Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packerraymond 2013 Mock off-Season V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Packerraymond 2013 Mock off-Season V2 Reply with quote

We finish out the season 12-4 with the NFC North Championship in hand. I'll have us picking 26 for the purpose of this mock because that is where we'd pick if the draft was today and I do not want to jinx anything in the post-season.

Departures (of note):
Donald Driver
Cedric Benson
Jeff Saturday
Greg Jennings (tag and trade to Carolina for 2nd round pick)

-Finley returns
-Woodson restructures final 2 years of his deal:

FREE AGENCY

Rashard Mendenhall RB Pittsburgh: (1 yr 900k with incentives reaching to 2m) I think Mendenhall is the perfect FA signing for us, he's had just an awful year, but I'm speculating he's still not 100% from that ACL just yet. He has driven down his market price to the point where I think he get's a 1-2 year "prove it" contract somewhere and this could be an ideal fit for him. If he busts your out less than a million bucks, but he's still young and should have 2-3 years left in the tank.

Desmond Bryant DL Oakland: (3yrs 7.5m):

Had my eyes on Bryant for awhile in Oakland. Has all the makings of a great 3-4 DL and will surely want to get the heck out of Oakland. He's still young and will battle CJ Wilson for the starting spot in the base 3-4.

DRAFT:

Round 1: Tavon Austin 5'9 170 WR/RB
School: West Virginia

If one Randall Cobb is good then two must be great right? All kidding aside Austin is made for an offense like New England or Green Bay. His YAC skills and ability to line up at any skill position outside QB is what MM dreams about in regards to his personnel packages. By letting Jennings walk Green Bay frees up money to keep Jones and Nelson around on the outside, and maybe attempt to keep Finley if he market price isn't too high. Playing Jones and Nelson outside with Cobb and Austin inside will present a nightmare for any D-coordinator. I could even see a wildcat formation with Cobb at QB and Austin at RB in the future. Flexibility is always something the Packers look for in draft picks, and with Austin there really isn't anything on offense and special teams he can't do.

TRADE: Having two 2nd round picks TT sees a player he likes falling and calls his buddies in NE offering both of his 2nds for their 1st round pick and 3rd round pick

Round 1: Barrett Jones: 6'4 310 OL
School:Alabama

I hate putting the "obvious" pick in my mock but this one might be more obvious than even the Raji or Hawk picks of years past. Jones is a great center and we need a center, but he can play guard and tackle too and we need depth there. Again versatility is always what the Packers look for in draft picks. The more flexibility you have, the more areas you can help out a team. Jones in the late 1st in great value. He battles EDS for the center position and if he loses out, he can be a back-up at LT,LG,C,RG,RT. It just makes too much sense here.

Round 3: Kyle Long 6'6 310 OL
School: Oregon

A player who will be drafted based on potential and skill set and not college production, Long is a risk Green bay can afford to take. He's another OL that can play inside or out, although he might be a little tall to play in side in the pro game. He's had to grow up and it looks like he's finally matured and becoming the football player that runs in his blood. Bloodlines are always something that is looked at extensively in the NFL and Long has some great ones. Between Sherrod, Jones, Long and Newhouse it will be quite the battle for the starting LT spot in Green Bay.

Round 3: Robert Lester: 6'2 210 SS
School: Alabama

I'm not happy at all with the safety play we've gotten this season. Last week was the first week Morgan Burnett was anywhere close to a playmaker in the secondary, and even then, his run support and missed tackles were awful and responsible for about 150 yards worth of AP's day. McMillian has not been much better, neither has MD Jennings. All three of these guys are young, so I'm not giving up on any of them, but added competition is needed and Lester is a smart talented player ready to step in and play. Has that pedigree of playing for some great defenses.

Round 4: Johnathan Franklin 5'11 195 RB
School: UCLA

Franklin would be close to a 1st round pick if he was 15 pounds heavier IMO, really has all the things you want in a starting RB, he's just small. TT takes a shot on him here, and hopes he can add 10 pounds in the weight room.

Round 4 (Comp): Christine Michael 5'11 220 RB
School: Texas A&M

By signing Mendenhall and drafting Franklin and Michael, TT proves he's not playing around with the RB position. Between those three and Starks and Green 3-4 will remain and the others will be cut, none of them have contracts that we can't easily rid ourselves of. Michael has had some injury problems, but is a talented runner.

Round 5: Will Davis 6'0 190 CB
School: Utah State

A 3rd team All American, Davis has interceptions in 5 straight games, he's long and tall which is what TT typically drafts corners for. Don't have a great need for CB with House and Hayward playing so well, but TT keeps up with the NFL trend of passing by continuing to add young DB's to his roster.

Round 6: AJ Klein 6'1 245 ILB
School: Iowa State

The kid form Kimberly, WI has gone on to do big things in the NFL. Perfect type of guy to add to a team in the 6th round. You know you're going to get his best everyday.

Round 7: Larry Webster 6'6 240 OLB
School:Bloomsburg

Webster also has NFL bloodlines but choose to play basketball in college. With one year left of eligibility he chose to suit up for one season of football, and showed amazing potential. Might as well draft someone with his athletic gifts in the 7th round and see if it pans out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is Lester. If you hate poor angles and so-so pass coverage, I'm not sure why you'd take him. I'd rather grab someone like Duke Williams from Nevada.
justo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Austin really a Packer guy? I mean ,that's not really the fit for the Driver/Jenning WR or a starting RB for us. If we didn't have Cobb then maybe, but I don't think we take him that early.

Jones+Long would make me cry with happy. Last I heard Long is trying to get another year at Oregon. Only played one real year of college football which scares me. Blood line is good though. Both of them are more Gs to me than OTs. Jones could start at C for us in a year though. Something like Sherrod/Newhouse-Jones/Lang-Saturday-Sitton-Bulaga/Lang would make the Packers OL a plus. Honestly when our offense is healthy we are only below average at OC IMO.

Lester is proof that geometry is banned in Alabama. Kid doesn't take the right angles.

Franklin is so good. I hate watching our run D vs UCLA. So what's with Michael? Didn't he like fall off the map or something? I keep seeing his name thrown out a bunch again, after I hadn't seen it since the offseason. Haven't watched much aTm this year.

Utah State player? Ted Thompson lock.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin is the kind of athlete we take IMO, MM love being able to line up in an unlimited number of personnel groups, and Austin just adds to that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. Have had Long and Klein in my mocks before. Would still prefer Cooper to Jones, but Jones is def the more likely one to be available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added Mendenhall to the mock I am working on yesterday. I think that it could be realistic too. A short term incentive laden contract allows him to regain form, collect a higher salary if he does, and get to free agency again before he hits 30. I think that he could really provide some stability if he can get back to form.

I am not sure about Austin. Athletic ability and mismatch wise he would be great, but Cobb already provides that for us. I do not see as much potential in our offense as other receivers, ones that may not be as athletic, but can play outside and inside. I think that Austin could provide a role for us, but it would be diminished because we already have Cobb to get the majority of those roles first.

I like Jones in the first, seems to be a guy that really can provide a lot for the line, even if he does not start immediately.

I had Long as a late round pick for us in a mock, before he became a starter, and think that he would be a good player to develop and at the least provide more depth for the next couple of years.
Hurricane_Seasn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id need a new change of underwear if the first 4 rounds look liked that Shocked

^Props to Jamison.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to go over the FA part here for obvious reasons.

As for the draft. That's too high for me on Austin but I would love to see what Mac could do with that set. Kids electricity with the ball in his hands. Not sure they will hold the premium some others will with Cobb around. Then again, there's no better insurance policy to a Cobb injury than that kid in this class.

Hard to fight anyone on Jones. No player in the class feels more like a Packer than Jones.

Long has asked for another year of eligibility. Will be interesting to see how that plays out for him. Kid has a strong case IMO. Shame on them if they don't give him another year. That said, could be a value play on draft weekend if not.

I would not fight ya on Lester there. That's his high board for me right now though. Can't wait to see the numbers there.

Not going to complain about the RB's. Bring a few in and let them compete. Those two would complement each other well also.

Rest are just guys for me. Webster is interesting though. Not sure he is worth the investment. But there are some legit skills there and you can't coach the great frame that kid was born with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I would absolutely love this draft.

Dont get the Long pick tho. I feel like we could pick up someone else there. OL wasn't a huge issue until players started going down. Sherrod still hasn't really had a chance to prove himself.

Drafting Long is essentially giving up on a first round pick of 2 years ago in Sherrod.

Love the Jones and Austin picks tho.
Really like Franklin

With signing Mendenhall we dont really need another back in Michael but at least you understand the need (which is more than some can say)

Safety is addressed a little early for my liking (im nitpicking at this point)
I genuinely feel good about McMillian and Burnett but adding Lester wouldn't hurt so i'm not arguing by any means.

Good work addressing CB I feel like that is not exactly a "need" position per say but its damn close. OLB is a "need" as well. We could use depth there.

Overall really good work. I'd give this draft 2 thumbs up.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people keep forgetting that Cobb was a deviation from the norm when you look at a prototypical Packer WR? We Will Not Take Austin, Bailey, Or any other receiver under 6'0 unless we get to the point that we need a kick returner because Cobb is too valuable, and he will not be a high pick.

Also, I don't think tag and trade will work for Jennings. I don't even think we'll tag
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Why do people keep forgetting that Cobb was a deviation from the norm when you look at a prototypical Packer WR? We Will Not Take Austin, Bailey, Or any other receiver under 6'0 unless we get to the point that we need a kick returner because Cobb is too valuable, and he will not be a high pick.

Also, I don't think tag and trade will work for Jennings. I don't even think we'll tag

I like to look at the style of the receiver more to the height requirements for Thompson. Yes he has trended to pick guys that are 6'0 or taller, but you can point to Cobb and Jennings, who is listed at 5'11. I think he likes guys that are more versatile in his system, meaning guys that can lineup outside or in the slot. A guy like Cobb, in my opinion, is more of a deviation because he really only works as a slot receiver. A guy like Jennings, who would be a deviation from the 6'0 standard, is not a deviation, in my opinion, because Jennings skill-set and play style gives him the ability to lineup outside and inside.

Either way you perceive it, Austin would be a deviation because he is a slot/inside guy only. I think that the blanket height requirement gets too much weight.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

I like to look at the style of the receiver more to the height requirements for Thompson. Yes he has trended to pick guys that are 6'0 or taller, but you can point to Cobb and Jennings, who is listed at 5'11. I think he likes guys that are more versatile in his system, meaning guys that can lineup outside or in the slot. A guy like Cobb, in my opinion, is more of a deviation because he really only works as a slot receiver. A guy like Jennings, who would be a deviation from the 6'0 standard, is not a deviation, in my opinion, because Jennings skill-set and play style gives him the ability to lineup outside and inside.

Either way you perceive it, Austin would be a deviation because he is a slot/inside guy only. I think that the blanket height requirement gets too much weight.

Touche, valid points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: