Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bears Big Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

Here are my big questions that impact the upcoming offseason that I need to find answers for during the mock draft and planning season.

This is of course assuming that Lovie is back as coach.

1. Does Gabe Carimi stay at OG or does he move back to the RT spot?

*This will impact what we need if he goes back to OT I believe LG is our biggest weakness and if he stays at OG, OT becomes our biggest weakness.

2. Is Brian Urlacher re-signed?

*If not MLB does not become a need greater than OL, but it screams up the list.

3. Do the Bears address the TE position in free agency or do they do it in the draft?

*Something has to happen as our offence is held back by the incompetence of Kellen Davis and there are interesting options in free agency like Jared Cook and Dustin Keller.

4. Can the Bears afford a free agent LT or is that too expensive?

*I hate the cost for a guy like Jake Long, but at the same time allowing that need to get to the draft is a risk and may lead to a reach pick.

5. Are Henry Melton and Lance Louis extended and what does that leave for the free agent budget?

*Once we take car of our re-signings what is our budget to improve the team. It is clear to me that there is a talent gap between the Bears and elite teams like San Fran and Atlanta.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Carimi moves back to RT at the start of TC next offseason.
2. Head says no Heart says yes.
3. We get a TE in the draft…not enough money to go out and sign one with our other needs and resignings.
4. Depends on if we resign Urlacher and for how much.
5. Both are extended…doesn’t matter how much if left in the FA budget we must keep Melton.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Here are my big questions that impact the upcoming offseason that I need to find answers for during the mock draft and planning season.

*This will impact what we need if he goes back to OT I believe LG is our biggest weakness and if he stays at OG, OT becomes our biggest weakness.

3. Do the Bears address the TE position in free agency or do they do it in the draft?

*Something has to happen as our offence is held back by the incompetence of Kellen Davis and there are interesting options in free agency like Jared Cook and Dustin Keller.

*I hate the cost for a guy like Jake Long, but at the same time allowing that need to get to the draft is a risk and may lead to a reach pick.

5. Are Henry Melton and Lance Louis extended and what does that leave for the free agent budget?

*Once we take car of our re-signings what is our budget to improve the team. It is clear to me that there is a talent gap between the Bears and elite teams like San Fran and Atlanta.
He's played really poorly at RT and really well at OG. I'll take the really well.

Sadly no

Either one. Depends on who's a FA and how much $

Yes but maybe not a top tier one.

Hopefully.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

He's played really poorly at RT and really well at OG. I'll take the really well.

Sadly no

Either one. Depends on who's a FA and how much $

Yes but maybe not a top tier one.

Hopefully.

1. I think the jury is still out but the problem I have is we cannot go into the season with our primary plan at RT being Carimi. If we can get a LT I would be okay with Webb going back and competing.

And is Carimi good enough at OG to not add a guy like Warmack or Cooper?

2. He is so broken at this point unless he wants to play another year for 2-3 million then I think he moves along.

If we get to sentimental we could cripple ourselves with this move.

3. I think the TE Market has some interesting names in Jared Cook and Dustin Keller so depending on economics I would be for signing one of them to a 4 million a year deal.

4. I might break the bank for Clady or Albert. But guys like Vollmer and Smith provide an upgrade and they will cost 3-4 million less a season. We need an upgrade at OT it does not have to be LT.

5. I think we resign both and hopefully stay under 7 million for Melton and 4 million for Louis.
Nads786

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Camri, I think we have to remember how well Louis played at RT when forced too. If Camiri ends up being a really good guard, Lance can play RT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nads786 wrote:
In regards to Camri, I think we have to remember how well Louis played at RT when forced too. If Camiri ends up being a really good guard, Lance can play RT.
Louis wasn't very good at RT. He's an OG. We'd be crazy to move him there on a permenant basis.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Nads786 wrote:
Louis wasn't very good at RT. He's an OG. We'd be crazy to move him there on a permenant basis.

I agree I think that Louis is just starting to look like a Pro Bowl OG and I would not move him for Carimi.

I think Carimi gets another shot at RT and then goes to LG or the bench.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

The chances Smith is back are dropping by the hour. So this speculation is useless.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

The chances Smith is back are dropping by the hour. So this speculation is useless.

That is something that would change a lot.

Then TE question for you is,

1. Who do you think will replace Lovie as HC?
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I have NO clue and don't pretend to. Picking a head coach is ridiculously difficult. Remember when the speculation was that Angelo would hire Nick Saban since he supposedly had an in as his friend? That crashed and burned and we would up with Smith.

I can only imagine this refusal was because he believed the organization was too f'ed up to get involved with and that now things are better but I don't know if either was the case.

We have seen college coaches come up and crash and burn (Harbaugh is a rarity), former NFL head coaches without a lot of success (Coughlin is a rarity), assistants who succeed and who fail. So your guess is probably better than mine. I would like to see someone with Bear ties if possible.

The name Bobby Patino won't get out of my head but I do not know how realistic that would be. I do know that, given the Bears, it is very unlikely. But we need someone that can build an offense and score points.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I have NO clue and don't pretend to. Picking a head coach is ridiculously difficult. Remember when the speculation was that Angelo would hire Nick Saban since he supposedly had an in as his friend? That crashed and burned and we would up with Smith.

I can only imagine this refusal was because he believed the organization was too f'ed up to get involved with and that now things are better but I don't know if either was the case.

We have seen college coaches come up and crash and burn (Harbaugh is a rarity), former NFL head coaches without a lot of success (Coughlin is a rarity), assistants who succeed and who fail. So your guess is probably better than mine. I would like to see someone with Bear ties if possible.

The name Bobby Patino won't get out of my head but I do not know how realistic that would be. I do know that, given the Bears, it is very unlikely. But we need someone that can build an offense and score points.

Bill O'Brien, Penn State HC and former Patriots OC.

Sign him up.
rub10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

1. He has shown promise at guard and terrible at tackle. IMO keep him at guard, assess his play and growth. If he does well, I dont see a reason to move him since then we solidify the guards with Louis and Carimi.

2. I think he is for another two years. He wants to retire a Bear, and I cant see him asking for too much money considering he has gotten 2 good pay days from the FO.

3. If there is a tight end in FA that would be an upgrade without killing the bank account, I say they go in that direction. Someone like Cook or Walker (49ers) would be worth looking at.

4. Depends on what happens with the other positions and if we sign a TE, or WR. I dont see the Bears breaking the bank.

5. Both are extended imo. Melton wont be cheap, but shouldnt cost us too much. We have spent alot of time in developing him and it would be dumb to let go of him. Lance Louis will also be resigned since for one, he was our best Olineman until he went down, and two, he should come cheap considering his injury.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Bill O'Brien, Penn State HC and former Patriots OC.

Sign him up.
Will he step off the Throne to be treated like a commoner in Chicago?
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Bears Big Questions Reply with quote

1. It all will depend on who is available to us in FA and the draft. None of the offseason camps start until after the draft anyway. If we go out and get a top flight LT in FA then my gut is that Webb goes back to RT and Carimi stays inside. If we draft a top prospect at OG and resign Louis then Carimi probably goes back outside with a good contingency plan in place should he fail again.

2. My gut tells me that Urlacher retires this offseason. His tone in the statements he has made publicly has transitioned from optimism about playing multiple more years to one of resignation of what he can and cannot do, and I don't see him as a guy who wants to hang on too long either. I do think his future with the Bears would be impacted if Lovie were fired though, because he certainly doesn't have the time left in his body to go through a rebuild.

3. It will depend on who is available in FA and at what price, but I would be shocked if the position isn't addressed. How we address other personnel moves will also impact this since we may need to use FA money elsewhere to extend our own core guys, specifically Cutler and Melton. We are getting nothing from Davis and outside of one catch two weeks ago I wouldn't even be sure Spaeth was still on the roster. I am surprised we haven't seen Kyle Adams get more looks as our primary TE. He can't really be much worse than Davis.

4. The Bears can afford to target a top LT in FA if 54 retires or isn't retained, if Peppers restructures his deal or if someone like Melton isn't kept. I don't see Melton going anywhere unless we are moving away from the Cover 2 next year but the other two are distinct possibilities. It has been said here that some would not be willing to pay the premium cost for a guy like Jake Long and I am absolutely NOT in that group. Even if Long is not an all-pro LT he would certainly be a stable long term fix at a key position, and that is worth paying a premium for IMO.

5. I think Louis will be extended, and believe his injury will probably keep the value of that contract down somewhat. Melton will either be resigned or franchised, again, unless we are undergoing a scheme transition to a 3-4 for which his skill set is a complete misfit (in which case I would expect for him to be tagged and then traded).

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I say he kicks back out to RT, I still have no clue why you guys think the staff changes their minds entirely off of whats been essentially what? 10 total games at RT I think? Like I have said before, I dont think mental reps help OL as much as it might help a position player who misses an entire rookie season. I give Carimi a "3rd year or bust" year.

2. Yes he resigns for 2 more years, this is a pretty easy choice, who are you guys even talking about is going to fill in for Urlacher NEXT YEAR?? Im all for drafting an heir apparent but next year not having Urlacher would make us a WORSE team....flat out...and the Bears are in win now mode....there is no reason to get WORSE next year.

*Also just on a sidenote, you guys realize once Urlachers gone, he's gone right? His replacement isnt going to just be new Urlacher....its going to be a late first rounder, maybe mid-round guy, or Nick Roach*

3. I think this is another Greg Olsen year...where we are picking in the 20's we probably get our pick of whoever the best TE is that year. Also, there are plenty of TE's in FA NOW and for some reason the Bears dont want to take a look at them for some reason.

4. I dont know about this one....I think this is where we get to see Emery's tendencies a little better.

5. Yea, I think both are resigned, Louis I dont even think will get a ton of offers....Melton I think we keep unless some bad team just pays him a ton trying to make a splash...like the Jaguars want to team him with Babin or some crap like that.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: