Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking at the Numbers :Defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Looking at the Numbers :Defense Reply with quote

So after reading your guys think of the team this year. Im starting to look at the entire team in three parts. I look at money, contract, and of course performance. So before I start just take It easy on me lol Very Happy

Ok so first looking at the numbers letīs get to it shall we?

So the New Orleans Saints Defense is ranked 32nd allowing 327 total points

Now this worst defense is worth $114,212,221 in cap over the next 5 years

5 players out of that number take $57,621,889 of that original number

those six players are in order of largest to smallest

Smith $28,483,332 2 Years Left

Harper $15,000,000 2 Years Left

Jenkins $3,807,000 2 Years Left

Vilma $9,300,000 1 Year Left

Herring $5,000,000 1 year Left

Now the recent free agent signings this year will make up
$70,240,000 over the next 5 years

listing highest paid to smallest

Bunkley $20,900,000

Lofton $31,800,000

Hawthorne $17,275,000

Our recent two Rookie starters make

$4,320,000 Combined

Hicks $2,115,000
White $2,205,000

Current Contracts that are up at the end of the season are

Ellis
Shanle
Johnson
Bush
Mcbride
Mack
Humber
Daniels
Hixon

However these players are current RFAs

Hixon
Daniels
Bush
Galette

Now as a reminder under the 2011 CBA the RFA ranking for player pay compensation.

It looks like this

2.742 Million and over 1st round
1.927 2nd round
1.26 Original draft Status

currently the RFAs look like this

Hixon- ODS
Bush- ODS
Galette-ODS
Daniels-ODS

So looking at things

roughly 39.2% of the money of defense is going to players not playing up to their contracts.

Bunkley is making 94.6% more money than Hicks, Although Hicks is playing better than him.

Smith makes 623.4% more than Jordan

I have all a list of all players contracts and current statuses, If you have a question about a player not listed, and would like to know more, please let me know.

Otherwise look at the numbers, and see what really needs to be done with the defense.
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith will be gone, Vilma will be restructured or gone, Jenkins is making minimal money as it's about 1.75 mil per year, Harper is making 7.5 mil per year, and Herring might be gone as well.

So if you take Smith 10 million, Vilma 9 million, Herring 5 million, and maybe even Harper 7.5 million, that's 31.5 million left to be used next year... for a team that is supposed to be 10 million over, that puts us 21.5 million under...

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to be gutted, Harper, Smith, Ellis, Vilma, and probably Greer are never getting any better. Jenkins has potential to get better, but his time is running out and he really needs to stand out if he wants to keep his job. Even without looking at the numbers, certain players on this defense have been so bad for so long, they absolutely need to go.

Other players like Shanle, who first comes to mind, need to go regardless. I don't care if Shanle is using negative cap space, he needs to go. I'm really lazy when looking at cap space and salary numbers, but bad players with little/no potential to get any better should go regardless. Players past their prime with high contracts as well younger ones with play too horrendous to be excused. This goes for offense as well, I do not approve of this 5 back rotation, especially when most the carries are given to the least productive of them all. IMO, the decision to make Ingram the primary back this year has been the foundation of the offensive problems we've been having. No excuse for Ingram to be stealing carries from Ivory or Thomas. I really want Ingram to get better, but these other backs are too good to be the patient with him.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Smith will be gone, Vilma will be restructured or gone, Jenkins is making minimal money as it's about 1.75 mil per year, Harper is making 7.5 mil per year, and Herring might be gone as well.

So if you take Smith 10 million, Vilma 9 million, Herring 5 million, and maybe even Harper 7.5 million, that's 31.5 million left to be used next year... for a team that is supposed to be 10 million over, that puts us 21.5 million under...

I'm onboard with Raves here with one slight change...

I see it like this,

Will Smith gone: Simply not worth even the min these days.

Jon Vilma gone: Play has regressed alot and while he could be restructured the team will use the cap cas excuse to rid themselves of hearing about the Vilma/Bounty/Lawsuits next season by removing the distraction.

Will Herring gone: Dosen't deserve any more money than he already didn't earn.

Roman Harper: Not sure, I think the team will approach him about a restructured contract if he refuses then they will likely shop him via trade and if that don't happen then he could be released.

Sedrick Ellis Gone: Don't let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Brodrick Bonkley Safe: Bunkley has actually played really well ever since he was a healthy scratch from the Denver game. Hicks has proven that he has the athletic skills to play the NT or DT position so we could very well see Bunk and Hicks paired on the inside next season. Remember, Bunk was Spags guy!

David Hawthorne Safe: On a modest contract as far as his 2013 cap hit the Saints won't give up on this injuy plagued player just yet.

Malcolm Jenkins safe: Jenkins is the leader of spags defense... PER SPAGS!

Jabari Greer gone: I think the Saints find a way to move on from Greer, hes regressed and has a hefty cap number. He could be traded or released this offseason. Spags likes big press zone corners and Greer dosen't fit what he wants to do on the edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vilma-I think the only reason to approach about a restructure is the fact that we have nothing better at WLB and a trio of Vilma/Lofton/Hawthorne isn't too bad.

Harper-I think we try to move him and then use the money we saved from him on a SS like Kenny Phillips that fits Spags' scheme better.

Ellis-Unfortunately I agree, all the potential, just never put it together.

Greer-I was actually thinking this and in a GM Mock draft my first pick was a CB with that thought process. Maybe putting him in at Nickel as I couldn't move him yet.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Vilma-I think the only reason to approach about a restructure is the fact that we have nothing better at WLB and a trio of Vilma/Lofton/Hawthorne isn't too bad.

Harper-I think we try to move him and then use the money we saved from him on a SS like Kenny Phillips that fits Spags' scheme better.

Ellis-Unfortunately I agree, all the potential, just never put it together.

Greer-I was actually thinking this and in a GM Mock draft my first pick was a CB with that thought process. Maybe putting him in at Nickel as I couldn't move him yet.

Were pretty much on the same page here...

Vilma I agree but as far as what's there if he goes, I really liked Chris Chamberlin before we lost him to injury. I also like the idea of going after Phillip Wheeler in FA.

Harper I think will restructure.

Ellis is as good as gone.

Greer I think is going to be the suprise Cap Cas. this offseason. Harper is always said to be a non fit in Spags scheme, well Greer is worse than Harper as far as fit goes. I see the Saints moving him in a trade during the draft.

saintsfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody wish we had kept TP over Greer?

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 3 cat 25 yds 0 TD
S Rafael Bush 9 tak 0 INT 1 PD 1 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saintsfan wrote:

Not sure... For every pick 6 Porter had he also missed 6 games with injury and was ran over by a running back for a touchdown. Lol

saintsfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
saintsfan wrote:

Not sure... For every pick 6 Porter had he also missed 6 games with injury and was ran over by a running back for a touchdown. Lol
Yea, but he was also young, had great coverage skills, and still had the potential to be even better. I love Greer, but he's on the downhill slope of his career.

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 3 cat 25 yds 0 TD
S Rafael Bush 9 tak 0 INT 1 PD 1 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saintsfan wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
saintsfan wrote:

Yea, but he was also young, had great coverage skills, and still had the potential to be even better. I love Greer, but he's on the downhill slope of his career.

Agreed... But Porter wasn't worth the 4-5 million per he wanted either. That's why he took the 1 year 4 million deal with Denver.

Trust me, he's missed... Only in coverage

Raves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter doesn't fit the scheme either, he's a finesse corner, not a physical man corner.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Porter doesn't fit the scheme either, he's a finesse corner, not a physical man corner.

Tru Dat, Spot on T-Raves! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: