Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3rd Quarter Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: 3rd Quarter Mock Reply with quote

Ok so we are now three quarters of the way into the regular season so it’s time for my third mock of the year…sitting at 8-4 so I have us picking somewhere between 26-32…

Resign…

OG…Lance Louis
LS…Patrick Mannelly
UT…Henry Melton
DE…Israel Idonije
LB…Nick Roach
LB…Geno Hayes
CB…D.J Moore
CB…Kelvin Hayden
CB…Zach Bowman

Let Walk…

Jason Campbell
Josh McCown
Kellen Davis – Saving $2.4m
Johnny Knox
Jonathan Scott
Andre Gurode
Chilo Rachal
Chris Spencer
Cheta Ozougwu
Patrick Trahan
Brian Urlacher
Anthony Walters

Free Agents…

OG…Andy Levitre…6-3” 305lbs…

Quote:
At one point in his Bears tenure Jerry Angelo got something right…he acquired a veteran laden offensive line with guys like John Tait, Ruben Brown, Fred Miller & Roberto Garza all coming into the team with years of experience under their belt…looking at the rise of the college spread offence it is getting tougher and tougher to evaluate top talent on the Oline from the draft…not only that but as of right now the 3 starting Olinemen we have under contract for next year will account for just over $3.5 million on the roster…our highest earning Olinemen Robert Garza won’t earn as much money as Robbie Gould will…sometime you just have to spend money to upgrade a position…spending that money on Levitre would be well worth it…he is possible the most underrated interior linemen in the NFL given his all-round skill set and toughness…he would be a massive upgrade at LG and combined with Louis would give us a very good set of OGs…Buffalo and other teams would put up a fight to get him but our coaching staff seem to have a real connection with Oregon State so hopefully that relationship would play into Levitre’s decision.

QB…Matt Moore…6-3” 203lbs…

Quote:
Jason Campbell isn’t the answer as a backup QB…he holds the ball far too long in the pocket and even when he does get rid of it he is hesitant to throw it down the field…Moore is a QB who has won games on his own and as much as his fumble troubles are a concern he is probably the best backup option out there right now considering Chad Henne might be starting in Jacksonville next year.

Draft…

Bears trade 1st round pick for a 2nd & 3rd…most likely from a team like Philly looking to move back up for a QB late in the 1st…

Round 2…

OT…Justin Pugh…6-5” 298lbs…Syracuse…

Quote:
J’Marcus Webb hasn’t been bad this year…he really hasn’t…but he has had the odd game where things have completely went to crap…the LT position is too important for that to happen…if Jay doesn’t feel comfortable in the pocket he is going to struggle…we have to create competition at the position and competition with someone who is more than capable of taking the spot…outside of Luke Joeckel I don’t think there is as well rounded or consistent potential LT in college football than Pugh…he has quality athleticism and moves very well for a near 300lbs man…combined with his body control he has the ability to mirror the growing amount of freakiest athletes playing DE & OLB in pass pro…when run blocking Pugh uses his athleticism to be a good positional blocker…he has to work on his upperbody strength but that will come in an NFL weight room…he is also asked to pull from the LT position at Syracuse and shows great fluidity in doing so…he is a well-coached, hardworking, extremely intelligent player who IMO could be a Jordan Gross type LT…never seen as the best in the league but will always do his job.

Round 2…

CB…Jordan Poyer…6-0” 190lbs…Oregon State…

Quote:
This might seem like a strange pick considering how amazingly our starting CBs have played this season but both Tillman & Jennings are FAs after the 2013 season and both will be the wrong side of 30…it’s time to act to a potential problem rather than trying to react to one…Poyer plays with the type of physical mindset that Lovie demands from his CBs and isn’t afraid to hit someone in run support…he plays with a chip on his shoulder and will mix it up with receivers on the outside…in coverage Poyer shows great athleticism to match his prototype size and has the awareness to stick with #1 wideouts…if the QB throws one up the likelihood is that Poyer will come down with it having showed well above average ball skills during his time at Oregon State...he could even challenge Moore for playing time at nickelback in certain situations.

Round 3…

LB…Gerald Hodges…6-2” 238lbs…Penn State…

Quote:
No one like’s to see Brian Urlacher be let go…but the truth is he is quickly becoming Olin Kreutz…a once great player who just can’t compete at the level he once did…the last thing I want is for Brian like Olin to be the last person to know that the time has come…the commentators in the Seattle game said that Urlacher told them that if we won the SB he was retiring or he would keep going for a year or two if he could still compete…I’m not so sure he can compete anymore with his knee…he has done everything you could ask of him other than a SB…he is a HoFer…he should go out as healthy as possible and enjoy the rest of his life in the knowledge that he is one of the most beloved players to ever play for the Bears…Hodges could come in and make an immediate impact because of his athleticism…a HS safety Penn State use Hodges in a number of ways including coving slot receivers in their nickel package and returning punts…he is also instinctive and physical at the point of attack…the leadership he showed by sticking with Penn State through the sanctions is also a big positive for me…we could try him at MLB and if for some reason he isn’t a fit he could play SLB then move to the WLB spot where he would be a great replacement for Briggs when the time comes.

Round 4…

TE…Ryan Otten…6-5” 255lbs…San Jose State…

Quote:
Releasing Kellen Davis would free up a fair chunk of money and as much as he has a great physical skill set he just can’t put it all together…adding a consistent at TE would be helpful for the passing game…Otten is an intriguing prospect…San Jose State line him up all over the formation to create mismatches…he has the size to take on smaller CBs when lined up at WR and the speed to run away from LBs when at TE…Otten shows soft hands and great body control when he goes up to get it…this season Otten has went for 44 receptions 706 yards and 4 TDs…with an average of over 16 YPC…he has also improved as a blocker and as much as he isn’t great in that aspect he would be solid enough.

Round 5…

OG…Omoregie Uzzi…6-3” 303lbs…Georgia Tech…

Quote:
I don’t have a lot of faith in Spencer or Rachal to be a solid backup for us next year…I feel Edwin Williams best spot might be as a backup centre and firmly believe that Carimi’s future is still at OT…so we have to add some depth at the OG spot even after signing a guy like Levitre we don’t know how well Lance Louis is going to come back from his ACL injury…Uzzi is very much so like Louis…extremely athletic and physical but lacking in conventional technique…in Uzzi’s case it’s because of the system he plays in and not because of a positional change…I think given time he could become a solid contributor much like Louis has.

Round 6…

RB/WR…Theo Riddick…5-10” 200lbs…Notre Dame…

Quote:
Theo Riddick IMO might be a better version of Armando Allen…Allen has looked solid in his limited opportunities this year and has been a very good ST player for us…Riddick offers even more versatility and could be the type of player that can cover not only a ST spot but as a backup RB & WR allowing us to carry players at other positions.

Depth Chart…

QB…Jay Cutler… Matt Moore…Matt Blanchard
RB…Matt Forte…Michael Bush…Armando Allen
FB…Evan Rodriguez
WR…Brandon Marshall…Devin Hester
WR…Alshon Jeffery…Dan Sanzenbacher
Slot…Earl Bennett…Eric Weems…Theo Riddick
TE…Ryan Otten…Matt Spaeth… Kyle Adams
LT…J'Marcus Webb… Justin Pugh
LG…Andy Levitre…Omoregie Uzzi
C…Roberto Garza…Edwin Williams
RG…Lance Louis
RT…Gabe Carimi

LE…Israel Idonije…Shea McClellin
UT…Henry Melton…Nate Collins
NT…Stephen Paea…Matt Toeaina
RE…Julius Peppers…Corey Wootton
SLB…Nick Roach…Geno Hayes
MLB…Gerald Hodges…Blake Costanzo
WLB…Lance Briggs…JT Thomas
NB…D.J Moore
CB…Charles Tillman…Jordan Poyer…Sherrick McManis
CB…Tim Jennings…Kelvin Hayden…Zack Bowman
SS…Major Wright…Brandon Hardin
FS…Chris Conte…Craig Steltz

P…Adam Podlesh
K…Robbie Gould
LS…Patrick Mannelly
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pugh. More so then Johnson in my mock I just don't think he'll come out. I don't think we can role the dice and wait until the 3rd to try and get a day one starting MLB. Same with TE. Hard to expect to get 2 starters in the 3rd and 4th. I like Uzzi. I would like to see how he snaps. His build would make a good C.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Pugh has the upside of Lane Johnson and I wonder how much bigger he can get, but he does look like a Matt Light type who will start a long time.

I don't know if CB is a 2nd round need.

What do you think of this line,

LT: Draft Pick, if they are ready.
LG: Carimi
C: Levitre, started games there for the Bills.
RG: Louis
RT: Webb

I think that could be our best 5 and it puts Carimi in his best position and perhaps Webb in his not on the blindside.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we to 10-6 and lose in the first round of the playoffs we will be picking around 22.

If we are at 22 we should have a shot at Fisher or Matthews.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
If we to 10-6 and lose in the first round of the playoffs we will be picking around 22.

Both those guys would be good options. Fisher can sit behind Webb and see how he looks. Matthews can come in at RT where he's played in college so that would be a smooth transition. If Webb faulters in both cases we have options to put them in at LT.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Quarter Mock Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Ok so we are now three quarters of the way into the regular season so it’s time for my third mock of the year…sitting at 8-4 so I have us picking somewhere between 26-32…

Resign…

OG…Lance Louis
LS…Patrick Mannelly
UT…Henry Melton
DE…Israel Idonije
LB…Nick Roach
LB…Geno Hayes
CB…D.J Moore
CB…Kelvin Hayden
CB…Zach Bowman

Let Walk…

Jason Campbell
Josh McCown
Kellen Davis – Saving $2.4m
Johnny Knox I am afraid this is the case but still hold our hope it isn't
Jonathan Scott No
Andre Gurode
Chilo Rachal
Chris Spencer
Cheta Ozougwu
Patrick Trahan
Brian Urlacher
Anthony Walters

Free Agents…

OG…Andy Levitre…6-3” 305lbs…

Quote:
At one point in his Bears tenure Jerry Angelo got something right…he acquired a veteran laden offensive line with guys like John Tait, Ruben Brown, Fred Miller & Roberto Garza all coming into the team with years of experience under their belt…looking at the rise of the college spread offence it is getting tougher and tougher to evaluate top talent on the Oline from the draft…not only that but as of right now the 3 starting Olinemen we have under contract for next year will account for just over $3.5 million on the roster…our highest earning Olinemen Robert Garza won’t earn as much money as Robbie Gould will…sometime you just have to spend money to upgrade a position…spending that money on Levitre would be well worth it…he is possible the most underrated interior linemen in the NFL given his all-round skill set and toughness…he would be a massive upgrade at LG and combined with Louis would give us a very good set of OGs…Buffalo and other teams would put up a fight to get him but our coaching staff seem to have a real connection with Oregon State so hopefully that relationship would play into Levitre’s decision.

QB…Matt Moore…6-3” 203lbs…

Quote:
Jason Campbell isn’t the answer as a backup QB…he holds the ball far too long in the pocket and even when he does get rid of it he is hesitant to throw it down the field…Moore is a QB who has won games on his own and as much as his fumble troubles are a concern he is probably the best backup option out there right now considering Chad Henne might be starting in Jacksonville next year.
We have no idea if Moore would have looked any better stepping in as Campbell did but I am pretty sure we will not resign the latter for the kind of money he gets.

Draft…

Bears trade 1st round pick for a 2nd & 3rd…most likely from a team like Philly looking to move back up for a QB late in the 1st… Dream on

Round 2…

OT…Justin Pugh…6-5” 298lbs…Syracuse… He does not look 6'5" in that photo unless the QB is about the same.

Quote:
J’Marcus Webb hasn’t been bad this year…he really hasn’t…but he has had the odd game where things have completely went to crap…the LT position is too important for that to happen…if Jay doesn’t feel comfortable in the pocket he is going to struggle…we have to create competition at the position and competition with someone who is more than capable of taking the spot…outside of Luke Joeckel I don’t think there is as well rounded or consistent potential LT in college football than Pugh…he has quality athleticism and moves very well for a near 300lbs man…combined with his body control he has the ability to mirror the growing amount of freakiest athletes playing DE & OLB in pass pro…when run blocking Pugh uses his athleticism to be a good positional blocker…he has to work on his upperbody strength but that will come in an NFL weight room…he is also asked to pull from the LT position at Syracuse and shows great fluidity in doing so…he is a well-coached, hardworking, extremely intelligent player who IMO could be a Jordan Gross type LT…never seen as the best in the league but will always do his job.
Pugh is not up against the talent of the SEC, Big Ten or even the ACC so I am not as confident in him as you. I doubt he will go in the second round or even before the fourth.

Round 2…

CB…Jordan Poyer…6-0” 190lbs…Oregon State…

Quote:
This might seem like a strange pick considering how amazingly our starting CBs have played this season but both Tillman & Jennings are FAs after the 2013 season and both will be the wrong side of 30…it’s time to act to a potential problem rather than trying to react to one…Poyer plays with the type of physical mindset that Lovie demands from his CBs and isn’t afraid to hit someone in run support…he plays with a chip on his shoulder and will mix it up with receivers on the outside…in coverage Poyer shows great athleticism to match his prototype size and has the awareness to stick with #1 wideouts…if the QB throws one up the likelihood is that Poyer will come down with it having showed well above average ball skills during his time at Oregon State...he could even challenge Moore for playing time at nickelback in certain situations.

Round 3…

LB…Gerald Hodges…6-2” 238lbs…Penn State…

Quote:
No one like’s to see Brian Urlacher be let go…but the truth is he is quickly becoming Olin Kreutz…a once great player who just can’t compete at the level he once did…the last thing I want is for Brian like Olin to be the last person to know that the time has come…the commentators in the Seattle game said that Urlacher told them that if we won the SB he was retiring or he would keep going for a year or two if he could still compete…I’m not so sure he can compete anymore with his knee…he has done everything you could ask of him other than a SB…he is a HoFer…he should go out as healthy as possible and enjoy the rest of his life in the knowledge that he is one of the most beloved players to ever play for the Bears…Hodges could come in and make an immediate impact because of his athleticism…a HS safety Penn State use Hodges in a number of ways including coving slot receivers in their nickel package and returning punts…he is also instinctive and physical at the point of attack…the leadership he showed by sticking with Penn State through the sanctions is also a big positive for me…we could try him at MLB and if for some reason he isn’t a fit he could play SLB then move to the WLB spot where he would be a great replacement for Briggs when the time comes.

Round 4…

TE…Ryan Otten…6-5” 255lbs…San Jose State…

Quote:
Releasing Kellen Davis would free up a fair chunk of money and as much as he has a great physical skill set he just can’t put it all together…adding a consistent at TE would be helpful for the passing game…Otten is an intriguing prospect…San Jose State line him up all over the formation to create mismatches…he has the size to take on smaller CBs when lined up at WR and the speed to run away from LBs when at TE…Otten shows soft hands and great body control when he goes up to get it…this season Otten has went for 44 receptions 706 yards and 4 TDs…with an average of over 16 YPC…he has also improved as a blocker and as much as he isn’t great in that aspect he would be solid enough.

Round 5…

OG…Omoregie Uzzi…6-3” 303lbs…Georgia Tech…

Quote:
I don’t have a lot of faith in Spencer or Rachal to be a solid backup for us next year…I feel Edwin Williams best spot might be as a backup centre and firmly believe that Carimi’s future is still at OT…so we have to add some depth at the OG spot even after signing a guy like Levitre we don’t know how well Lance Louis is going to come back from his ACL injury…Uzzi is very much so like Louis…extremely athletic and physical but lacking in conventional technique…in Uzzi’s case it’s because of the system he plays in and not because of a positional change…I think given time he could become a solid contributor much like Louis has.

Round 6…

RB/WR…Theo Riddick…5-10” 200lbs…Notre Dame…

Quote:
Theo Riddick IMO might be a better version of Armando Allen…Allen has looked solid in his limited opportunities this year and has been a very good ST player for us…Riddick offers even more versatility and could be the type of player that can cover not only a ST spot but as a backup RB & WR allowing us to carry players at other positions.

Depth Chart…

QB…Jay Cutler… Matt Moore…Matt Blanchard
RB…Matt Forte…Michael Bush…Armando Allen
FB…Evan Rodriguez
WR…Brandon Marshall…Devin Hester
WR…Alshon Jeffery…Dan Sanzenbacher
Slot…Earl Bennett…Eric Weems…Theo Riddick
TE…Ryan Otten…Matt Spaeth… Kyle Adams
LT…J'Marcus Webb… Justin Pugh
LG…Andy Levitre…Omoregie Uzzi
C…Roberto Garza…Edwin Williams
RG…Lance Louis
RT…Gabe Carimi

LE…Israel Idonije…Shea McClellin
UT…Henry Melton…Nate Collins
NT…Stephen Paea…Matt Toeaina
RE…Julius Peppers…Corey Wootton
SLB…Nick Roach…Geno Hayes
MLB…Gerald Hodges…Blake Costanzo
WLB…Lance Briggs…JT Thomas
NB…D.J Moore
CB…Charles Tillman…Jordan Poyer…Sherrick McManis
CB…Tim Jennings…Kelvin Hayden…Zack Bowman
SS…Major Wright…Brandon Hardin
FS…Chris Conte…Craig Steltz

P…Adam Podlesh
K…Robbie Gould
LS…Patrick Mannelly
We still need WRs particularly if Knox is finished. Hester may well be finished as well. Bennett will be on the bubble because he can't stay on the field and is not earning his new salary. Weems may be a casualty of the vet minimum and Sanz will have to step up his play to stay as well.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I dont think Pugh has the upside of Lane Johnson and I wonder how much bigger he can get, but he does look like a Matt Light type who will start a long time.

I think that could be our best 5 and it puts Carimi in his best position and perhaps Webb in his not on the blindside.
Leave Webb where he is.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Both those guys would be good options. Fisher can sit behind Webb and see how he looks. Matthews can come in at RT where he's played in college so that would be a smooth transition. If Webb faulters in both cases we have options to put them in at LT.

I think Matthews can play LT.

He more than anyone in this draft reminds me of Joe Staley.

We need an OT from somewhere to compete at LT.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Leave Webb where he is.

If we draft a true LT I think Webb will move he is still our 2nd best tackle in that scenario and I would love for him to he on the field.

With Webb at RT we would be upgrading 2 spots with 1 pick.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I like Pugh. More so then Johnson in my mock I just don't think he'll come out. I don't think we can role the dice and wait until the 3rd to try and get a day one starting MLB. Same with TE. Hard to expect to get 2 starters in the 3rd and 4th. I like Uzzi. I would like to see how he snaps. His build would make a good C.

I don’t really see much point in him going back for a 5th year…he is due to receive his finance degree after this year and Syracuse won’t be competing for a Big East title with Nassib gone…just seems like it would be a wasted year for him to stay.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Pugh might not have the raw upside but when describing Pugh raw isn't a word you use because he is far closer to the finished prospect...which in a position like LT I would prefer...also there is no need for Pugh to get any bigger than 305lbs.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

I would take Pugh over Fisher and I like Fisher alot...Matthews I would like to see in some positional drills moving to his left before deciding who I like better.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Pugh might not have the raw upside but when describing Pugh raw isn't a word you use because he is far closer to the finished prospect...which in a position like LT I would prefer...also there is no need for Pugh to get any bigger than 305lbs.

You might not hear the word raw, but we are going to hear the word limited.

The real issue is not weight it is physical strength. I saw a couple of games this year ad while there is a ton to like he just needs more strength in a big way.

My guess is he could also sneak into late round 1 if he declares.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

You might not hear the word raw, but we are going to hear the word limited.

The real issue is not weight it is physical strength. I saw a couple of games this year ad while there is a ton to like he just needs more strength in a big way.

My guess is he could also sneak into late round 1 if he declares.

I don’t think he is limited at all…in terms of size at 6-5” and say 305lbs by the combine time with what looks like good arm length he is just about what you’re looking for in terms of OT size…athletically he isn’t limited at all…now I agree that he needs to work on his upperbody strength but you can make that observation about many guys in this class…even Joeckel isn’t as strong as you would like…

I think talent wise he could sneak into the 1st but I reckon his conference will work against him and he will be available just within the top 40-50.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my biggest concern about the plan Mike is unless Pugh comes in and starts we are going into next season with Webb and Carimi starting at OT and that is not good.

I keep going back and forth between whether to sign a free agent OT, not necessarily Clady or Albert, but I do not think we can go into next season with Webb and Carimi the most likely starters.

Vollmer or A Smith would allow us to focus on upgrading or protecting 1 OT instead of 2 and should not break the bank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: