Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shea McClellin at OLB????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bears54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Shea McClellin at OLB???? Reply with quote

Ok, No we aren't going to put him at OLB as far as I know, but what if we did.

Here me out before you guys say anything....

With Urlacher out for at least 3 games, we need someone to fill in at MLB. It could be Nick Roach, Hayes, or Contanzo. Whoever it is, they will need to step up.

Now if it's Nick Roach at MLB, that leaves a hole at SLB in our Tamp 2 Cover defense. Our starters on our D-line right now is Peppers, Melton, Paea, and Idonji. Our pass rush has been good and great at times. But what if it could get better.

Back in the day we had an OLB by the name of Roosevelt Colvin who was a beast as a pass rushing OLB. He was basically used as a 5 pass rusher and we could get sacks. In 2001-2002 he was the first Bear since Richard Dent to record double digit sacks in back to back years. We have not had a pass rushing OLB since Colvin.

What if we put Shea McClellin in at SLB at times to blitz him off the edge off of Peppers butt. It could be the pass rush we need at times. Instead of blitzing Briggs, or our Nickle corner, I would rather blitz Shea. Shea could be our Roosevelt Colvin.

Its just an idea and something we should look into. Shea is a defensive playmaker with a high motor that hasn't really shined this year like i thought he was. I say we use him in certain situations and use his pass rushing skills to become our blitzing OLB. Just a thought, what you guys think???
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno Hayes was a good pickup and I think he can hold down the fort for now.

I like the idea of Shea at SLB. Not sure how it would actually turn out though. He's been a non factor most of the season and struggled to even spy Wilson last game. I think he needs to focus on becoming a pass rusher though.
Bears54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

I actually think Hayes might actually play better than Urlacher. He doesn't have Urlachers size or leadership but he has sideline to sideline speed and is more athletic than Urlacher right now given Urlachers age and decline in his career. I would like to see Hayes at MLB but I would like to see Shea at OLB pass rushing being the 5th rusher...
C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: yup Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
I actually think Hayes might actually play better than Urlacher. He doesn't have Urlachers size or leadership but he has sideline to sideline speed and is more athletic than Urlacher right now given Urlachers age and decline in his career. I would like to see Hayes at MLB but I would like to see Shea at OLB pass rushing being the 5th rusher...

I'd be pleasantly surprised if a guy with 7 tackles on the season makes us forget about a broken down Urlacher, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. Of course, Hayes will be playing outside, so it's not apples for apples. And I sure don't expect that Roach will play better than Urlacher. Best case scenario, Hayes makes us forget about Roach at the OLB position.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shea McClellin at OLB???? Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
Ok, No we aren't going to put him at OLB as far as I know, but what if we did.

Here me out before you guys say anything....

With Urlacher out for at least 3 games, we need someone to fill in at MLB. It could be Nick Roach, Hayes, or Contanzo. Whoever it is, they will need to step up.

Now if it's Nick Roach at MLB, that leaves a hole at SLB in our Tamp 2 Cover defense. Our starters on our D-line right now is Peppers, Melton, Paea, and Idonji. Our pass rush has been good and great at times. But what if it could get better.

Back in the day we had an OLB by the name of Roosevelt Colvin who was a beast as a pass rushing OLB. He was basically used as a 5 pass rusher and we could get sacks. In 2001-2002 he was the first Bear since Richard Dent to record double digit sacks in back to back years. We have not had a pass rushing OLB since Colvin.

What if we put Shea McClellin in at SLB at times to blitz him off the edge off of Peppers butt. It could be the pass rush we need at times. Instead of blitzing Briggs, or our Nickle corner, I would rather blitz Shea. Shea could be our Roosevelt Colvin.

Its just an idea and something we should look into. Shea is a defensive playmaker with a high motor that hasn't really shined this year like i thought he was. I say we use him in certain situations and use his pass rushing skills to become our blitzing OLB. Just a thought, what you guys think???
This is the kind of imaginative thinking which has no place with this staff.

In order for us to make the playoffs we are going to need: lights out coaching filled with imagination; players on defense playing over their heads; an offense which can score 20 pts by itself; and a lot of luck. In short, we have little chance.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: yup Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
You give "Wild-eyed optimist" a whole new meaning.
Bears54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Why not... Reply with quote

Geno Hayes is 25 years old and in 2009 he had 98 solo tackles with 3 sacks and 2 INTs. In 2010 he had 82 solo tackles with 4 sacks and 1 INT. In 2011 he had 64 tackles, 2 FFs and 1 INT.

Im not saying the guy is a stud, but I remember seeing him play with the Bucs and the guy stood out and made plays. I'm not saying he is better than Urlache or ever will be. But Urlachers play has been decent at best. He looks slow out there, you can tell he has obviously has lost a step, and at many times isnt a factor in plays when before he was.

If we had a faster, more athletic player out there, that could fly around and make plays which Hayes is capable of doing. He could do better than Urlacher as far as this season. Its very possible and for you guys to say its unlikely, impssoible, or a "wild eye optimist" like some of you stated. That just shows how much you know. This is the NFL and the next person steps up and plays. If he makes plays, he makes a name for himself and becomes a starter.

I know it was preseason but I remember when Hayes filled in for Urlacher and he look good. Im just going to seat back in my couch and see for myself how the guy plays.

And as far as Shea playing SLB at times to blitz to be a pass rushing LB is something we should definetly look at. The guy is our 1st round pick and hasnt really done much. Sending him as a 5th rusher could cause havoc and be something good.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shea is not a Tampa 2 SAM in physical attributes or, more importantly, in knowledge. He has spent zero time at the position. A constantly blitzing SAM is something from a different scheme. How many times do you see Roach blitzing? If Shea's not blitzing as a SAM, do you want him covering a TE up the seam or trying to tackle a RB in the open field? Those are skills he hasn't been asked to practice or even exhibit on the NFL level.

They have already used him in unique ways a few times (dropping in coverage on a zone blitz, roaming around the line and blitzing while standing up), and I'm all for expanding that a bit, but playing Tampa 2 linebacker is a different skillset. If they want to move him to LB, he would have the learn the position and exhibit that he could actually play it, which couldn't even be a possibility until next training camp.
MemphisBear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
No.

+1
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClellin has taken zero reps ever with the Bears at OLB. So, no.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, (admittedly not much) this is what I wrote about the Bears selection of McClellin at the time. Not sure how relevant it is all things considered but it's food for thought.

The selection of Shea McClellin bewildered me for a moment at first. Most assumed that McClellin would be on his way to Green Bay or New England, both 3-4 teams that enjoy using exotic defensive looks. McClellin's greatest strength is his ability to shift all over a defense. DT is the only spot he didn't play in Boise's Front-7, and he probably would have played there at times too if Boise wasn't stacked at the position. The Bears, on the other hand, are one of the most vanilla defenses in the league. They're a Cover-2 heavy, 4-3 team with the solid and dependable mindset that their scheme would suggest. Every player has a job and is specialized to that role. Why would they bring in the ultimate Swiss Army Knife? Is Lovie (Cover-2) Smith thinking about changing up his defense?

I eventually realized that the Bears aren't changing their defense, they're going back to the basics. The rest of the league is abandoning the "base defense." Several teams spent more time in a Nickel than they did with a traditional Front-7, this year. While the rest of the league shifts to the exotic defensive looks, the Bears are going to play McClellin at the SAM spot and play solid, fundamental, football out of their Base 4-3. It's not really obvious from his time at Boise, but McClellin is the ideal SAM backer. He's got ideal size, is good in coverage, can shed blocks, and is a very good blitzer. He makes all the sense in the world as the pick at 19.

Many linebackers in today's NFL are two-down players. They lack all but the most basic coverage skills. With offenses passing so much, teams are pulling these players and adding another defensive back. The Bears don't want to do that. They face the Packers and Lions as 25% of their games, both teams use some no-huddle offense and both have versatile offensive players that cause matchup problems for the traditional two down linebacker.

At this point in his career, McClellin's most NFL level ability is his coverage skills. He can move with a TE or RB and he's not going to get lost. This is a trait that McClellin shares with the other two Bears' linebackers. The Cover-2 asks linebackers to cover a lot of territory, something that the Bears' former SAM, Nick Roach, was incapable of doing. McClellin forms a trio that should succeed in taking away the middle of the field from opposing QBs.

He's a very solid run defender, with good strength at the point of attack and proper technique to stack and shed blockers. There aren't many TEs in the NFL that are going to be able to handle Shea in the run game, and he'll hold his own against many O-Lineman as well. He's a good blitzer, so good that people mistakenly think that he's a good edge rusher. He never had much success getting to the QB from a true DE spot, but he had a ton of success getting home on stunts and blitzes up the middle.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_teamarticle/758/20120515/breaking_down_the_bears_2012_draft/#ixzz2EruaZnNK
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My perspective of McClellin when he was drafted was that he would be best used in a manner similar to Mathias Kiwanuka, playing LB in non-passing situations and then sliding to DE to rush.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shea will play OLB when Lovie is fired and replaced by the 3-4 coach that Emery wants.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Shea will play OLB when Lovie is fired and replaced by the 3-4 coach that Emery wants.

3-4 defense: the greatest thing since sliced bread, apparently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: