Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cedric Griffin suspended for PEDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
No calls for Kevin Barnes .. ???
i want KB back! I never thought we should have cut him in the first place. I don't think Cedric is that much better than Barnes and I don't believe that the #4 and #5 CBs we've kept all season have shown as much potential as Barnes did in his three years with the team. That decision is still a head scratcher to me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric Griffin with terrible knees >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kevin Barnes

You can't leave Barnes on Nicks and expect positive results. The defense started playing better when they had Griffin back, moving D.Hall to the slot and allowing them to play their nickel more often.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
Cedric Griffin with terrible knees >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kevin Barnes

You can't leave Barnes on Nicks and expect positive results. The defense started playing better when they had Griffin back, moving D.Hall to the slot and allowing them to play their nickel more often.
are we talking about a gimpy Hakeem Nicks of 2012 or a healthy Hakeem Nicks of 2011?

Because let's be honest here, those are two different players.

Barnes had 2 ints last year. Ced Griffin Zero.

All in all, you are right C Griff "HAD" value, but thats gone now because he had to take PEDs in order to compete on the field. In total hindsight/retrospect I do see why we kept Griffin because he's physical and experience. I still would have kept Barnes though over signing the Bums we have over the past few months. I would have liked to have kept both guys for this season.

I think Barnes should have been our 4th cb this year and Crawford should have been #5

Cedric Griffin should be a gonner after this year. The cb position has to be seriously upgraded if we are going to be playoff contenders for years to come.

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the best option out there is to sign Ade Jimoh. It will be the 2005 playoff run all over again Cool

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Honestly, the best option out there is to sign Ade Jimoh. It will be the 2005 playoff run all over again Cool
sure and we should bring back. What was his name, Wilds? Also... Laughing
rizzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly thought he has been our 2nd best corner, certainly much better than Wilson has been all I have seen from Wilson this year is him falling down, having his back turned or diving and missing the ball.
NHL-Capitals
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
I honestly thought he has been our 2nd best corner, certainly much better than Wilson has been all I have seen from Wilson this year is him falling down, having his back turned or diving and missing the ball.
wilson has mostly taken the #1 assignments that I've seen. Cedric Griffin only comes in during nickel situations and he doesn't usually match up vs the other teams best wrs.

Totally different sample size IMO
rizzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
rizzy wrote:
wilson has mostly taken the #1 assignments that I've seen. Cedric Griffin only comes in during nickel situations and he doesn't usually match up vs the other teams best wrs.

Fair enough, also prob helps that I expected him to suck so when he makes a play I am pleasantly surprised where as I have always liked Wilson.
NHL-Capitals
kerrdawg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Griffin has played well this year when healthy. He was by far our most physical corner and is really the only guy we had to match up against the bigger receivers. His loss will be felt, same as it was when he was injured earlier.

I'm thinking we will roll with what we have at DB for the rest of the year. Looks like Crawford is in the doghouse at this point. He's been inactive the past few weeks, while DJ Johnson and Jerome Murphy have been active. I would expect one of the latter two to get first crack at filling in for Griffin. Let's hope someone steps up.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the PEDs at least help? He was putrid with the Vikings and I was escastic to see him go.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"Welcome to the end of your life and I promise it's gonna hurt"

"Fresh out of the Factory with no warrenty and already broken what a pity"
Dashing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BigJohnson"]
mike23md wrote:
Dashing wrote:
Best CB FA I found is

if you cannot make it on the Raiders roster as a CB, then you must be garbage.

cough: d'angelo hall: cough

either way, we need to make moves. should've snagged Routt. as said previously, i really don't want DRC that guy is trash

DRC is trash but is much better as a nickle/dime guy IDK what happened to him but when Miles Austin burnt him i knew he wasnt that good.

Best Vet again is Domo if this was 2006 and Lito Shepperd was a FA Id be like Championchip if we signed him but now he is washed up its sad how a talented guy went down hill. We will probably sign a PS member we usually do.
Dashing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Dashing wrote:
Best CB FA I found is

Domonique Foxworth
Will Blackmon
Kelly Jennings
Lito Shepperd

we brought in Leigh Torrence in pre-season so knowing us we probably pick a guy up from PS or resign him.

Foxworth has retired.

Will Blackmon was worked out by the Seahawks last week.

Kelly Jennings doesnt seem like he was injured, as he has been consistent playing more than 14 games a season each of his 6 years in the league. Not a ball hawk but could be serviceable.

Lito Shepperd bounced from the Eagles to the Vikings to the Raiders and was cut by the Raiders, and if you cannot make it on the Raiders roster as a CB, then you must be garbage.

I think we should bring back Brandyn Thompson.

I am not sure if Justin Tryon is out there but he could be available.

Also I would bring back in Leigh Torrence if they did bring him in the preseason.

I want to see Brandyn Thompson back.

Well some got away but I agree on Thompson . Kelly jenning too .
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
rizzy wrote:

Fair enough, also prob helps that I expected him to suck so when he makes a play I am pleasantly surprised where as I have always liked Wilson.
haha! That's a great way of putting it. I do it with Hall also, we expect Hall and Wilson to be perfect, and when they aren't we rag on them. Then a guy like Cedric Griffin plays average most of the time, gets beat, but recovers on an under thrown pass by Eli or Brees and we think he's playing better. It's simply not the case IMO.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Did the PEDs at least help? He was putrid with the Vikings and I was escastic to see him go.
in a few games, I'd say it did. When healthy he played pretty well and was physical, but you knew he was a good tackler- he was in Minny also.

He did get beat sometimes, but he was good fora #3 cb. He wasnt expected to be a starter, nor was he paid like one, like when he was in Minny.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Mattdee11 wrote:
I think between we Jackson and Meriwether they will shore up one starting saftey position atleast .

I wouldn't even think of relying on Jackson. Down that road lies foolishness.

Meriweather might pan out, but I would point out he has only started one complete year in his six year career (2009). It would be nice if he was our main line starter, but that might also be a risky play.

Quote:
I think we need a complete overhall at CB and keep one of our current starters as a thrird CB .

Well, Hall's probably too expensive from a salary perspective but has no guaranteed money remaining on his contract. So, cutting him would be $7.5M in cap space reclaimed right then and there.

Wilson is only signed through 2013. He would make $3.9M in salary next year, and has $1.333M in a signing bonus portion plus $0.1M workout bonus. If they keep him, he has a $5.333M cap value; if they cut him, they save $2.667M in cap space.

Cedric Griffin's only on a one year deal, and given his poor play and the PED suspension, I'd be surprised if they brought him back.

However, after those three, we've got:
Jerome Murphy
Richard Crawford (rookie)
D.J. Johnson
Chase Minnifield (rookie; coming off IR)
Buddy Jackson (rookie; practice squad)

Gutting the secondary could be done, but does it make sense?

Quote:
If Keenan could step in for Fletcher as a starter I think our front seven will be fine other than getting some depth at pass rush.

Hard to replace that leadership.
Woz is hitting the nail on the head per usual.

- Don't expect Tanard Jackson to be cleared, but it doesn't hurt to have him try out. Same with Pugh, Doughty and Madieu Williams if the roster pots are available for ota's/mini-camp's and training camp

- Hall needs to be gone. He's too expensive given how inconsistent he is and he can't quit from being an instigator, acting a fool with the media, being a poor example and leader for the young players

- I honestly expect Wilson to be here, possibly at a reduced salary though. That's a high cap #, given how inconsistent he's been this year

- I agree Cedric Griffin will be gone. It makes no sense to keep him.

I like that group of young guys you have listed there. They will bring good competition for the 3-5 cb spots on our roster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: