Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Helpful Tips for Posting in Valhalla (i.e. Vikings Forum)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love it if I never saw the word "hater" again. You can think someone isn't a good fit for the team, without being a "hater".

I'd love it if people wouldn't make assumptions about other posters' motiviations, or claim they aren't "real fans" because of their opinions. No on this board is not a vikings' fan....

disaacs, not sure if this is what you want here or not.....
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I'd love it if I never saw the word "hater" again. You can think someone isn't a good fit for the team, without being a "hater".

I'd love it if people wouldn't make assumptions about other posters' motiviations, or claim they aren't "real fans" because of their opinions. No on this board is not a vikings' fan....

disaacs, not sure if this is what you want here or not.....

I agree. I would also include the word "suck/sucks" as I find the term quite vulgar.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me in!!!

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
byuvike88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question, how do i get cool avatars like ya'll do, and a cool signature?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
I have a question, how do i get cool avatars like ya'll do, and a cool signature?

A good place to check is the signature and avatar forum in the FFF Index. We have quite a few accomplished signature artists there who post their galleries as well as make custom signatures.

They can also help with getting them into your profile.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:

A good place to check is the signature and avatar forum in the FFF Index. We have quite a few accomplished signature artists there who post their galleries as well as make custom signatures.

They can also help with getting them into your profile.

Thank you very much!
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for the mods.

Is the tired old Usenet intimidation tactic of demanding proof of everything going to become the norm in this forum?

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Question for the mods.

Is the tired old Usenet intimidation tactic of demanding proof of everything going to become the norm in this forum?

can only mods respond to this?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
milanb wrote:
Question for the mods.

can only mods respond to this?

If anyone else has input on this issue I am all ears.

It's just that this is a fan's forum and it's supposed to be fun. And let's face it: 99% of what's posted here is opinion. If it gets to the point where no one can post anything without someone calling him out on it then it stops being fun very quickly.

vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
If anyone else has input on this issue I am all ears.

thanks.

i'm all for fun too, i think i demonstrate that regularly. but i also think you may be waaay over exaggerating your concern here. i don't think members are being "intimidated" when they make a claim as to understanding the mindset of a third party (Mike Wallace's father, for example) and another member asks for some substantiation of that, some quote or statement in support of the first member's claim. that's not intimidation. nor is that substantiation "demanded" as you state, nor does it happen to "everything" that is said here.

yes, most everything we state as members is opinion and based on our own personal beliefs of a given situation or player or coach or scheme, as none of us talk with the Vikings or sit in on meetings or practices. that's fine, and YES, opinions should be readily stated and encouraged here. and they are.

but why is it intimidation to respond and ask for substantiation, or "proof," as you called it? why do you feel a member is being "called out" if another member engages him and challenges his opinion?

isn't that just normal discussion and discourse?

Webmaster wrote:
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

but why is it intimidation to respond and ask for substantiation, or "proof," as you called it?

Well, it depends on the situation.

If someone makes a truly outlandish claim then fine, asking for proof is a legitimate debating tactic.

But if people are going to be called out for everything they post then they will just stop posting and the only ones left will be the forum cyber-bullies.

Last edited by milanb on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

i'm all for fun too, i think i demonstrate that regularly. but i also think you may be waaay over exaggerating your concern here. i don't think members are being "intimidated" when they make a claim as to understanding the mindset of a third party (Mike Wallace's father, for example) and another member asks for some substantiation of that, some quote or statement in support of the first member's claim. that's not intimidation. nor is that substantiation "demanded" as you state, nor does it happen to "everything" that is said here.

It is intimidation (or at least an attempt at it) when someone demands that the OP either provide a link or retraction.

I've been on this site for six years now and this forum has been free of this sort of thing until fairly recently.

vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
But if people are going to be called out for everything they post then they will just stop posting and the only ones let will be the forum cyber-bullies.

well, once again i think this is exaggeration. who's being "called out?" does it happen to "everything they post?"

is it "bullying" to ask for substantiation? is it "bullying" to offer substantiation, like when Harvin recently defended Ponder and said the media blew up a situation that wasn't a problem, and others choose to dismiss his exact quoted remarks?

i do want to say i think you are a great member, not that this is about you or me or particular members. i value your opinions and you usually back them up very well. if they are offered as solely opinion, you make that clear.

but at the same time, i just don't see a problem with member #2 asking member #1 for some substantiation as to a claim. because lots of guys state their opinions as if they are facts, and even facts that are beyond needing substantiation.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
It is intimidation (or at least an attempt at it) when someone demands that the OP either provide a link or retraction.

i just don't see that happening. certainly not as a forum-wide, re-occurring problem.

i don't see members demanding another member retract his statement if he cannot offer quoted substantiation.

and what is WRONG with asking for substantiation of an opinion? doesn't it make the opinion more valid if it's backed up with such evidence? and isn't that the basis of all debate, to search for the validity of statements offered?

Webmaster wrote:
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

but at the same time, i just don't see a problem with member #2 asking member #1 for some substantiation as to a claim. because lots of guys state their opinions as if they are facts, and even facts that are beyond needing substantiation.

It's OK to ask for a link, up to a point.

But if #1 admits that they don't have a link it's not OK for #2 to belabour the point and demand a retraction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: