Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Def and ST stepping it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omegaxla49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Def and ST stepping it up. Reply with quote

So I'd like to talk about how our Def and ST has been helping out Manning and the offense this year.

According to ESPN.com and NFL.com this is what I recorded for scores in the year so far.

Wk 1. W vs PIT INT TD
Wk 2. L vs ATL nothing
Wk 3. L vs HOU Safety
Wk 4. W vs OAK nothing
Wk 5. L vs NE nothing
Wk 6. W vs SD INT TD FUM recovery TD
Wk 7. W vs NO nothing
Wk 9. W vs CIN Kick Return TD
Wk 10. W vs CAR Punt Return TD, INT TD, Safety
Wk 11. W vs SD nothing
Wk 12. W vs KC nothing
Wk 13. W vs TB INT TD (side note Mitch Unrein our DT caught a TD pass in the first from Peyton Manning)

As you all can see our Defense and ST has helped out greatly in scoring. In 5 of our 9 wins we've had a source other than our offense score a TD which is invaluable in the NFL. With our defense playing well and our special teams helping us win the field position battle, I think this might be the key to helping us go deep into the playoffs.

hibdib31

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always nice when you can put Peyton Manning in good field position. The mid-season claim of Trindon Holliday has been a pleasant surprise with 10.7 yards per punt return and 39.0 yards per kickoff return, on average.

I think everyone will easily agree pass rush is the strength of the defense, combined with good play from the secondary.

The three phases are building off of each other well and it will yield great results if it continues.

Good defensive play --> good return yardage on punts/kicks --> good field position --> Peyton being Peyton --> playing with a lead --> good defensive play

It's a great pattern to get into!
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense and ST > our offense

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As impressive a return as Peyton has made, no doubt our D has bailed him out at times and won us games. The 2 Charger games stand out. Peyton still throws an INT every week like clockwork. It's worrying come the playoffs, good teams like the Pats and HOU will KILL us if we give them extra possessions. They already have. Not to mention Thomas, Mcgahee (if active), Decker, all our punt returners have moments of questionable ball security. We cant expect our D to win the turnover battle alone every week especially in the post season. Gotta sharpen up.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trindon Holliday was an EXCELLENT pickup for this team. Great job by the scouting department to find him and get him. Its been a while since we've had a real threat in Special Teams (Eddie Royal was not as consistent as this). Not only that but our Special Teams coverage has been extraordinary this year. David Bruton has always been a beast. The additions of Danny Trevathan and Omar Bolden were a huge help to our coverage teams.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Defense would pwn our Offense if they played eachother. Just my opinion.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Twizlers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:

Somedays I just wish I could see this. If there was any way our offense could play our defense without risk of injury, it would be the coolest thing ever. Too bad it's impossible.

But I agree, defense would win. Hmm interesting topic material...
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twizlers wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

Somedays I just wish I could see this. If there was any way our offense could play our defense without risk of injury, it would be the coolest thing ever. Too bad it's impossible.

Von would be eating Franklins lunch every play Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense has outperformed my expectations, but ST's are over the top. Our coverage teams have been great and Colquitt never seems to outkick the coverage.

Holliday is really somethin'. The 1st really exiting returner we've had since Upchurch.

It drives me nuts when a HC says he can't hold a roster spot for a return guy. Give me a break! The guys gonna' touch the ball more each game than anyone except a QB or RB (maybe WR). Add the fact that he can change the game with one play and have a huge impact on field position my question would be, "how can you not have a spot for a return guy?"

Kudo's to the staff and players for great ST units.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
Twizlers wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:

Von would be eating Franklins lunch every play Shocked

At least going against him in practice makes everyone else seem easier. Laughing
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Winder23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through week 14 of the NFL season the Broncos are #1 in the AFC in points allowed with 257. Quite an accomplishment for a team that was so awful two years ago.
MileHighNuck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worried our D will look the same as last year. Beast vs average teams, 40+ vs the Pats.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MileHighNuck wrote:
Worried our D will look the same as last year. Beast vs average teams, 40+ vs the Pats.

That's due to the Pats being the Pats, not necessarily Denver being inconsitent, overachieving or even bad.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
MileHighNuck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering we would likely play them at home, after a bye, I think the Pats would be the Pats. We can't even blow out Oakland. Our pass rush would have to be on fire, I doubt we can win a shootout.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we came close the last time around. Our offense just needs to score as much as they do. Which we nearly did early in the season. But I agree... The Pats' kryptonite in December and January are the Giants, not anyone else. That no-huddle is so fast along with the fact that we cannot cover TEs and Welker to begin with. I doubt they are beatable, let alone in Foxborough. That is why I said that we have to hope for Hou or SF to win against NE or target the 4th spot.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: