Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Move Decker to slot receiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
I don't think he is athletic enough as an #2 outside receiver. He doesn't turn or change direction fast enough nor is he fast enough to create separation on a consistent basis.

He can't do those things, in your evaluation at least, and you want to move him to do the slot?

We need like a remedial "Football Basics 101" class or something around here.

Laughing exactly, so our mod can learn football 101.

If Decker can't do those things, how would he fit in the slot?

1, Decker takes contacts pretty well, he doesn't shy away from tacklers. it is a huge plus, they make their living in the middle.

2, Decker is a great route runner which is the most important quality a slot receiver needs to possess IMO. you don't need explosive speed running crossing routes.

3, If you think slot receivers are better athletes than outside receivers then you need to rethink it. do you think Welker, Edelman, Stokley are athletic enough to be outside receivers? And don't tell me because they are short. Look at Steve Smith and Santana Moss.

Welker and Edelman have both been outside this yr. And both are extremely quick. That's what makes Welker good is he has quick feet and can create separation. Patriots(since 2 of the SL WR examples are from NE) really like shorter WRs that are quick. The emphasis on the 3 cone which really is one about moving well and changing direction(only one that didnt do well on it NE drafted iirc was Slater).
Bigger guys can play SL like Decker but they won't be running and doing the same stuff the Amendola's and Welkers do.

Though i do think Decker is a solid WR. He could end up being a good #2 but needs to improve his hands and be more consistent.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Decker should have his own sandwich, somewhere in town.

Some restaurant needs to offer a triple decker sandwich and a woodyard of beer.
Weber27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, yall are never satisfied! Yall are being really hard on Decker, I know he has made a few mistakes but he is well above average. Many teams would die to have Decker as their #2. He is a great route runner and his football IQ is what really makes him tick. I know he is not Calvin Johnson or DT but what he is, is a good fit for our team. Was Rod Smith a burner or a big play Calvin Johnson? No! Was Ed McCaffery any of those things? No! But what both of those players possessed was good work ethic, smart football players and could go across the middle. They are blue collar players that dont make their living on ESPN Highlight reels, but they do make their money on being a team guy who gives the team a reliable WR that can make plays and move the chains. Every team needs that possession WR that works hard and makes plays, and I think Decker has done that, not only this year but since he has put on the Broncos jersey. Look at teams like Buffalo, NY Jets, Arizona, Seattle and San Diego. Those teams outside of their main guy like fitz or Stevie Johnson dont have much of anything for a #2. Those teams would love to have Decker, and we as critical Bronco fans sit here and bash him like he is Ashely Lelie! Come guys! Our depth is lacking yes, but if we get some decent roll players behind DT and Decker we have a really nice WR group for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to really like Decker, reminded me of McCaffrey being a white boy, #87 and the awkward ways he fell and got tackled. Yea...

I think he was his best with Orton, to start last year, was good with Tebow at first then it's like he had his thumbs amputated one morning. I can remember the exact moment, right at the beginning of that Chicago game last year when he bounced the 1st pass off his facemask. From then on he's been really mediocre and doesn't seem to get better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: