Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

They're worst than Limas....Lets nip it in da butt.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason Storm wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
No.

Thank you, did you witness the wretched play of our SS all year? Or perhaps that we basically have a bag of cookies at LDE, and our LB cannot consistently pressure the QB. WR in the first round worst first round pick in a long time. Also dont forget we have no clear cut #1 running back.

Agreed for the most part.

SS hasnt been that bad. Will Allen hasnt been great but has been solid replacing Troy. We do need a young safety, though.

OLB is a definite need.

As far as RB...I think it will resolve itself. Dwyer has what it takes and I think thats why he is getting the nod recently. Also, there are many teams that dont have a clear cut top running back. I wouldnt take a WR early, but I would still take a WR over a RB at this point.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, 43M. You should check out my recently mock draft. While I'm high on WR between 2nd-3rd round (preferly 3rd) truth to be told, we just need a receiver (either WR or TE) that can give us different looks. I don't like the idea of 1st round receiver at all, especially with this weakening class.

Many could argue that TE class is really weak too, but also there's more of "all-around" TEs in this draft, which is why I went with a TE because I felt like if we have somebody beside Heath Miller who can truly impact a game with his receiving/blocking skill it will boosts our running game and passing as we can hid our packages and become less revealing. Makes sense?
the_lung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
No.

More brilliant analysis from FourThreeMafia. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_lung wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
No.

More brilliant analysis from FourThreeMafia. Rolling Eyes

Hey toolbag, let me know when you add anything to this forum besides stupidity.

Now run away like you always do.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason Storm wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
No.

Thank you, did you witness the wretched play of our SS all year? Or perhaps that we basically have a bag of cookies at LDE, and our LB cannot consistently pressure the QB. WR in the first round worst first round pick in a long time. Also dont forget we have no clear cut #1 running back.

I don't think we really need that. If Rainey can get more opportunities as a scatback and Dwyer gets more touches, we can just role with those guys. Our WR's can make plays and obviously we know what Ben can do. Hell, we even have a great blocking and receiving TE. We don't need a big-time RB; just someone that can get the job done.
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:
Just a hypothetical with this receiver thing.

First off, we do not NEED a big time number 1 receiver with the guys we have now. If we lose Wallace (pretty sure thats happening), then I do believe that a capable guy - FA or draft - must be brought in, but we would still be fine either way.

Our defense has been playing great - but we all know that there are definitely some question marks on that side of the ball as far as our future is concerned. More youth in key positions is needed. But here is my what if.

If a big time WR talent is available in the first round - why not take him? We have needs, but if there is a player that can take your offense to the next level it has to be considered. Ben is a big time player and i think adding another big piece for him could push the offense to an "elite" status.

I know that it gets said every year that our defense is aging, and everyone is waiting for the downslide. But if the defense does start to go down, then I want the offense to take off in the opposite direction. In a passing league, i would have no problem with our first or second round pick being a big WR talent, or a pass receiving tight end over some of the more obvious needs.

(Edit: I should add in here as long as its a BPA, not just taking a WR to take a WR over other positions)

I agree with the premise, while theoretically selecting the position of WR is against our best interests in the 1st round, getting a player of Keenan Allen's, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams ability will not hurt us, although it would be a slight luxury.

Sometimes the term PMMD (Player Makes the Most Difference)is even more appropriate vs BPA. If that wasn't the case there are a couple guards and a tight end in this draft who may be the Best Players in it.

Exactly..and i while i agree we have needs on offense..we have one the the best Defenses this year without Troy..and Without finding out what Cam heyard has ...can our offense say the same...no ..it can't. Im about getting better..right now out D can dominate..and has..our O line can dominate ...now we need more weapons to dominate..its just about getting better..1st or 2nd round..i say we look for a weapon..big..fast..and powerful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I don't think a WR makes the most sense for this team, but it all depends on draft order and who is available.

I wouldn't gripe with Hunter at 32....or even late 1st.

The most impactful WR in this class, IMO, is Tavon Austin tho. He's not the big RZ target we all want and would give us a smurf like corp, but I wouldn't be unhappy to pick him up at 64ish ala Randall Cobb.

That would be awesome..he is small..but speedy and durable....ala Cobb or percy harvin..indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sold on any of our RB's being starter quality. Mendenhall was, but he's pretty far removed from his last good season at this point. The injuries plus the fumbling plus the way Tomlin is so quick to bench him, it doesn't give much in the way of confidence. And it's almost a certainty that he's gone after this season, so that leaves you Redman/Dwyer/Rainey.

I haven't seen anything from Rainey other than on ST to make me think he's the answer. Even in gimmick plays, he doesn't seem to bring much to the table. And Dwyer/Redman are just complimentary backs as I see it, though Dwyer seems like the best bet to be an actual starter. We have no home run threat in our running game (don't say Rainey until he actually does something in the running game), and that is an issue. Our guys are smashmouth backs, which might make sense if we actually had an offensive line to play like that. We're not going to bully many defenses. Maybe if Decastro lives up to the hype, and Pouncey becomes a monster, but until then I feel like we have the wrong idea about our running game.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DudeWhat?? wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:
Just a hypothetical with this receiver thing.

First off, we do not NEED a big time number 1 receiver with the guys we have now. If we lose Wallace (pretty sure thats happening), then I do believe that a capable guy - FA or draft - must be brought in, but we would still be fine either way.

Our defense has been playing great - but we all know that there are definitely some question marks on that side of the ball as far as our future is concerned. More youth in key positions is needed. But here is my what if.

If a big time WR talent is available in the first round - why not take him? We have needs, but if there is a player that can take your offense to the next level it has to be considered. Ben is a big time player and i think adding another big piece for him could push the offense to an "elite" status.

I know that it gets said every year that our defense is aging, and everyone is waiting for the downslide. But if the defense does start to go down, then I want the offense to take off in the opposite direction. In a passing league, i would have no problem with our first or second round pick being a big WR talent, or a pass receiving tight end over some of the more obvious needs.

(Edit: I should add in here as long as its a BPA, not just taking a WR to take a WR over other positions)

I agree with the premise, while theoretically selecting the position of WR is against our best interests in the 1st round, getting a player of Keenan Allen's, DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams ability will not hurt us, although it would be a slight luxury.

Sometimes the term PMMD (Player Makes the Most Difference)is even more appropriate vs BPA. If that wasn't the case there are a couple guards and a tight end in this draft who may be the Best Players in it.

Exactly..and i while i agree we have needs on offense..we have one the the best Defenses this year without Troy..and Without finding out what Cam heyard has ...can our offense say the same...no ..it can't. Im about getting better..right now out D can dominate..and has..our O line can dominate ...now we need more weapons to dominate..its just about getting better..1st or 2nd round..i say we look for a weapon..big..fast..and powerful.

Yeah, but thats not what I'm saying, you're advocating looking for weapons. I'm saying if a weapon is sitting there then we should not be apposed to taking it.

Tavon Austin is excellent but even in this offense I don't know that Ben will utilize him as well as he could. It could be a possibility. I was imagining him with the Redskins but just got done watching him give Oklahoma fits including Tony Jefferson and Aaron Colvin.

...you have a forum resume?
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my question to many of youses- which would you rather see us drafting first- tight end or wide receiver?

If patterson is there in 2nd, i'd be dancing around the television and hoping steelers would get him, a good size with almost very-sure hands. Isn't flashy but gets it done.

On other hand, depth for tight end isn't too good and it'd be nice to give opponents a fit like patriots could.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either depending on talent.

If Eiffert is there in the 1st and anybody gets upset about us taking him they'd seriously need to take a deep breath and go watch any game hes played in. When the Giants drafted JPP did they need a DE? When the Vikings drafted Peterson they had a 1600 yd running back, did they need him? Hows that Aaron Rodgers pick doin?

Fauria in the 2nd and Rivera in the 3rd, all would be reasonable talent.

I'd prefer that we wait til the 2nd to pick either position.

...you have a forum resume?
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
So my question to many of youses- which would you rather see us drafting first- tight end or wide receiver?

If patterson is there in 2nd, i'd be dancing around the television and hoping steelers would get him, a good size with almost very-sure hands. Isn't flashy but gets it done.

On other hand, depth for tight end isn't too good and it'd be nice to give opponents a fit like patriots could.

A wr...i think Heath is a little underrated...but i wonder..what do you guys think about getting a TE via free agency..any good ones coming out?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heath is only underrated as a receiver. While he isn't the level of some of athletic ability of some of the better playmaking TE's, he's been about as reliable as anybody over the last 7 years. Think about it, in terms of NFL TE's, who has really been as healthy and productive as Heath Miller since he was drafted? Lots of guys may have better individual years, but most of them can't stay healthy the way Heath has.

I'd also say that he's one of our better first round picks. Definitely the best first round pick since we drafted him. Especially when you consider he was taken at number 30.

I will say that I think his blocking does get overrated sometimes, but that's about it. He is a good blocker, just that sometimes people go overboard with it.

In terms of actual skill or ability, he's not truly special or anything. But the fact that he's always on the field, always plays hard, always comes up with a big catch, makes very few costly mistakes to our offense, always answers the call when his role needs to be bigger or smaller, it should factor in. Heath Miller is a great football player.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not really any good TEs coming out of free agency or candidates that you ask. Wide receivers, there's mike wallace Very Happy

I'm high on Florida's Jordan Reed, better TE than aaron hernandez was during his time at Florida. Should be there in 3rd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: