Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Move Decker to slot receiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
The thing people forget is that all sorts of players are often in the slot. Not every slot receiver is like Wes Welker or Danny Amondola. Big receivers like Calvin Johnson and Marques Colston very often play in the slot and attack the intermediate areas of the field from there more. It depends on your offense really.
Vincent Jackson lined up in the slot yesterday a few times.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMG58 wrote:
i remember in the draft Decker "catches everything thrown his way."

what i want to know is what happened to that Decker

They let his buddy Weber go, he's sad now Sad
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Move Decker to slot receiver Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
I don't think he is athletic enough as an #2 outside receiver. He doesn't turn or change direction fast enough nor is he fast enough to create separation on a consistent basis.

He can't do those things, in your evaluation at least, and you want to move him to do the slot?

We need like a remedial "Football Basics 101" class or something around here.

Laughing exactly, so our mod can learn football 101.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Move Decker to slot receiver Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
I don't think he is athletic enough as an #2 outside receiver. He doesn't turn or change direction fast enough nor is he fast enough to create separation on a consistent basis.

He can't do those things, in your evaluation at least, and you want to move him to do the slot?

If Decker can't do those things, how would he fit in the slot?

Thanks, Tzimisce
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Nelson#1 wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18907644?source=rss

Quote:
"He's ideal as a slot receiver," Orton said. "He can play outside too, but as a slot receiver he can really be an impact receiver with his combination of quickness, his size, and his brain.

You guys might want to take a look at this article from last year.

So now we're going to take the opinion of Kyle Orton with a degree of seriousness?

I'd love to see what Eddie Royal (when healthy, which is rarely) could do in this offense with a real quarterback operating a competently-coordinated offensive scheme. The one year he had that, the results spoke for themselves.

Bottom line is Eric Decker is a solid, productive and effective #2 WR. That's exactly the role he was drafted to fill (hey look, Mac did one thing right!). In addition to his skills in the passing game he's a good blocker and a positive presence in the lockerroom.

He's never going to be an outstanding Calvin Johnson-like game-changer but we don't need that. Not everyone has to be a super star. And moving him to the slot - at 6'3" and 218 - is not going to work. Slot receivers need to be shifty and be quick in and out of their breaks. Decker, who brings substantial skills to the field, doesn't possess those two traits.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Move Decker to slot receiver Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:

1, Decker takes contacts pretty well, he doesn't shy away from tacklers. it is a huge plus, they make their living in the middle.

2, Decker is a great route runner which is the most important quality a slot receiver needs to possess IMO. you don't need explosive speed running crossing routes.

3, If you think slot receivers are better athletes than outside receivers then you need to rethink it. do you think Welker, Edelman, Stokley are athletic enough to be outside receivers? And don't tell me because they are short. Look at Steve Smith and Santana Moss.
FabrizioHC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Move Decker to slot receiver Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:

1, Decker takes contacts pretty well, he doesn't shy away from tacklers. it is a huge plus, they make their living in the middle.

2, Decker is a great route runner which is the most important quality a slot receiver needs to possess IMO. you don't need explosive speed running crossing routes.

3, If you think slot receivers are better athletes than outside receivers then you need to rethink it. do you think Welker, Edelman, Stokley are athletic enough to be outside receivers? And don't tell me because they are short. Look at Steve Smith and Santana Moss.

He slides...

Laughing

I'm sorry I just had to hahaha
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Move Decker to slot receiver Reply with quote

FabrizioHC wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:

He slides...

Laughing

I'm sorry I just had to hahaha

Hahaha I remember that one Laughing
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
The thing people forget is that all sorts of players are often in the slot. Not every slot receiver is like Wes Welker or Danny Amondola. Big receivers like Calvin Johnson and Marques Colston very often play in the slot and attack the intermediate areas of the field from there more. It depends on your offense really.

From what I remember didn't DT play in the slot on his 2nd touchdown against the Bucs? Decker I believe can create enough separation in the slot but id rather have Woods from USC or Devin Wiley from KC and see if we can mold a Slot reciever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decker has 1 gaffe for every great play. He might make a huge catch like that 1 hander vs the Chargers last year on 3rd n long, but then he'll do something that gets him photoshopped into a buffalo wild wings commercial.gif. Ughhhhh
hibdib31

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MileHighNuck wrote:
Decker has 1 gaffe for every great play. He might make a huge catch like that 1 hander vs the Chargers last year on 3rd n long, but then he'll do something that gets him photoshopped into a buffalo wild wings commercial.gif. Ughhhhh

Laughing

rhuston

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Holliday get a look in the slot and also some at running back. I think there could be some good packages for him.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not going to have All Pro players at every position. Decker is above average, and that will do IMO. It will be far easier to find a Slot in the draft than a legit #2 to take over for Decker. I also dont like Decker in the slot. I want to get an explosive Slot like Tavon Austin, Markus Wheaton, etc. who can play Slot and be used as a guy to take the top off a defense.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team needs another WR bad. Slot or no slot, it's very obvious that we are paper thin at WR and one injury cripples us big time. This draft is big on WRs and we could really cash in.

I love Cordarelle Patterson, but he may not declare.

Terrance Williams is going to be a man, and I would love to grab him. A name flying under the radar, and maybe rightfully so given his actions, is Marquess Wilson. Yes he bailed on Wazzu and their nutbag coach...but dude can ball. I'd love to have him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Devery Henderson is going to be a free agent this year. It would be awesome if we can pick him up at a decent price. We can pick up another WR in the late rounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: