Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.5.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Daintrain28's Mock Offseason v.2013.5.0 Reply with quote

Since my last one was such a smashing success Laughing

Scenario:
~Green Bay finishes the season 12-4
~We win the Wildcard Round of the playoffs, before being defeated by the San Francisco 49ers in the Divisional Round
~We are awarded the 25th pick
~We are awarded a 4th round compensatory pick for Matt Flynn

Released/Not resigned/Retired:
~Charles Woodson
~Greg Jennings
~Cedric Benson
~Donald Driver
~Jeff Saturday

Resigned:
~Sam Shields

~Erik Walden

~Tom Crabtree

~Jermichael Finley

Free Agency
~Steven Jackson RB St. Louis Rams

Jackson may very well be the missing link for our offense. He would bring tremendous balance to our offense, and his presence would make teams respect the pass, thus opening up the passing game.

At his age, he would like be a bargain. While he is not the player he once was, he still is a darn good player. An upgrade over Benson, and a quality stopgap as the team waits for Alex Green to come through.

~Terrance Knighton NT Jacksonville Jaguars

An area of need no one is talking about is depth on the DL. After Pickett and Raji, we are very thin. Knighton is one of the few bright spots of the Jaguars' personnel moves from the last few years. He is undervalued and could be a cheap veteran backup.

I think how close we are to another championship, TT might invest in some undervalued FAs like last year. That might very well include Knighton.

~Sam Baker LT Atlanta Falcons

Think TT won't sign three FAs in an offseason? I am reminded of comments TT made early in his career about when the Packers get close to a championship, people will see him make a lot of moves. I do not think TT will break the bank for any big name FAs, but I think he will go after a few cheap FAs who are undervalued. That could be Sam Baker.

Once in the upper half of LTs in all of football, Baker has struggled with injuries lately. He is young though, and if his injury situation could resolve itself, there is no reason to think he could not regain his previous form.

The Packers would be in a win-win situation with Baker. He will be cheap, if he pans out, there is a viable option in case Sherrod is not ready to go. If not, what have they really lost?

The Draft:
With the 25th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Barrett Jones C Alabama
6'5" 311 lbs. 5.10/40

Alright, alright, I overvalued him in the last mock. But that being said, he would be the final piece to our OL. There are many reasons to like Jones as a prospect. He is strong at the point of attack, athletic, gets around well in space, smart as a whip, and a true locker room leader if there ever was one.

There have been some questions if Jones can play LT, and that is a possibility, but most think he could be an all world Center.

The bottom line is he appears to be a player who can play. He brings his lunchpail to work, and works his butt off. A good "Packer Person" to keep our franchise QB upright.

It's time to take a page from Ron Wolf, when you are blessed with a once in a generation player like Aaron Rodgers, you better invest in big, tough, and mean OL to keep him standing upright. Jones fits the bill very well.

With the 57th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
6'0" 184 lbs. 4.42/40

This is a LOADED CB class, and a darn fine player is going to fall to the 2nd Round. Knowing that a) TT is all about value, b) teams are still able to throw on us too much and c) our young pass rushers are progressing fine and likely will fill the spot. I wouldn't mind seeing us go CB in Round 2.

Trufant is a damn good CB who could fill in very well for us. He's tall, fast, has long arm, and is damn good athlete. The Huskies are putting him on an island against some of the best WRs in the game. While he doesn't typically get sexy stats he routinely shuts them down.

Likely would be a 1st rounder in most years, and that makes him a steal at #57.

With the 89th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Omoregie Uzzi G Georgia Tech
6'3" 300 lbs. 5.25/40

Another undervalued prospect. Tailor made for the ZBS with his athleticism, but unlike most ZBS prospects he brings attitude and straight nastiness with his game.

Better at run blocking than pass blocking at this point, but with some refinement he could be a damn fine all around G.

Like I keep saying, we better keep investing in players who can protect the franchise in Aaron Rodgers. The longer we prolong Rodgers' career the more chances we have at another championship.

With the 125th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Brandon Williams DE/DT Missouri Southern
6'2" 328 lbs. 5.20/40

Gonna give I am Rodgers credit with this guy, and what a find this guy is. A small school prospect who is excelling against the competition but flying under the radar.

Williams is both a pass rusher and space eater and gives us flexibility to use him in both base and Nickel. He can play both LDE and RDE and really could be a big time steal.

Strong as a bull, athletic, nimble and a damn fine pass rusher this kid could be the diamond in the rough you look for in Round 4. Props to IaR, but this guy is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

With the 134th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...
Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
63 200 lbs. 4.50/40

Big, strong WR who is good after the catch. Racks up a lot of YAC and could be a good replacement for DD and Jennings.

With the 210th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...

Bruce Taylor ILB Virginia Tech
62 244 lbs. 4.73/40

Bigger bodied ILB to be that FB of the defense to backup AJ Hawk and be a ST player.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better job. I'm not a big Uzzi fan or Trufant, but I mainly because I haven't looked into them enough. Our OLine would definitely be completely overhauled. And thanks for the props on Williams. I'm glad you like him after looking into him more and get what I'm saying about him. LDE or RDE, he can play both base and nickel.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, since I made some big mistakes in my last mock, I took some of the players I liked from that one and reworked it with a few additions. The biggest of all was I came to the conclusion that Jones will be there at #25 and there is no need to trade up.

Also, yes I did have TT signing three FAs. For those of you who say this can never happen, he did it last year.

I think this FA class could have some real value players and I think TT may make a few moves to utilize stopgaps to keep this team close to a championship.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
Much better job. I'm not a big Uzzi fan or Trufant, but I mainly because I haven't looked into them enough. Our OLine would definitely be completely overhauled. And thanks for the props on Williams. I'm glad you like him after looking into him more and get what I'm saying about him. LDE or RDE, he can play both base and nickel.

Yes Williams certainly can. Every once in awhile a small school prospect slides under the radar and becomes a baller in the NFL. That guy could be Williams especially in GB.

I would suggest you look at Trufant and Uzzi more. They also have steal written all over them. Trufant is a lock down CB with prototypical height and speed. Like I said, most years he'd be a 1st round pick, and it's only because this year is such a deep CB class, and there's like 10 CBs with Round 1 grades that he could slide to #57.

Uzzi is more of a project that could pan out big time. He is straight up nasty. Definitely more of a run blocker, and will need to bring along pass blocking before he can take over a starting spot, but if he put it together, look out!

Definitely worth a 3rd round pick IMO...

I Am Rodgers wrote:
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no Woodson Dain? Killing me softly...
spilltray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Also, yes I did have TT signing three FAs. For those of you who say this can never happen, he did it last year.

I think this FA class could have some real value players and I think TT may make a few moves to utilize stopgaps to keep this team close to a championship.

While I get that, I just don't see where the money to sign those guys is going to come from, especially if you resign Jennings and keep Finley. Finley still believes he is worth an elite contract, so unless an extension is at least in the rough ballpark of his current 2 year deal, I don't see him resigning and instead opting to become a FA. I also don't think he is worth near his current salary, but that's a bit of a different issue.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

While I get that, I just don't see where the money to sign those guys is going to come from, especially if you resign Jennings and keep Finley. Finley still believes he is worth an elite contract, so unless an extension is at least in the rough ballpark of his current 2 year deal, I don't see him resigning and instead opting to become a FA. I also don't think he is worth near his current salary, but that's a bit of a different issue.

When did I resign Jennings?

daintrain28 wrote:
Released/Not resigned/Retired:
~Charles Woodson
~Greg Jennings
~Cedric Benson
~Donald Driver
~Jeff Saturday

And Finley's play will lower the price to the point where we can afford him. Plus it's not like any of those guys are gonna be expensive. Sam Baker is going to be lucky to be on any roster next year, and Steven Jackson may have a big name, but his age is gonna scare teams away.

You are looking at very inexpensive contracts.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Why no Woodson Dain? Killing me softly...

Looking at his play and the way it has dropped off I think he will retire. Just MO.

I Am Rodgers wrote:
packattack86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we resign Finley, he still has a yr on his contract, plus he has been wildly inconsistent. If we lose Jennings I'd like to see that 2nd rd pick used on a WR, I like our young CB's with Hayward, House, Shields, and Tramon.

Barrett is a great pick, he could become a pro bowl center and replace Saturday. Also, if we draft Jones there's no need to take Uzzi that high.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about Jackson and the runningback scenario the more Im reminded of Woodson and the previous cornerbacks.

A position where youth continually fails us and a player coming on the market who most people think is washed up with a series of injuries on his past.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrett Jones really is looking like an ideal pick for us. I don't like the idea of drafting "LT insurance" at round-1, or seeking to make our first-round investment in Sherrod a mere backup by drafting a starter-LT. But a guy who can provide insurance/possible starter at LT while also filling a need (long-term C) just works out beautifully.

But the next few picks make me scratch my head. We have a lot of young talent at CB, G, and DL as it is. I'd look to add players at those spots much later. If we have good players on our board at WR, RB, and maybe LB or S on day-2, I'd much prefer we go that route instead.

<33333333
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
Barrett Jones really is looking like an ideal pick for us. I don't like the idea of drafting "LT insurance" at round-1, or seeking to make our first-round investment in Sherrod a mere backup by drafting a starter-LT. But a guy who can provide insurance/possible starter at LT while also filling a need (long-term C) just works out beautifully.

But the next few picks make me scratch my head. We have a lot of young talent at CB, G, and DL as it is. I'd look to add players at those spots much later. If we have good players on our board at WR, RB, and maybe LB or S on day-2, I'd much prefer we go that route instead.

But I reject that notion. We have one backup G in EDS. Actually we have one backup at the three interior line positions. Minimally we need to add another G.

At DL, yes we do have good depth, but not at LDE. We have one backup for NT and LDE. More depth is needed badly and what makes Williams so valuable is his versatility - he can play LDE too.

I Am Rodgers wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: