Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Justin James Watt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
I remember when everybody was pissed (myself included) when we selected him 10 overall. Funny how things change. He is now tied for my favorite Texan with Arian Foster. This guy is going to be a force if he keeps this up. A year and a half into his career and he is already commanding double teams, already broken the PDF record and is on pace to have a 20 sack season. That's crazy for a 3/4 DE.

The NE forum were pissed you took him at the time too...

I'm not going to lie - at first, I was upset the Texans didn't take Prince Amukamara with the selection. I wasn't high on Kareem Jackson, and I didn't see either Nnamdi Asomugha or Jonathan Joseph as players we'd sign. I knew the 3-4 was the look we were going with, but I believed that Mario Williams and Antonio Smith would anchor the 5-Tech roles.

As the weeks progressed, and the Texans DID land J-Joe and Danieal Manning (as opposed to the Joseph/Eric Weddle or Michael Huff combo I wanted) and the whispers of Williams playing OLB in the new system, I started to lighten up my stance a lot. When I was able to see Watt at the open practices - when he was ragdolling the likes of Eric Winston, Wade Smith and Mike Breisel - I knew we had something SPECIAL, someone who was a freak of nature. By the time the 1st preseason game was played last season, I knew we had the best player from that draft, by a wide margin.

Glad to see I hit on that one...I tend to miss more often than not. Embarassed

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all be mindful of the fact that Watt has also had two sacks taken away from him - in Miami, along with the bogus "team sack" awarded when he sacked Locker for the second time.

17.5 sacks. Unreal.

Kenney>Everyone else on here
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
We should all be mindful of the fact that Watt has also had two sacks taken away from him - in Miami, along with the bogus "team sack" awarded when he sacked Locker for the second time.

17.5 sacks. Unreal.

Kub has already submitted his appeal to the league on the "team sack"
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watt got his second sack (and possibly forced fumble) credited to him. Beast.

Kenney>Everyone else on here
YellowSCRE4MS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its 16.5 for the season now rght?

Adopt-A-Texan: DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins
41 Rec 631 Yds 2 TD
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this week is a huge referendum for JJ Watt as MVP. QBs will always win that award because they touch the ball 60+ times per game, but if JJ can show a national audience (again) that his impact from a d-line spot can neutralize a first ballot Hall of Famer like Brady momentum will swing his way as we essentially lock up home field throughout the playoffs. Manti Te'o's Heisman run has also helped focus press attention on how a defensive player can be more impactful in W/L than a QB. The collapse of our secondary and the injuries at LB have just further shown where we would be without JJ. Peyton Manning is going to be tough to beat as the sentimental choice, but week 3 is there on tape for anyone to review and JJ Watt was the better football player on that day BY FAR with 2.5 sacks, 4 tfl, 3 qb hits and Manning with 26 INCOMPLETIONS to go with a bunch of 4th quarter yards against prevent with the Texans were milking a 20 point lead. Heck, I'm not convinced that Von Miller isn't the Broncos team MVP as I think you could put about 25 other QBs on that team (including Rivers and Carson Palmer) and still win that division considering a guy currently buried behind Mark Sanchez and Greg McElroy did it for them last year.

Personally if MVP is defined by number of wins a player is worth, I'd put Luck, RG3, and Adrian Peterson ahead of Manning along with Brady and Rodgers. Without Watt, the Texans defense that took the field last week would be literally one of the 5 worst in the NFL with Cushing, Reed, and Joseph hurt especially when you consider how awful we were in 2010 with Cushing and Mario healthy. I seriously doubt there has ever been a season in NFL history where one player led his team in tackles, sacks, and passes defensed which is defensive equivalent of leading an offense in passing, rushing, and receiving.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJ Watt, so good he gets sacks on Wednesdays. Shocked
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Watt got his second sack (and possibly forced fumble) credited to him. Beast.

Can they give him the sack and not a FF? That wouldn't seem possible so I assume he gets both.

#JDI
jargin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
I remember when everybody was pissed (myself included) when we selected him 10 overall. Funny how things change. He is now tied for my favorite Texan with Arian Foster. This guy is going to be a force if he keeps this up. A year and a half into his career and he is already commanding double teams, already broken the PDF record and is on pace to have a 20 sack season. That's crazy for a 3/4 DE.

I'm not going to lie - at first, I was upset the Texans didn't take Prince Amukamara with the selection. I wasn't high on Kareem Jackson, and I didn't see either Nnamdi Asomugha or Jonathan Joseph as players we'd sign. I knew the 3-4 was the look we were going with, but I believed that Mario Williams and Antonio Smith would anchor the 5-Tech roles.

As the weeks progressed, and the Texans DID land J-Joe and Danieal Manning (as opposed to the Joseph/Eric Weddle or Michael Huff combo I wanted) and the whispers of Williams playing OLB in the new system, I started to lighten up my stance a lot. When I was able to see Watt at the open practices - when he was ragdolling the likes of Eric Winston, Wade Smith and Mike Breisel - I knew we had something SPECIAL, someone who was a freak of nature. By the time the 1st preseason game was played last season, I knew we had the best player from that draft, by a wide margin.

Dude you wouldn't believe how many people kill me on youtube for saying I wanted Amukamara for the exact same reasons. We hadn't signed Joseph or Manning and we still had Williams, Barwin, Smith and Cushing in the front 7.

I get killed for saying he was the cleanest boyscout in the draft, which the Texans love.

But I wasn't wrong...he was the cleanest boyscout in the draft. Turns out he was also the best player in the draft. We needed a corner at the time, but Rick Smith had Joseph and Manning up his sleeve all along and I'm sure that Wade influenced his selection, but man, I think we are all glad we ended up with this guy.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Dude you wouldn't believe how many people kill me on youtube for saying I wanted Amukamara for the exact same reasons. We hadn't signed Joseph or Manning and we still had Williams, Barwin, Smith and Cushing in the front 7.

I get killed for saying he was the cleanest boyscout in the draft, which the Texans love.

But I wasn't wrong...he was the cleanest boyscout in the draft. Turns out he was also the best player in the draft. We needed a corner at the time, but Rick Smith had Joseph and Manning up his sleeve all along and I'm sure that Wade influenced his selection, but man, I think we are all glad we ended up with this guy.

I saw those comments on youtube. They still trying to get you. Laughing

I have to admit, I made a youtube video the same day we drafted Watt too, but glad none of the comments were THAT bad. Laughing

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I remember writing this in RashaanSalaami's Top 50 Cornerstones this offseason:

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
Enjoyed your write up for Watt. E.T. is adamant on his prediction that Watt will become the face of Texan success and is a future HOF'er. It's contagious. Love the guy.

On a team that has Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing and Jonathan Joseph, it was JJ Watt that Nike chose to be the poster boy of their marketing campaign for their new official NFL product line in Houston:

You see these posters in all local sporting good stores; Academy, The Sports Authority, Champs Sporting Goods, Barcelona Sports...pretty much any outlet that sells Nike products, you'll see posters like this in their NFL section, followed up by Watt jerseys in all Texans' colors. In perhaps the biggest marketing campaign that Nike has taken in conjunction with the NFL, Watt was the guy that they chose to represent the brand in the 4th largest market in the US (3rd largest in the NFL when you consider that Los Angeles doesn't have an NFL team). There were two names worthy of note, names that get press for their Fantasy relevance in Andre Johnson and Arian Foster - yet the rookie DE from Wisconsin got the nod, because of the tenacity and his quick acclimation to the speed of the NFL game.

The guy was a machine last year, and that showed the most when the Texans were front and center in the midst of their first playoff run, the first taste the rest of the NFL watching world had of this upstart team that is coming into their 10th season in the NFL. In the Texans' first playoff game in history, in front of a Reliant stadium crowd that was splitting at the seams, Watt made what is arguably the biggest play in Texans history - tied 10 - 10, with less than one minute left in the 1st half, Watt anticipated a slant route being thrown by Andy Dalton, timed his jump as the pass was coming in his direction, came down with the ball and rumbled 30 yards for a tie-breaking pick six:

JJ Watt INT return for a TD vs Bengals.

The ENTIRE CITY came unglued during that play. That one play set the tone and took the sails out of a Bengals team that was quickly coming back in. Watt knew the situation, read the play as it was happening and made one of the most incredible individual plays I have ever seen from my 25+ years of watching the NFL.

RS wrote:
At 6'5 285 pounds, the physical specimen from Wisconsin landed in Houston and stepped off the plane as an impact player, starting 16 games for the new Wade Phillips 34 front. With towering size and length, Watt often seems in control of his battle in the trenches. Only a punch, slap, or rip away from defeating or shedding his block, Watt can hold the point can disengage at will to make a play on the ball. Or as is more common in the Phillips 34 front, he does an outstanding job of shooting the gaps to create disruption in the backfield right off the snap. While many first year pros were hitting the "rookie wall", Watt was just getting into high gear. Though he finished the regular season with 5.5 sacks, 16 hits, and 21 hurries, he added 14 tackles, 3.5 sacks, and a pick six in his postseason encore. With a motor and energy that can fire up any defense, beyond-his-years knowledge of the game, and remarkable precision and work ethic at his craft, Watt has flourished in his role in the Texans' defense. With his rookie year accomplishments alone, there's little doubt that he could pick up a number of other positions in various schemes and be every bit as versatile to his scheme as a Justin Tuck is to his own. Here is a terrific, versatile, complete player in the making.

Excellent write up, RS...couldn't agree more. One thing that isn't hit on (but has become a staple of his game) is Watt's ability to time a QB as they are winding up and get a hand on a pass as it comes to him. As the clip I shared showed, Watt has shown that he can come down with a pass - but one thing that wasn't shown is that he tends to do things like this a lot. Might now pick off each pass as it comes by, but he often gets a big paw on the football mid-flight, altering the trajectory of the pass and closing a window and providing a DB an extra blanket of security. The DB is covering and has the benefit of Watt coming off the edge - but even in the event that Watt doesn't get to a QB, there's a good chance that he will get a hand up and swat the pass down.

It's a talent he works on, even while injured; Watt suffered an elbow injury in training camp this year, and instead of just waiting for the injury to heal, he's set up a JUGGS machine to fire footballs at him, so he can continue working on his timing to get a hand up and swat down the ball, amongst other things. (Just for fun, Watt - a former TE at Central Michigan before transferring to Wisconsing to play DE - set the JUGGS machine up and started to catch one-handed passes. By many reports, he caught 50 passes in a row at one point).

All of this is done in between sets of one-armed pushups that Watt does on the sidelines. In between all of THAT, he's a good enough teammate to get water to his teammates who are working in the brutal Houston heat.

In all of my years of watching this sport, I've only seen a few guys like JJ Watt; I have seen guys with a scary athletic skillset, guys who are freaks of nature with an impressive set of triangle numbers to go along with unusual size. I have also seen guys with an impeccable work ethic, guys who are going to go at 500 miles per hour, no matter what you ask of them. I have also seen guys who were very methodical, like a surgeon working open heart surgery - precise and deftly capable of what is being asked of them. I have seen guys who will cut their own arms and legs off if it means that the team would benefit. It's rare that I see ALL of these traits present in one man. I think I can name these guys off, guys I have seen embody this: Singletary, Rice, Seau, Lott, White, Reed, Payton, Campbell, Munoz, Matthews, Munchak, Favre, Manning, Brady, Lewis. These names have trancended the positions they've played and merely mentioning their last name has everyone reminicing of the things they brought to the table to further this game that we love; Guys who had a rare physical skillset, guys who show an aptitude for the position they played, guys who have identified ways to innovate, guys who perform at the highest level on each and every snap of this game that they impact.

I'm here to tell you, there's a new name to take note of, a new face at the table that all need to be aware of as we enter a new generation in football.

That name is Watt.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14478711#14478711

I'm giddy. SO giddy. Very Happy

Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of ET's positive thoughts --> Wife, little Tom, and J.J. Watt

All of ET's negative thoughts --> Game predictions, Titans fans, and... Kendall Wright Wink

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
All of ET's positive thoughts --> Wife, little Tom, and J.J. Watt

All of ET's negative thoughts --> Game predictions, Titans fans, and... Kendall Wright Wink

Hey! You can add Terrance Williams to the "positive" group. Laughing

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything this man can't do?

He sent multiple balls into the crawford boxes just now during the Astros BP include back to back to back.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_03_31_texmlb_houmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=hou#gid=2013_03_31_texmlb_houmlb_1&mode=video

Click the link, then go to the videos tab and youll see the JJ throws the first pitch vid and it shows a couple of his bombs in BP.
Quint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Is there anything this man can't do?

His tears can cure cancer....too bad he has never cried.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: