Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detailed Colts Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Detailed Colts Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Re-signings

The Colts do not have marquee free agents, but keeping the Chuck Stong core together is important to maintaining the momentum that this team hs right now.

WR Donnie Avery [3 years 10.5 million/4 guaranteed]

He seems to have re-started his career and while he only does a couple of things and he has those knee injuries he is worth keeping on a solid/modest deal.

CB Cassius Vaughn [2 years 4 million/1 guaranteed]

He has shown flashes and deserves to be kept around on a modest primary back up type deal.

DT Anotnio Johnson [2 years 7 million/2 guaranteed]

A steady veteran NT is a must re-sign as the healtht of Chapman and McKinney is in question.

DE Fili Moala [4 years 12 million/5 guaranteed]

When healthy he seems to have an impact on defense and at worse he provides depth.

OT Winston Justice [2 years 7 million/3 guaranteed]

He has played well this season and deserves a raise and to go into next season with the RT job his to lose.

OG Joe Rietz [RFA] [2nd round tender]

Young and developing if he can stay healthy and worth more time and a modest raise.

OT Jeff Linkenbach [RFA] [6th round tender]

He provides decent depth at a number of positions.

P Pat MCAfee [4 years 10 million/3 guaranteed]

A good punter and kick off man that should be paid.

QB Drew Stanton [2 years 4 million/1 guaranteed]

Good backups are not a luxury in the NFL anymore with the concussion protocols.

Release/Not Re-signed

WR Austin Collie
RE Melwede Moore
LB Dwight Freeney
RB Donald Brown

Free Agents

The plan is to strategicly plug holes with 1b or 2nd tier free agents and to continue to build a core through the draft. But the Colts need to be active in free agency because they have to increase the overall talent level to compete with the top teams.

CB Cary Williams [Baltimore] 5 years 32 million/15 guaranteed

Williams can reunite with Chuck and he knows the defense. I also think that the Ravens will struggle to re-sign him because they have Webb and Jimmy Smith waiting on the bench. He soldifies the CB position with Davis and Vaughn providing depth.

S Rashad Johnson [Arizona] 4 years 15 million/5 guaranteed

Zibikowski should not really be a starting safety in the NFL and Johnson has had a very good year as a backup in Arizona. He has made plays on the ball and shown that he can tackle which makes him ideal for the starting SS job and allowing Zibo to anchor the special teams cover units.

OG Antoine Caldwell [Houston] 5 years 22 million/10 guaranteed

The Colts can solidify the interior OL while weakening a division opponent. Caldwell who has battled injuries is a very solid OG and provides an upgrade at the RG spot.

CB D.J Moore [Chicago] 4 years 12 million/4 guaranteed

Moore is a dynamic nickle back when he is not running his mouth and getting benched in Chicago, but most importantly he is a good blitzer and he gets his hands on the ball.

OT Jeremy Trueblood [Tampa Bay] 1 years 2.5 million/1 guaranteed

Trueblood lost his spot in Tampa Bay so he is brought in on a 1 year prove it deal to re-establish his value and compete at RT. He is also from Indianapolis which would let him come home to play.

Draft

Trade DT Drake Nevis to Carolina Panthers for a 4th round pick.

1[22] OLB Dion Jordan [Oregon] 6'7" 245lbs.

The Colts cannot afford to keep Dwight Freeney and they need to look to add an athletic pass rusher that compliment Mathis. Jordan is a little raw, like Aldon Smith, but he is the best athlete in the draft and has lined up at DE, OLB, CB, S and TE for Oregon and done so without embarrassing himself. He can immediatly step in and simply provide big play ability for the defense. Jordan could be a cornerstone type player with some coaching and Chuck has worked with some great OLBs.

3[86] DE William Gholston [Michigan St] 6'7" 285lbs.

Gholston is falling in the draft, but that may benefit the Colts as they need to start transitioning their DL to bigger more physical players. Gholston is not a pass rusher, but he is very good against the run and is physical and big enough to match up with almost any OT that he is going to go against. He can compete with Moala to play the end across from Redding.

4. RB Kenjon Barner [Oregon] 5'11" 190lbs.

The Colts have RBs that are able to grind it out in the run game, but no one who can really be dynamic on 3rd down and in the passing game. Barner may never be a full time NFL RB, but he can add a Darren Sproles element to the offence and in the kick return game.

4. OG Oscar Johnson [Louisiana Tech] 6'6" 330lbs.

Depth and size need to be added to the Colts OL and Johnson who played OT and OG while at Louisiana Tech adds both of those things. He has starting potential down the line and can come in and insure that A.Q Shipley and friends do not start when guys get injured.

6. S Jordan Kovacs [Michigan] 6' 205lbs.

A high character high floor/low ceiling that can come in and be an impact special teams player and a good locker room guy. He is the ideal back up as he has made a career out of out working and knowing more than the players ahead of him.

7. WR/TE Marquies Gray [Minnesota] 6'4" 240lbs.

Gray is a former QB who recently switched positions and he has a ton of size, athletic ability and potential that the Colts can develop. He can also mimic running QBs for the scout team during weeks of practice where that is required. Think Joe Webb.

Depth Chart

QB: Luck, Stanton
RB: Ballard, Barner, Carter
WR: Wayne, Avery, Hilton, Brazill, Gray, Palmer
TE: Allen, Fleener, Saunders
LT: Costanzo, Linkenbach
LG: Rietz, Johnson
C: Satele
RG: Caldwell, McGlynn
RT: Justice/Trueblood

RE: Moala/Gholston
NT: Johnson, Chapman, McKinney
LE: Redding, Geathers, Matthews
OLB: Mathis, Hickman, Addison
MLB: Freeman, Angerer
MLB: Conner, Edds
OLB: Jordan, Hughes
CB: Williams, Davis, Moore, Vaughn, Butler
FS: Bethea, Lefegd
SS: Johnson, Zibikowski, Kovacs
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears keep breaking my heart so I am focusing my attention on another team.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good effort. I'll just nit-pick a couple things before I really critique it.
Arrow You obviously mean for Jerraud Powers to leave in FA though you don't mention him. (no qualms I don't think he fits this scheme as well as the last one.)
Arrow We released Mewelde Moore a few weeks ago, no damage done.

------------------------------------------------------------
1) If we re-sign NT Antonio Johnson I hope it isn't for more then a 1 year deal and not at $3.5 million per. He hasn't been holding up blocks like a 3-4 NT should (Even though he did put on weight, likely up to 325lbs instead of the 312lbs he was listed at last year) . Even with Redding, Mathis and Freeney all on the field at the same time it seems like we aren't getting any interior push.
2) I would prefer the Colts keep Brown and Ballard at running back unless we add someone who can carry the load more significantly then Ballard. I don't think Ballard can do that and if Barner can't then we are worse off then we are.
3) Taking off from my last point, I think Hilton and Brazill at WR can play more of the Randall Cobb role that the Packers are utilizing in the backfield as oppposed to a RB in the Sproles prototype.
4) I love the additions to the secondary and I agree 100% that Zbikowski isn't starter material .
5) As it stands right now, the Colts don't have any picks after the 4th round.
5th - traded to SF in 2012 draft day trade (for Hilton)
6th - traded to Miami with 2nd rder for Vontae Davis deal (conditional)
7th - traded to Philly in deal with CB Kevin Thomas for LB Moises Fokou and LB Greg Lloyd Jr.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pagano was very passionate about "building the monster." With all the cap money incoming we gon' cop defense on the low.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-The 6th and 7th are conditional picks correct what are the parameters for losing them?

-I am not a Don Brown fan at all and I think the Colts can get more consistent (Ballard) and more dynamic (Barner) pretty easily.

-Johnson is in a good position for him because of health behind him.

-I would hate for the Colts to go to spend crazy in free agency I hate wrapping big money in 1 guy unless it is Julius Peppers.

-the defense in my opinion needs to get bigger and more teeth.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
-The 6th and 7th are conditional picks correct what are the parameters for losing them?

-I am not a Don Brown fan at all and I think the Colts can get more consistent (Ballard) and more dynamic (Barner) pretty easily.

-Johnson is in a good position for him because of health behind him.

-I would hate for the Colts to go to spend crazy in free agency I hate wrapping big money in 1 guy unless it is Julius Peppers.

-the defense in my opinion needs to get bigger and more teeth.

Not sure on the parameters of either trade, though I consider that Fokou made the roster and has played a decent amount of snaps.
At the time of the trade we had lost AJ Edds to a season ending injury and without many expectations for Jerrelle Freeman, Edds was considered our top b/u at ILB. So I presume snaps was a main condition maybe even starts. Thomas was released by the Eagles 3 weeks later and Lloyd was released in final cut downs.

I'm not arguing to get rid of Johnson, I just don't want to lock him down/overpay him just because of other players health. I don't really know that McKinney would have been that good for us if healthy but I know that Johnson hasn't been great.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a free agent NT might be available that is a better option than Johnson and protects against Champmans health.

Kevin Vickerson
Sammie Lee Hill
Terrence Knighton

It would be nice for the Colts to really screw the division and take Knighton to play NT and Barwin to play OLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: