Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Observations from the Colts Game
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Observations from the Colts Game Reply with quote

Offense:

1. Once again our lack of killer instinct hurt us big time. I haven't been a big Linehan fan at all this season but his conservative/prevent offense play calling in the fourth quarter prevented us from getting a badly needed win.

2. Brandon Pettigrew's hands can't be trusted on anything more than 15 yards. His drop near the goal-line was inexcusable.

3. Stafford played a great game but still flashed a lack of timing with his receivers. How can that still be happening 12 games into the season?

4. Our o-line did a great job in pass protection but we have to be able to run the ball to finish out games. Late in the fourth quarter we were one first down away from securing the win and we couldn't run the ball effectively enough to get it. The o-line needs some serious work in the off-season

5. Losing Ryan Broyles could really hurt us this year and next year.

6. How many drops are we going to have before we start firing coaches? I really hate seeing these drops. At this point, I think both Shawn Jefferson and Scott Linehan should be let go in the off-season.

7. I know Leshoure was a 2d round pick put Joique Bell needs to get more snaps. He is a better receiver and a better north-south runner. He has a knack for making a big play at the right time.

Defense

1. Suh and Fairley had really good games. The one exception would be Fairley's horse collar penalty. Stupid penalty at a really bad time.

2. We continue to be hurt by the marginal play of our DEs. Did anyone else see Cliff Avril just run into Andrew luck and not even try to get his arms around him late in the game? Considering how much attention our DTs get, one of our DEs' should be disruptive on a regular basis.

3. It is a good thing Coby Fleener got hurt because we couldn't cover TEs very well today.

4. We might need to upgrade the safety position in both free agency and the draft. Everyone besides Delmas is would be a nickel/dime package safety on any other team and Delmas can't stay healthy enough to counted on as a part of the long-term solution at that position.

5. Just like the offense, the defensive line and linebackers couldn't make a play late in the game. Were they gassed or were they playing to much of a prevent defense?

6. Jacob Lacy makes as many dumb plays as he does good plays. Now that we are definitely out of the playoffs give Jonte Green more snaps. At least he has the potential to get better.

This was another frustrating loss. It showed that we have glaring needs S, DE and G/C. Our LBs are solid but it would be nice if we had someone that was a playmaker at that position also. From here on out, I hope that they start giving more snaps to our younger players (Riley Reiff, Jonte Green, Tahir Whitehead, Travis Lewis, Ronnel Lewis, Sammie Hill and maybe even a practice squad person). Its not like we are getting stellar results from our veterans.

With the salary cap constraints we have because of Suh and Stafford's rookie deals this could be a very tough off-season. I think this is where we find out just how good Martin Mayhew really is as a general manager.

What did you guys see?
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunther needs to retire. The game has passed him by.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
Gunther needs to retire. The game has passed him by.

Gunther is not the problem.

Its OC and DBs

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Observations from the Colts Game Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
Offense:

3. Stafford played a great game but still flashed a lack of timing with his receivers. How can that still be happening 12 games into the season?

What did you guys see?

I see a correlation.

Team Stylish
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we need a new offensive staff. We put up great numbers so far it isn't an offense we can consistently win with. We definitely need some position coach changes. Shawn Jefferson needs to go. I think we should also consider finding another d-line coach. How can we coach our guys to not get their hands up if they know that they won't be able to get a sack? At least we batted one pass down today. I don't think Gunther Cunningham needs to be replaced though.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Observations from the Colts Game Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:
Offense:

What did you guys see?

I see a correlation.
Did you even watch the game?
bigez2011

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Observations from the Colts Game Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
Offense:

1. Once again our lack of killer instinct hurt us big time. I haven't been a big Linehan fan at all this season but his conservative/prevent offense play calling in the fourth quarter prevented us from getting a badly needed win.

2. Brandon Pettigrew's hands can't be trusted on anything more than 15 yards. His drop near the goal-line was inexcusable.

4. Our o-line did a great job in pass protection but we have to be able to run the ball to finish out games. Late in the fourth quarter we were one first down away from securing the win and we couldn't run the ball effectively enough to get it. The o-line needs some serious work in the off-season

6. How many drops are we going to have before we start firing coaches? I really hate seeing these drops. At this point, I think both Shawn Jefferson and Scott Linehan should be let go in the off-season.

7. I know Leshoure was a 2d round pick put Joique Bell needs to get more snaps. He is a better receiver and a better north-south runner. He has a knack for making a big play at the right time.

Defense

1. Suh and Fairley had really good games. The one exception would be Fairley's horse collar penalty. Stupid penalty at a really bad time.

2. We continue to be hurt by the marginal play of our DEs. Did anyone else see Cliff Avril just run into Andrew luck and not even try to get his arms around him late in the game? Considering how much attention our DTs get, one of our DEs' should be disruptive on a regular basis.

3. It is a good thing Coby Fleener got hurt because we couldn't cover TEs very well today.

4. We might need to upgrade the safety position in both free agency and the draft. Everyone besides Delmas is would be a nickel/dime package safety on any other team and Delmas can't stay healthy enough to counted on as a part of the long-term solution at that position.

5. Just like the offense, the defensive line and linebackers couldn't make a play late in the game. Were they gassed or were they playing to much of a prevent defense?

6. Jacob Lacy makes as many dumb plays as he does good plays. Now that we are definitely out of the playoffs give Jonte Green more snaps. At least he has the potential to get better.

This was another frustrating loss. It showed that we have glaring needs S, DE and G/C. Our LBs are solid but it would be nice if we had someone that was a playmaker at that position also. From here on out, I hope that they start giving more snaps to our younger players (Riley Reiff, Jonte Green, Tahir Whitehead, Travis Lewis, Ronnel Lewis, Sammie Hill and maybe even a practice squad person). Its not like we are getting stellar results from our veterans.

With the salary cap constraints we have because of Suh and Stafford's rookie deals this could be a very tough off-season. I think this is where we find out just how good Martin Mayhew really is as a general manager.

What did you guys see?

Why did the lions start running toss sweeps at the end of the game. They have run the ball mostly between the tackles ALL YEAR and then they decide to use Bell and Leshoure's speed?? C'Mon Man
qball8001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Observations from the Colts Game Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:
Offense:

What did you guys see?

I see a correlation.

We lost Nate Burleson, Titus Young has been a massive disappointment, Ryan Broyles has only played a handful of games, and is not hurt. Mike Thomas is brand new and trying to learn the system.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Observations from the Colts Game Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WillParks wrote:
Offense:

What did you guys see?

I see a correlation.

Wait... Burleson and Young played?

To answer your question (although it has no bearing on my point): no, I didn't watch the game. I worked late last night, had a 4:00-12:30 shift this morning, came home, did homework, ran, took a nap, and am now working out. I don't have cable, and I don't care all that much about football right now.

But that doesn't mean that I'm wrong with my point above.

Team Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: Not the players, they're perfect. Fire everyone... except the players

Solution: none, just do it on the fly with Sexy Rexy
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:

Why is Rex Ryan sought after at all? Does no one watch what goes on in New York? That is even worse of a circus.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Why is Rex Ryan sought after at all? Does no one watch what goes on in New York? That is even worse of a circus.

Because he'd invest draft picks into the defense. And that's what matters.

Team Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I was being sarcastic. I hate Rex Ryan, he is a joke of a coach who took a contender and turned them into...well...the Lions.

R.I.P. Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? Let's get Andy Reid! That guy is DA BEST EVA!!!

R.I.P. Stylish
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think there need to be some player changes in addition to some coaching staff changes. Brandon Pettigrew needs to go. We can't have one of our primary offensive weapons make so many crucial mistakes. I honestly think that we should, if at all possible replace Raiola and Peterman if we can. Cherilous is pretty pedestrian also. Personally considering how heavy his feet seem to be maybe he would be a better G. He is imminently replaceable though. We have to get one or maybe even two starting safeties. Spivey isn't working out due to injury and inconsistent play. Delmas can't stay healthy. Silva and Cary are good 3rd/back-up safeties. Avril hasn't been a consistent playmaker and needs to go. Jackson hasn't produced much in his back-up role either. Vandenbosche doesn't have much left in the tank and isn't worth the $9 million salary he is going to get. Our LBs all play the run pretty well but as I mentioned before there are no real playmakers in this group. Martin Mayhew will be pretty busy during this off-season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: