Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manti Te'o and other off-season thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
+1 for Ogletree. He has everything we need in a staple 4-3 MLB. Character issues are a concern, however, though I would still roll the dice.

what are those? i'm not familiar with his background.

He stole a motorcycle helmet

He also failed a drug test during spring practice, leading to a 4 game suspension to start this season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm as big of a fan of Te'o as you will find. I really want the Vikings to draft him. And you don't have to stop with the bears. The elite 4-3 defenses if the last 10+ years all have on thing in common: elite MLB. Baltimore, san francisco and Chicago. I think Te'o fits that bill. Vikings defense would he set for the next decade with Te'o.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
I'm not high on Manti Teo, he's too slow. Alec Ogletree is a better fit for the defense and will be available by our pick.

Too slow?

What are your standards for speed then? Teo isn't slow.

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeADunn wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:
I'm not high on Manti Teo, he's too slow. Alec Ogletree is a better fit for the defense and will be available by our pick.

Too slow?

When Ogletree runs in the mid 4.5 range and Te'o runs in the mid to high 4.7, he is slow. San Fran, Chicago, Baltimore all have fast athletic MLBs in common, Te'o is overrated. Lewis 4.53, Willis 4.37, Urlacher 4.52 Te'o is no where close to being in the same category as them.
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch you'll see him get exposed by Alabama, he has played terrible competition.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, if they can't draft Te'o, they can certainly bring in Urlacher for a year to fill in until someone else can take over. The Vikings like NFC North foes whose time has come to move on from their original franchise.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
Just watch you'll see him get exposed by Alabama, he has played terrible competition.

Really lets take a look at that real quick
Michigan and Michigan State - both looked at as preseason top teams.
Stanford, USC, and Okalahoma- Yeah thats really bad competition right there
Miami, Pitt, BC, BYU, Purdue and Navy- Maybe not the best record wise, but there still not some 1AA team that some teams play.
Seriously you should look at the schedule and who they play before you come with that.

Te'o is an absolute stud, always has and will be at the next level. If we were able to draft him do it and don't look back.

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis
PeteyPercyPonde

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:

Too slow?

When Ogletree runs in the mid 4.5 range and Te'o runs in the mid to high 4.7, he is slow. San Fran, Chicago, Baltimore all have fast athletic MLBs in common, Te'o is overrated. Lewis 4.53, Willis 4.37, Urlacher 4.52 Te'o is no where close to being in the same category as them.

I don't know how much Notre Dame football you watched, but Te'o is just so damn instinctive out there. He seemed to be in the middle of the play everytime, making tackles and defending and intercepting passes. I love his intensity, and from everything I have seen and read from players and coaches he is a natural leader, something this defense lacks.

I would love to have him on this team, but from all the mocks I have seen he is going around pick 5.

Here's a question. What if the Vikings are picking 14-18 range and Geno Smith is on the board when it's our pick......
BigDog74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkavikes27 wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:

Really lets take a look at that real quick
Michigan and Michigan State - both looked at as preseason top teams.
Stanford, USC, and Okalahoma- Yeah thats really bad competition right there
Miami, Pitt, BC, BYU, Purdue and Navy- Maybe not the best record wise, but there still not some 1AA team that some teams play.
Seriously you should look at the schedule and who they play before you come with that.

Te'o is an absolute stud, always has and will be at the next level. If we were able to draft him do it and don't look back.

I echo the feeling. I like Ogletree don't get me wrong. He can be a solid NFL MLB for years in our system, but there is always a chance one of his "character issues" pops up. I know its recent but the Titus Young issues in Detroit give me pause when it comes to players such as Ogletree. With Te'o I just feel as though its a home run. No off the field concerns, elite production at the college level and if you want to go all Bryce Brown on the situation he was a top 3 recruit out of HS.

I really think that with 6 weeks of training specifically for the 40, like every other NFL draft entry does, that there is no way Te'o doesn't run under a 4.6 at the combine. The great thing about him is that despite his 40 time (or to back up a low 4.5) he also plays fast on tape. He could run a 4.7 and still be a mid first round pick without reservation. Remember Navorro Bowman ran a 4.7 prior to the draft and despite that now some NFL guys believe he's overtaken P-Willy as the #1 LB in SF. Speed is the #1 most over-rated attribute in MLBs IMO
Zephiel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is with Ogletree is that I really don't see him as a 3-down linebacker. He reminds me of EJ Henderson in that he's a sound tackler but not a lot else. Plus he's got character concerns and we know Spielman likes heady guys.

I prefer Arthur Brown. He's going to be a steal. He's a leader, playmaker, an instinctive player and assuming he puts on weight he should be able to play MLB in our system.

Mosely is a good fit too, very good in coverage for a linebacker
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:

Yeah because Stanford, USC, and Oklahoma are terrible competition

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we sign a established #1 Reciever in FA I'd be open to trading up to get Te'o. I think he'll be that good and history has shown that elite defense have elite MLBs. Also reaks of Spielman, Team Captain, Elite Intangibles, Good athletiscm, Sound Fundementals and Spiel seems to love his Golden-Domers.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"No! try not! Do or do not. There is no try.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogletree got exposed in the Alabama game. He struggles against the run and, as it stands, our defensive line wouldn't be able to protect him.

I like Ogletree as a fit for our defense if we can improve our interior defensive line. As a player, and defensive leader, give me Te'o over Ogletree every time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: