Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The FIRST Stchamp98 2013 Mock Draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
You all should listen to an interview from Matt Barkley. He carries himself so well and I think that carries weight

So does Blaine Gabbert.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:
You all should listen to an interview from Matt Barkley. He carries himself so well and I think that carries weight

So does Blaine Gabbert.

so does Kevin Kolb.

sig made by mike23md
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98,
You really see Barrett Jones still being on the board when the Cardinals pick in round 1? I think his versatility to play just about every position along the offensive line along with his starting experience will be a huge plus for NFL teams. Also, I think he helped to answer alot of questions about how he would hold up against massive interior defensive linemen when Alabama played Georgia. Jones did an excellent job of handling single blocking assignments against John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers.

I see teams like the Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots really liking Jones in round 1.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The FIRST Stchamp98 2013 Mock Draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Round Four

Selection: Tyrann Mathieu, Defensive Back Formerly of Louisiana State University

Explanation: If you’ve fallen to the floor in shock, pick yourself up and hear me out. A 4th round pick….COST US NOTHING!!! Last year’s 4th round pick, Bobby Massie, got just 400K guaranteed. 400K. That’s pennies. If Tyrann flakes out, gets back into the drugs, screws around and never makes it, we’re out just 400K. And if he does straighen up, if he does make it, we’ve hit the freaking jackpot!!! This has annually been a round that we’ve taken big risks in (And this is certainly a big time risk). We took a big risk on small school player Greg Toler in the 4th round in 2009 taking on his off-field issues and incredibly limited tape/poor competition film. We took a big risk on O’Brien Schofield in the 4th round in 2010 after he tore his ACL at that year’s Senior Bowl. We’ve done it before, why not do it again? What have we got to lose? It’s been widely reported that he’s very close with Patrick Peterson and is apparently living with Peterson’s parents at the current time. If the straight laced PP21 can get with him and keep him on the straight and narrow, my god….think of the possibilities. Game changer in the secondary, game changer on special teams. I’m not saying this is going to work out. As a matter of fact, I think it’s at best a coin flip but if it does we’ve literally hit the jackpot. If it doesn’t, we’re literally out a measly 400 thousand dollars. I say pull the trigger. Really, what do we have to lose?

I never considered this possibility and I honestly love it. Really thanks for giving this idea for my head to wrap around and I love it, I'm speachless about it too. Love it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
stchamp98,
You really see Barrett Jones still being on the board when the Cardinals pick in round 1? I think his versatility to play just about every position along the offensive line along with his starting experience will be a huge plus for NFL teams. Also, I think he helped to answer alot of questions about how he would hold up against massive interior defensive linemen when Alabama played Georgia. Jones did an excellent job of handling single blocking assignments against John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers.

I see teams like the Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots really liking Jones in round 1.

All true. That said, I could see all those teams, the 3 mentioned, going other directions just as easily, Dallas and New York especially. Belichick, I mean, who kmnows what the heck he'll do?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Barkley still considered to be a top ten pick? for a while it sounded like he was going to have a Jimmy Clauson like fall on draft day, but then again, people thought Jake Locker would fall into round two as well. so yeah...

my point is this though, is a trade-down an option? obviously there needs to be a team willing to trade up, but hypothetically speaking, lets say we are picking 6th overall at the end of the year, could we trade down to the 12-20 range, pick up an extra second round pick, and still get Barkley?

once again, I know the whole idea behnd trading down is every draft-fans fantasy...more picks!!!!!...but is it a legitimate option here?

sig made by mike23md
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with DJ Swearinger is that sometimes he plays with too much passion and gets flagged. I've seen numerous instances where he makes an illegal hit or taunts. Also i wish he was a bit taller
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
Is Barkley still considered to be a top ten pick?

No. Adam Schefter reported this morning that Barkley is viewed as a late 1st round pick.

Schefter doesn't get these things wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
shawn wrote:

No. Adam Schefter reported this morning that Barkley is viewed as a late 1st round pick.

we cant judge this exactly now because draft stock fluctuates. Barkley will test well and rise up boards again
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
My problem with DJ Swearinger is that sometimes he plays with too much passion and gets flagged. I've seen numerous instances where he makes an illegal hit or taunts. Also i wish he was a bit taller

1. Playing with a little too rough is a concern, though it has absolutely nothing to do with upside or ability, which is what you cited in your first post.

2. Swearinger is rumored to measure just under 5'11". Could be higher obviously but that's the rumor going around. Troy Polamalu measured 5'10 1/8" at the scouting combine in 2003. Height for a safety is a relative non-issue. It's his speed and range that should the concern measurables wise. Height, again, non-issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
shawn wrote:

we cant judge this exactly now because draft stock fluctuates. Barkley will test well and rise up boards again

It's Adam Schefter. He doesn't get these things wrong. He called our pick last year at 13 when we still had 6-7 minutes left on our clock. He called Sam Bradford as the #1 pick and Cam Newton as the #1 pick 2 months before they happened, when everyone said neither guy would go at that spot. If he says it, you can take it to the bank.

And of course, Barkley won't test well. He's gonna measure under 6'3", he won't do anything great athletically and his arm strength is below average to the league. He's the type of guy you DON'T want to judge off of the combine. He's gonna get to Indy and have to rely on the interviews and the grease board sessions to regain traction. The measurable side of that week will hurt him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the draft. First off, great write up...enjoyable read loaded with logic and obviously a good dose of risk-taking to keep it interesting.

The picks:

1. Props to you. This took guts and even more impressive is that you didn't let your personal opinion on the guy sway you from drafting as if a new staff was in place. I understand your logic and it does make a lot of sense. I couldn't think about actually hopping on this bandwagon, if it weren't for the recent change in rookie contracts. That resulting lower cost in rookie pay makes this risk possible IMHO. If the FO brings in an OC who likes to spread things out and run a lot of quick slants and screens, etc., he'll be fine. Who knows, maybe even Chan Gailey ends up here as an OC. IMHO I think his chance of being let go is 50/50 now.

2. Would love Barret Jones on this team, but already mentioned that I expect him to be unavailable at this pick.

3. Been thinking about our earlier discussion about DJ not being available in the 4th. I've also seen more activity online mentioning his name, so you are probably onto something with him going before the 4th round. I agree that this would be an excellent pick, getting a player who I think would really thrive in the defensive scheme and fills a need at good value.

4. Another risk, but IMHO not so much for the possible wasted salary as what if someone else could have been brought in who could make a difference (if he can't). Though given that PP's family has already opened up their home to Mathieu, that is a good sign. I'm OK with taking risks on 1 maybe 2 injured and issues guys per year, but usually at later rounds. As you said, if he pulls his head out though, this is a very, very huge pick. Given the number of guys whose contracts are ending, this position makes sense. I get why you rolled the dice...I would have waited another round (and possibly/probably would have missed out).

5. Terrific value pick here to upgrade our depth and would be dumbfounded if anyone else who had seen any game footage said otherwise. Given how strong this draft is for OL guys, he probably will still be here for us in the 5th.

6. Klein had been on my radar. Honestly, it was hard to see on videos what his speed was, so I didn't know. The info in your post (which I hadn't heard before) scares me more than reassures me. The guy can flat out tackle though, can't he?!? Again, given how rare it is to really hit on 6th/7th round picks, this should be pretty good value, maybe even great.

7. I have my eyes on another TE who can block somewhat better (but not much) than Juszcyzk can, but expect him to go in the 6th round. I won't ding you for targeting a TE who mostly is a ball-catcher as the vast majority of TE's this draft are better receivers than blockers IMHO. And depth at the position is something we need.

Overall I like this draft, but the biggest disappointment would be the lack of an OLB. I also would not have gambled with your 4th round pick. Those I would tag as negatives. I also wouldn't have gone after Barkley, however, given you specifically said that the coaching staff would change, I'd have to admit that your 1st round pick of him would probably be more valuable to the team than mine. So, I'd give you a bonus positive tick for that move.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so a trade down is an option?

maybe pick Barkley 18th overall, and have an extra second round pick. and once again, hypothetically speaking. if we were to trade down and gain extra picks, would you like the idea of using those extra picks to trade back up into round one to get one of the first round talent who might slide on draft day, in the 28-32 range?

guys like Warmack, Barrett Jones, Jonothan Cooper, Eric Fisher, and so on?

sig made by mike23md
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Champ. Although I think there is a small chance Geno Smith will be there Matt Barkley has the leadership qualities to succeed at the next level and would automatically be the best QB on the roster.It's a pick the team has to make.
Anyhow he will show the arm chair QB's that if given the chance.

Champ where do you rank Jarvis Jones? Just curious. After the combine I think he could go top 10.
iRobot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
Perfect Champ. Although I think there is a small chance Geno Smith will be there Matt Barkley has the leadership qualities to succeed at the next level and would automatically be the best QB on the roster.It's a pick the team has to make.
Anyhow he will show the arm chair QB's that if given the chance.

Champ where do you rank Jarvis Jones? Just curious. After the combine I think he could go top 10.

You could tear this one apart: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/nfl-mock-draft-2013-round-1_n_2243619.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: