picks it wouldn't surprise me to see them test their own players.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

It's not just the accepted way of thinking, it's the standard in the NFL and college. I don't personally agree with it, but it is what it is.

The thought process is something like this: If there's something available that can make you a better player or bring you back from injury quicker, and you don't take it, you're not being the best player you can be.

If you're not the best player you can be, you're shortchanging the team from being the best it can be. There's a reason these guys aren't ostracized from their team once they're caught- it's viewed as a cost of doing business.

That's not even bringing in to account the individual motivations for cheating...but that's why you'll never see a clean NFL locker room. I guess the odds are that at some point in pro football's existence, there might've been one clean team....good luck finding it lol.
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:

What makes you think the coaches want to stop their guys from taking PED's?

They want their guys to stop getting caught taking PED's. Big difference. The PED use is much more systemic than the way the NFL likes to portray it where the odd player here or there is the rogue exception. It's not like one of those After School Specials.
mozwanted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss use to play in the nfl. Practice squad for oilers. He said he use too see guys shoot up steriods in the locker room infront of coaches. He also told me warren moon was a prick and no one on the team could stand him. Kinda like the modern day cam newton.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
My boss use to play in the nfl. Practice squad for oilers. He said he use too see guys shoot up steriods in the locker room infront of coaches. He also told me warren moon was a prick and no one on the team could stand him. Kinda like the modern day cam newton.

Since we're sharing stories. When I used to work on a project down in Dallas, I went to Ten Sports bar every tuesday for dinner. Then Cowboy's LB, Kevin Burnett, whose now on the Dolphins used to do a weekly show there with Jean-Jacques Taylor.

IIRC, it was shortly after Rodney Harrison got busted for PEDs, but Burnett basically said (paraphrasing) "That everyone in the league knows that the Patriot players all do PEDs". Jean-Jacques was smart enough to steer the conversation elsewhere. Probably just sour grapes but I thought it was interesting...
Hurricane_Seasn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
mozwanted wrote:

Since we're sharing stories. When I used to work on a project down in Dallas, I went to Ten Sports bar every tuesday for dinner. Then Cowboy's LB, Kevin Burnett, whose now on the Dolphins used to do a weekly show there with Jean-Jacques Taylor.

IIRC, it was shortly after Rodney Harrison got busted for PEDs, but Burnett basically said (paraphrasing) "That everyone in the league knows that the Patriot players all do PEDs". Jean-Jacques was smart enough to steer the conversation elsewhere. Probably just sour grapes but I thought it was interesting...

I find stories like these fascinating. So much interesting information out there that you hear in the form of stories by players that would never be talked about to a reporter/camera. Cant flip on the TV or pick up the paper (usually) everyday and hear things like that straight from the source

^Props to Jamison.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
mco65 wrote:
Tooki wrote:

I agree, if you threaten to punish the team with suspended coaches or loss of draft picks it wouldn't surprise me to see them test their own players.
They aren't allowed to per the CBA, a few years ago there was a scandal that broke that accused the Cowboys of circumventing this rule w/ their annual physicals

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: