Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rest of the NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Remember the 2010 season, Kevin Kolb had been groomed as the successor to Donovan McNabb, it was all set for him to come in and lead the Eagles into the playoffs, then early season he has a couple poor games and goes down with a concussion.

Different situations though Alex Smith is 20-6-1 under Harbaugh, he was having a great season.

Winder23 wrote:
It's not stupid, it is the real world. If someone behind you gets a chance and does a better job, they keep the job. The cream rises to the top.

Are you convinced that Kapernick is a better player after 2 games? I am not. I am not saying that Kapernick will never be as good as Alex, but IMO right now Alex Smith is the 49ers best quarterback and gives them the best chance to win. He plays to that teams strengths by ball control, the guy never turns the ball over.
To me the real question is, can Alex Smith play well enough to win it all? I say no. I'm not saying Kaepernick can, like you said , it is only two games. I will say it is worth a shot to see if the kid can bring something that Alex can't. The team looks to be behind him. The only one that seems to be suffering is Alex Smith. It remindsme a little of the Jake Plummer situatioon. After the home loss to the Steelers in the playoffs, it was pretty clear that Plummer wouldn't likely take the Broncos all the way. We didn't have Cutler to turn to during that season, but it happened the next.

I will say this. If Kaepernick falters, Smith is a good enough man and professional enough to come in and continue to play his game as good as he was before he got the concussion.
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Remember the 2010 season, Kevin Kolb had been groomed as the successor to Donovan McNabb, it was all set for him to come in and lead the Eagles into the playoffs, then early season he has a couple poor games and goes down with a concussion.

Different situations though Alex Smith is 20-6-1 under Harbaugh, he was having a great season.

Winder23 wrote:
It's not stupid, it is the real world. If someone behind you gets a chance and does a better job, they keep the job. The cream rises to the top.

Are you convinced that Kapernick is a better player after 2 games? I am not. I am not saying that Kapernick will never be as good as Alex, but IMO right now Alex Smith is the 49ers best quarterback and gives them the best chance to win. He plays to that teams strengths by ball control, the guy never turns the ball over.
To me the real question is, can Alex Smith play well enough to win it all? I say no. I'm not saying Kaepernick can, like you said , it is only two games. I will say it is worth a shot to see if the kid can bring something that Alex can't. The team looks to be behind him. The only one that seems to be suffering is Alex Smith. It remindsme a little of the Jake Plummer situatioon. After the home loss to the Steelers in the playoffs, it was pretty clear that Plummer wouldn't likely take the Broncos all the way. We didn't have Cutler to turn to during that season, but it happened the next.

I will say this. If Kaepernick falters, Smith is a good enough man and professional enough to come in and continue to play his game as good as he was before he got the concussion.

I say yes, this year. You can compare him to Plummer, I thought Plummer had enough in him to take us all the way in 2005 but he didn't and Alex smith is a much better football player, quarterback, and decision maker then Jake Plummer. You have no chance of winning in the playoffs with Colin. Someone will figure out his weakness and exploit it. Alex has been successful so far and has an excellent track record over the last two years. Put him back at starting QB now.
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

Winder23 wrote:

I say yes, this year. You can compare him to Plummer, I thought Plummer had enough in him to take us all the way in 2005 but he didn't and Alex smith is a much better football player, quarterback, and decision maker then Jake Plummer. You have no chance of winning in the playoffs with Colin. Someone will figure out his weakness and exploit it. Alex has been successful so far and has an excellent track record over the last two years. Put him back at starting QB now.

I agree quite a bit with you both. I think Alex is handling this situation like a true professional. He admitted that he wasn't happy about the situation but continued to talk about how the media should be focusing on his team and how well the team is doing, not Alex. Great guy.
I will say that Alex is the reason they beat the Saints in the playoffs last year, the guy was super clutch and made some tremendous throws and a phenomenal run in that game.
Honestly at this point I hope the 49ers play Kapernick and get their asses handed to them, Harbaugh could use a little humbling.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Alex Smith isn't half the Quarterback Jake Plummer was. All of those plays we ran with Jake Plummer, rollouts with deep patterns to Walker and stuff, you take those out of your playbook with Alex Smith at Quarterback.
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG III's favorite player is Elway, and he wants to be a Bronco Laughing

Elway, here's Manning's replacement lol
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Lol Alex Smith isn't half the Quarterback Jake Plummer was. All of those plays we ran with Jake Plummer, rollouts with deep patterns to Walker and stuff, you take those out of your playbook with Alex Smith at Quarterback.

Smith isn't half the QB of Plummer because of deep patterns? Please, Jake might have a stronger arm than Alex but he was never phenomenal when it came to deep patterns. Alex is much more accurate all around than Plummer ever was.
People use the term "game manager" like it is a curse word for QB's. But when you have the type of defense that SF has that is exactly what you want out of your QB, that is what the Niners have asked Alex Smith to be. Then they end up benching him for just that reason. When you have a great defense you want your QB to not turn the ball over and score 21 points a game, which is exactly what Smith has done the past 2 seasons.
Now the idiots bench him and their "franchise qb" gifts the opposition 9 points and only puts up 13 on his end.
Alex may not have a huge arm, but he got his team wins playing smart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really gotten in to the whole Smith/Kapernick thing because frankly, I don't really care. However, I do have a couple of thoughts on the matter.

1. When you bench a guy who is 20-5 over his last 25 games, especially when you are a title contender this year, aren't you in essence saying you expect the replacement to be better? You are basically saying that you think Kapernick gives you a better chance to win than a guy with a 80% winning percentage. Talk about no pressure on the kid..

2. I love how the 9ers completely changed from a pound the rock and play it safe on offesne to all of a sudden they have the pieces to be a zone read/option team. Weren't you getting pretty good results with the "vanilla" offense with Smith? That wasn't good enough? Now they feel the need to run option plays.. Ask the Panthers and Broncos how long those plays are effective untill someone figures it out.

I get that Kapernick is Harbuaghs guy and Alex Smith was just already there. But Smith gives them the best chance to win and he has the wins to prove that. He didn't deserve to lose his job and losing a job because of injury is a slippery slope anyway. I hope the 9ers fall flat on their faces. I can't stand how Harbaugh has handled this situation and think it will be funny when Kap emplodes in the playoffs and they go home.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
Smith isn't half the QB of Plummer because of deep patterns? Please, Jake might have a stronger arm than Alex but he was never phenomenal when it came to deep patterns. Alex is much more accurate all around than Plummer ever was.

No he isn't. Alex Smith has poor accuracy and that's why he frequently doesn't pull the trigger on tighter throws and also why his teams cut so many passing plays out of playbook. Alex Smith is a below average thrower of the football.

jonnyj20 wrote:
People use the term "game manager" like it is a curse word for QB's. But when you have the type of defense that SF has that is exactly what you want out of your QB, that is what the Niners have asked Alex Smith to be. Then they end up benching him for just that reason. When you have a great defense you want your QB to not turn the ball over and score 21 points a game, which is exactly what Smith has done the past 2 seasons.
Now the idiots bench him and their "franchise qb" gifts the opposition 9 points and only puts up 13 on his end.

Playing smart = being carried by a defense and a running game
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad they switched to Kaepernick. Alex Smith needed 7 years or whatever to even remotely look competent, and even then he's a game manager who isn't really THAT good. People point to that playoff game as indication that he's big time, but I just disagree with that on every level.

Kaepernick is a much more dynamic player who can get it done with his legs and his arm. He's going to go through growing pains, but the Niners can afford that because of their defense. He has the ability to completely transform that offense, which was safe and boring. Safe and boring doesn't work in the playoffs.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I'm glad they switched to Kaepernick. Alex Smith needed 7 years or whatever to even remotely look competent, and even then he's a game manager who isn't really THAT good. People point to that playoff game as indication that he's big time, but I just disagree with that on every level.

Kaepernick is a much more dynamic player who can get it done with his legs and his arm. He's going to go through growing pains, but the Niners can afford that because of their defense. He has the ability to completely transform that offense, which was safe and boring. Safe and boring doesn't work in the playoffs.

We'll find out shortly. Pretty hard for a young QB to walk into that situation. Not only is he expected to win, he's expected to win it all.

I just think if I were in Harbaughs shoes I would've maintained the status quo through the year, knowing if Smith stumbles or the offense needs a boost you've got Kaepernick in the wings.

Interesting situation though. Harbaughs put all his eggs in this basket. Gotta admire the mans balls.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
People use the term "game manager" like it is a curse word for QB's. But when you have the type of defense that SF has that is exactly what you want out of your QB, that is what the Niners have asked Alex Smith to be. Then they end up benching him for just that reason. When you have a great defense you want your QB to not turn the ball over and score 21 points a game, which is exactly what Smith has done the past 2 seasons. Now the idiots bench him and their "franchise qb" gifts the opposition 9 points and only puts up 13 on his end.

Okay let's put your Utah homerism aside for a second.

When you have a great defense and a great running game why wouldn't you want a great QB to go along with that? Especially in today's NFL.

Who says, "I've got the huge ocean-front mansion in Monaco, I've got the gold-plated Rolls Royce....so I guess I just need an average girlfriend."

No!

You want the beach house, the gold Rolls and the supermodel girlfriend.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
I just think if I were in Harbaughs shoes I would've maintained the status quo through the year, knowing if Smith stumbles or the offense needs a boost you've got Kaepernick in the wings.

Interesting situation though. Harbaughs put all his eggs in this basket. Gotta admire the mans balls.

That's what makes a great head coach great. Willing to make a move that a lot will think is bad but you believe is better for your team instead of going the safe route.
AntiSuperstar wrote:

I don't remember Plummer really well but looking at stats he's a bit to INT prone for my liking(which doesn't match up w/ my Bledsoe fandom but still a 1:1 ratio isn't good). Not that Smith is a good QB. Basically a good playcaller and him he'd do well, make safe throws and not lose you the game. Though if you ask him to sling it you can probably expect it to get worse.

If a game ever turns into a shootout I have more confidence Kaepernik could make something happen than Smith.
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:
People use the term "game manager" like it is a curse word for QB's. But when you have the type of defense that SF has that is exactly what you want out of your QB, that is what the Niners have asked Alex Smith to be. Then they end up benching him for just that reason. When you have a great defense you want your QB to not turn the ball over and score 21 points a game, which is exactly what Smith has done the past 2 seasons. Now the idiots bench him and their "franchise qb" gifts the opposition 9 points and only puts up 13 on his end.

When you have a great defense and a great running game why wouldn't you want a great QB to go along with that? Especially in today's NFL.

Who says, "I've got the huge ocean-front mansion in Monaco, I've got the gold-plated Rolls Royce....so I guess I just need an average girlfriend."

No!

You want the beach house, the gold Rolls and the supermodel girlfriend.

Basically. I dont think Smith could lead them to promise land. In the playoffs that defense will not be able to hold every team down in teens for Smith. Smith in the destruction of a very mediocre team put up 350+ yards(passing and rushing). Besides that hasn't had over 250 yards. In Kaepernick's 3 games he started he's been over 250 every time(again including rushing and passing). He could be a good QB or be an avg guy. But so far he's doing better than Smith was though he needs to continue to improve and gain experience.

I wouldn't say being a game manager is a good thing though. If you need a FA QB you want a journeyman game manager that's fine. But I'd rather try and get a guy that will win you games and in the playoffs that's what you need. The last super bowl QB that wasn't a guy that you could say can win you games was Grossman(though he could win you games but easily lose them. But anyways not a good QB you trust). Then before that Brad Johnson(who was having a pretty good year and a defense that scored 21 points). When a QB is taken high and they end up as a game manager its because they don't have it in them to be great. You don't just settle for mediocrity for there career. ANd if your injured and someone comes in steps up and plays and he could be the answer you make a decision. And it looks like his decision was correct.
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Playing smart = being carried by a defense and a running game

No, Playing smart = not throwing a pick 6 with your left hand. It means that Smith plays as mistake-free football as any QB has done the past 2 seasons. It means taking a sack vs throwing an interception. It means going 20-5-1 under your head coach.

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Of course I would, I just don't believe that Kaepernick is a "great QB". The guy gave St. Louis 9 points last week! That is more points than the Rams offense could muster! When you have a great defense and a great running game you want WINS. Alex is 20-5-1 under Harbaugh he gets his team wins and then he gets benched because he missed a game with a concussion. Now how many NFL players are going to fake that they are not injured in fear of losing their job? It is a slippery slope.

broncos67 wrote:

I will mostly point out his W/L record under his head coach, not his 1 playoff victory where he did have a big time game. But look at his TD/INT ratio under Harbaugh, it is very impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure would be nice to see the Ravens clinch today but it's not looking good. They've got to win and Cincy and Pitt have to lose.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Sure would be nice to see the Ravens clinch today but it's not looking good. They've got to win and Cincy and Pitt have to lose.

Is your 2nd team Bal or do I miss a scenario relating to the bye week race of the Broncos? I am rooting for the Redskins, Chargers and Houston this weekend.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 18 of 30

Jump to: