Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Needs: Can we handle in Free Agency?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty would be so deadly from the slot still.

Wallace - LaFell - Smith. Potent 3 WR sets with Olsen.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Moody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever is brought in has to be able to be a deep threat. Smith can't do it by himself. Mike Wallace would cost a ton but he'd be the ideal player. Greg Jennings wouldn't be bad either.

Fixing the line and adding a deep threat would flip this offense entirely. So long as they quit running from shotgun
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BringinDaPain wrote:
boondock wrote:
I think anytime we have a chance to add a playmaker around Cam, we need to. It's going to make Cam that much better. I hate to say it, but I think some of Cam's slump this year is due to a declining Smitty.

Out of the list above, I like Wallace the best, he's the most dynamic and the best right now, and probably hasn't hit the prime of his career yet.

I really wouldn't mind picking up an WR with our 2nd round pick this year. I really dig Cordarelle Patterson or Justin Hunter from Tenn.

If we were able to get Wallace and one of those picks, our WR corps would be set for a while when teamed with Lafell and Pilares/Edwards. Smitty could play the slot role for a few years while he is phased out.

What about Gettis? You don't have him listed.

Gettis does not seem to be coming back from his injury like we first imagined. He's not even been active this year, so either he's not as healthy as we imagined or he's not as good as he once was.

We also have to consider Joe Adams, our punt returner in the mix as well. Gettis just looks to be the odd man out, especially when you get as many WR weapons as we would have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone watched the tape on Smitty this year to figure out why he's not producing? Is Cam just not seeing him, or is he not getting open, or is he being doubled?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
Has anyone watched the tape on Smitty this year to figure out why he's not producing? Is Cam just not seeing him, or is he not getting open, or is he being doubled?

He's still producting, has over 700 yards on the year, but he's obviously not the Smitty of old.

From what I've seen, he's not been making catches that we've come to expect from him. A lot of these catches you wouldn't expect from many WRs. He's been the focal point of a lot of defenses as well, but the Smitty of old still found ways to be involved.

This is why I think a guy like Wallace would be huge for our offense. He would produce himself, but also take some attention away from Smitty, maximizing his play as well. I know it would be expensive, but this team and fanbase needs a big splash this year, and I think WR is just the place to make it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't really want Wallace. Not even sure if he's better than his teammate (Brown) at this point and seems to have a huge ego to go along with inconsistent play and particularly inconsistent hands. Plus I think he'll probably just be asking for too much.

I'd love Bowe. He has matured a lot both on and off the field.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would normally want to draft a #1, but I don't like the top of the crop this year. I'd like Bowe or Wallace, not Jennings or Welker at all.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
JonBEASTon52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Wouldn't really want Wallace. Not even sure if he's better than his teammate (Brown) at this point and seems to have a huge ego to go along with inconsistent play and particularly inconsistent hands. Plus I think he'll probably just be asking for too much.

I'd love Bowe. He has matured a lot both on and off the field.

Completely agree with this. Bowe has proven himself in KC despite some horrendous QB play, and reminds me a lot of Smith in his go get the ball mentality/work ethic. Pairing a headcase like Wallace with our immature QB would be a fun train to watch until the wheels inevitably fall off. I think that both Jennings and Welker are declining and injury prone put I'd gamble on either if they came at a cheap price. Bowe/Smith/LaFell/Olsen/ would make for an awesome receiving threat and could potentially extend Smitty's career a few more seasons. It would also allow us more time to find a new #1 in upcoming drafts without pressure as Bowe will be solid until the day he retires. Note to Jerry Richardson: Stop penny-pinching when FA rolls around, make a splash, sign Dwayne Bowe. Also make Chip Kelly the next coach, but that's for another thread...
faccda01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Wallace is that being of a problem. He wants to get paid, sure, but I think that his head is still in the game and I haven't heard of any issues since the holdout, which IMO was justified.

I definitely like Bowe and wouldn't be upset if the Panthers signed him, however at this point I think we have a lot of posession WRs and a deep threat like Wallace would open up the field a lot more for both our running game and short passing game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bowe is the only one deserving of a look. Wallace is going to be borderline, but with his questionable attitude and criminal history, I don't see him passing Richardson's filter.

I think that Cam's playing style can be a great match for one of those big, rangy receivers. Cam buys time as well as any quarterback. That gives the bigger receivers time to get downfield where they can win jump balls. Think about how much damage Vincent Jackson and Roddy White do just by being more physical than the defensive players assigned to cover them.

He's also a committed blocker downfield, which is obviously a huge plus for Carolina's offense. He would be the best since Moose in that regard.

On the other hand, he's 28 this season. I think he's got a few more seasons of great performance in him, but a steep price on a guy who would be 29 when we signed him would be tough for a team already facing salary cap issues. I think he'll take a discount to get out of Kansas City, but some other teams could blow up his value and cost us a shot at him. At this point none of the guys are realistic options with Carolina's obvious cap problems, but I think Bowe should be the guy if the opportunity arises.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: