Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who else is beyond ANGRY?!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalLionsFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Who else is beyond ANGRY?!?! Reply with quote

I would think that after 2 consecutive games of the "prevent defense", preventing the Lions from winning a game, that they would try something else perhaps.
Nope, third times' a charm. The "prevent defense" again snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

All of us are saying it's "this guy" or "that guy." Bring in Tebow and Rex? (those 2 would bring a new meaning to me being angry).Those 2 show up and I will still be a Lions fan, but it will probably be British Columbia instead of Detroit. Shocked There are certainly fingers to be pointed, injuries to be accounted for,certain players must go ( for age, performance, attitude, contract, etc... reasons)BUT, I'M SEEING COACHING ERRORS.

I've always been a firm believer in "play the way that got you the lead."

The second we settled for the FG for a 20-14 lead over GB, I knew we lost. We go to the "prevent" with a 6 point lead, the Packers couldn't move the ball all day, and amazingly enough.....21-20. Big suprise!

Houston was no different (other than literally). We got into Hansons FG range and stopped. Rather than even try to get closer, the Lions figured it was close enough, ran 3 stupid running plays that got a total of 5 feet and then Hanson( who I love and has been great for many years), misses.

Yesterday, we had a hard enough time stopping Luck and co. as it was. The Lions had only a 5 point lead. So we play prevent again!!?? What on earth did they think was going to happen? "It's gotta work this time?" What the #@$%$ were they thinking?

Sorry, just had to rant a bit. I'm sure I'm not seeing everything that's going on, but I am seeing enough to be angry. I still love this mess/team no matter how bad it gets. But somebody needs to figure out that the "prevent defense" will only prevent winning.

There is always a way to solve problems WITHOUT violence
WillParks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coaches played prevent defense and prevent offense. However, Drayton Florence giving up that late TD was ridiculous. How do you let a guy get behind you when you are supposed to be playing a prevent defense?

There are two things at work here:

1. The coaching staff is outsmarting itself. We know we can pass the ball all day long but aren't so good at running/run-blocking. Throw a couple of screens, a WR bubble or some other high percentage pass. We could even put the ball in the hands of our best players (Johnson and Stafford) late in the game (I know that is crazy talk).

2. Our players are inmature and borderline stupid. Nick Fairley had a neutral zone infraction and a horse collar penalty late that kept the colts alive. Suh had a great game but was once again accused of taunting an injured player. Pettigrew and his inconsistent hands hurt us again today. Great players make plays when their team needs it the most. Right now, we have some players with the potential to be great thy are not great players (Suh, Fairley, Stafford), one great player (Calvin Johnson), a bunch of other players who just aren't getting it done (all of our DEs, Peterman, Raiola, and whole lot of other guys who are good role players but are overshadowed by the knuckleheads on this team.
Big Cat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we selected Schwartz I visited the Titan's forum and many of their fans were glad to see him go. Why, because he loved the prevent defense, and hardly ever blitzed. Unfortunately, Schwartz will never change.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not the only team that plays prevent defense. Every team does that sees leads like we have. Dont act like the prevent is something that only we do. Its not on the coaches for calling it. Its on the players for not executing.

Now, im on board with a new staff, but the prevent serves a purpose and I would call it in the same situation just as every coach would.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Cat wrote:
When we selected Schwartz I visited the Titan's forum and many of their fans were glad to see him go. Why, because he loved the prevent defense, and hardly ever blitzed. Unfortunately, Schwartz will never change.

And the Titans defense was always among the leagues best when he was their DC.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly fans should be upset with themselves. This was a decent but not good team last year. The comeback wins skewed the level of talent that Det had. Defense only regressed this year. No quality DBS added after secondary is why they lost last year.

Expectations did not match reality of roster.

This was a 6-9 win team at best. They are looking closer to 6 then 8. I think I had them around 8-9 wins but would have to dig it up. I too may have over estimated how poor the defense was.

Not going to get 4 comeback wins every year

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Cat wrote:

So Schwartz called D as DC in Ten. Yet as HC he gets blame here? Sorry but Gunther calls plays as DC.

If this is Scwartz fault as HC here it was not his fat in Ten because he was not HC

Can't have it both ways

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
We're not the only team that plays prevent defense. Every team does that sees leads like we have. Dont act like the prevent is something that only we do. Its not on the coaches for calling it. Its on the players for not executing.

Now, im on board with a new staff, but the prevent serves a purpose and I would call it in the same situation just as every coach would.

Not sure how I'm acting like we're the only ones, but, okay.

And yes! It is on the coaches for calling it because obviously, the players CANNOT exectute it. They seem to execute the "regular" defense just fine.

This is 3 games in a row, same coaches call, same execution, same result.

There is always a way to solve problems WITHOUT violence
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem:
Quote:
We got into Hansons FG range and stopped. Rather than even try to get closer, the Lions figured it was close enough, ran 3 stupid running plays that got a total of 5 feet and then Hanson( who I love and has been great for many years), misses.

You highlighted a bunch of execution problems here, yet are blaming the coaches. Don't you see how wrong that is?

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
My problem:
Quote:
We got into Hansons FG range and stopped. Rather than even try to get closer, the Lions figured it was close enough, ran 3 stupid running plays that got a total of 5 feet and then Hanson( who I love and has been great for many years), misses.

You highlighted a bunch of execution problems here, yet are blaming the coaches. Don't you see how wrong that is?
Looks like he highlighted strategic problems to me.
LionFanRoxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the coaching staff has big problems. But, if the captains don't rip the team subsequent new anal orifices and light a fire, they're part of the problem, too.

This is about pride, now. Either get on the bus, or get under it.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
My problem:
Quote:

If you run three times, and gain five feet, your players failed to execute. Period. There just isn't a debate there.

If your kicker misses a kick he normally makes, he failed to execute. If Hanson executes, and he should have, the coaches' strategy would appear to be the right one.

Fans only complain about the prevent defense when the defending team loses. Many games are won utilizing a defense late in the game that prevents big plays.

Team Stylish
detroitroar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why anyone is upset with Florence. We know hes garbage. He knows hes garbage. Apparently our coaching staff doesnt know hes garbage. He was left isolated on one side of the field for 2 of their TD's. Its either that or Delmas abandoned his deep zone on the 2nd one. Either way, unacceptable.

IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
My problem:
Quote:

People were crying at the time becasue we weren't running. We run and now we're crying for running. Seems legit.

R.I.P. Stylish
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Fans only complain about the prevent defense when the defending team loses. Many games are won utilizing a defense late in the game that prevents big plays.

Prove to me that this team can do that.

You can't.

We all know this as fans, why can't the coaches see it?

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: