Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Hot Seat - Norv Turner's 2012 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid is "name" worthy. That's it. Eagles and the NFC East are shoved down our throats on primetime so people have heard of Reid.

What is Spanos out for? Money. So we will know when we hire a new coach just how long we are stuck with the Spanos'.

If he is out for a short term return on his investment he will bring in a big "name" coach to bring up the credibility of the team in hopes of selling it during the move to Los Angeles.

If he goes with the riskier option of bringing in a newer coach/coordinator, the team has a better shot at being long term viable and competitive in the NFL. They still will end up in Los Angeles it's just Spanos will be keeping the majority stake of the team while increasing his long term return.

If we keep AJ then when we have to hire Hue Jackson. Bags to avoiding conflict let's just get some passion in a franchise that desperately needs it.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
I am so up in the air with a future head coach. Today I convinced myself that Hue Jackson would be an improvement.

I hope we at least talk to the Saints Carmichael though.

Part of being a good HC (a major part) is bringing in a competent staff. Hue's biggest mistake, other than the Carson trade, was bringing in Chuck Bresnahan as the DC. So as good as Hue is at putting his players in right position to succeed, he failed miserably at picking coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

If you guys bring in a good GM and Hue gets his ego in check in order to put together a solid roster and coaches, then he would be a great fit. Until then I would be weary of Hue...

I agree. Hue is a huge gamble and needs a strong GM in place. If AJ stays Hue might be my pick with the caveat that he keeps Pagano and the defensive staff in place.

I want to keep Pagano in his current position. How that plays out with the Head Coach and General Manager in the cross hairs; I can't see yet. Ideally though, AJ/Jackson/Pagano is the best case for me if AJ stays.

AJ being fired though changes that. I want a new General Manager to have the say on his entire staff so their is no excuses. Pagano gets no pass in that scenario although I'd hope the new GM/HC would at least interview him for the position.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
game3525

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Would Rivers excel in the WCO? I don't think Reid is the right fit for this team but if he kept Pagano then maybe it would work out. How is Reid as a motivator or disciplinarian? We lack those two things and need someone to bring an attitude with them.

Rivers would do fine IMO.

Reid WCO isn't pure like Walsh, it is a lot more vertical which fits Rivers.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Would Rivers excel in the WCO? I don't think Reid is the right fit for this team but if he kept Pagano then maybe it would work out. How is Reid as a motivator or disciplinarian? We lack those two things and need someone to bring an attitude with them.

Plus, Reid would probably adjust.

I hope Pags doesn't get fired, he doesn't deserve to, and this D is getting better under him (yes, Rice play was bad, but Pags didn't call for all of them to miss)

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norv deserved to be fired last year, and certainly does after this year. The offense is in such bad shape that you can't leave it like it is and expect it to get better. AJ Smith has failed to add any decent talent on the offensive side in drafts and it is showing how poor depth there is because he goes out and spends a bunch of money on players who have not performed well. The last 'good' offensive player AJ Smith drafted was probably McNeil in 2006.

The offensive line is a joke. Hardwick is above average, and Green/Vasquez are serviceable. Not All-Pro, but you can win a lot of games with them as starters. Clary is a mess, Gaither is a huge bust, and Harris is just an undrafted free agent rookie in way over his head. Philip obviously does not feel comfortable in these guys and is making terrible reads, decisions, and throws because of it.

I like our group of tight ends, but Gates is no longer the game changer he once was. Still capable of making some big plays and getting 50-100 yards in a game, but not the dominant 'best player on the field' he was in the 2005-2010 years.

As for other options, Floyd is a nice player. But like Gates he can't be relied to be the go to guy in key moments. Alexander has shown to be a good investment. But after that? Meacham is bad, Brown is injured, and Royal is both.

Then the running game. We all though Mathews could be a quality workhorse running back, but it looks like that was something not true. I thought he was the most talented player on the offense, but he has shown little explosion and has struggled to even get in the game.

So yeah, this offense is just devoid of any game changing talent. The offensive line doesn't scare anyone, receivers aren't dependable, and there is no running game. Sorry Norv, if you can't make the offense look good at the least then you have no reason to be here. But watch the Charegrs go 4-1 to finish the year 8-8 and Dean be impressed how the team finished strong Rolling Eyes
game3525

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

I hope Pags doesn't get fired, he doesn't deserve to, and this D is getting better under him (yes, Rice play was bad, but Pags didn't call for all of them to miss)

Yeah, I hope whoever the next coach is wise enough to leave the defense alone with Pags. The unit is young and they are one pass-rusher away from being a top 5 defense IMO even with shoddy corners.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Yeah, I hope whoever the next coach is wise enough to leave the defense alone with Pags. The unit is young and they are one pass-rusher away from being a top 5 defense IMO even with shoddy corners.

I won't say Pagano is an automatic retain. He's a preferable one under most likely outcomes, but were say something completely unexpected like Ray Horton (Arizona's DC, and former Pittsburgh position coach) hired as our HC, I wouldn't be outraged if he decided Pagano wasn't his cup of tea and wanted to bring in his own guy. Horton has enough of a body of work in producing a high-end defense for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, he's also a highly doubtful hire.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd miss having Pags, who I'm sure would get an immediate DC job somewhere after his 1 year of work with this unit. I'd like to keep Barry at LB coach, he's done a great job. Our LBs look a lot better.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Zappaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPNís Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday morning that San Diego general manager A.J. Smith and Norv Turnerís futures are likely connected.

Thus, there very well could be wholesale changes after the season. Both men were given a reprieve last year. That likely wonít happen this year, barring a major turnaround.

Mortensen reported a likely replacement for Smith would be San Diego director of player personnel Jimmy Raye. Then, Mortensen reported, college scouting director John Spanos likely would become the director of player personnel.

These moves all sound plausible as it appears major change is on the horizon in San Diego.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a decent middle ground between firing the entire staff and keeping them. If the next GM was hired from within he would likely keep the 3-4 with Pagano as DC and that's something I feel is important.
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
ESPNís Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday morning that San Diego general manager A.J. Smith and Norv Turnerís futures are likely connected.

Thus, there very well could be wholesale changes after the season. Both men were given a reprieve last year. That likely wonít happen this year, barring a major turnaround.

Mortensen reported a likely replacement for Smith would be San Diego director of player personnel Jimmy Raye. Then, Mortensen reported, college scouting director John Spanos likely would become the director of player personnel.

These moves all sound plausible as it appears major change is on the horizon in San Diego.

This is likely how far Dean would go, he is too damn conservative to look outside the organization.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000103804/article/chip-kelly-top-name-on-list-of-nfl-coaching-candidates

Quote:
NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi broke down the expected coaching changes in Philadelphia and San Diego on "NFL GameDay Morning." One name was at the top of both lists: Chip Kelly

Before firing season begins, Daniel Jeremiah ranks the most attractive potential coaching vacancies around the NFL. More ... "He's the prettiest girl in the school," Lombardi said Sunday. "Everyone is going after Chip Kelly because of what he brings uniquely offensively."

NFL teams with a vacancy are expected to make a heavy push for the University of Oregon coach. Many believe this is the year Kelly will jump to the NFL

Sig bet
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way Spanos will spend for Kelly.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
No way Spanos will spend for Kelly.

Only way I can see Dean prying Chip away from Phil Knight is if Dean truly is trying to engineer a move to LA. Nike has the NFL contract now, so getting a Nike darling coach like Kelly potentially into a massive market like LA would be major earning potential for Knight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: