Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Monte Kiffin to resign from USC, pursue NFL opportunities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
floppyflaps wrote:
The Bucs defense was still good when he left Tampa, it was the main reason that they won the divison in 2007, and had a chance to win the division/make the playoffs in 2008. It was only bad in the last 4 games after he announced that he was leaving.

Just like some good college coaches can't succeed in the NFL, some NFL coaches can't succeed in college. It's a different game and different kind of coaching involved.

You don't get 10+ years of a top 10 defense by being a bad defensive coordinator. He didn't even use the Tampa 2 that much during the last few years that he was in the NFL. He didn't have that much talent left either on those teams. None of those players are still starting in the NFL other than Ronde Barber.

Honestly I think that Kiffin can come back and be a top defensive coordinator in this league.

Seriously, his defense was a consistent top-10 defense until those last 4 games in 2008 when he and every player knew he was leaving. And the college game is much different than the NFL game. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bucs take him back.

You do realize he had potentially 3 HOF players and without a doubt two (Sapp/Brooks) while coaching those TB defenses right? I'm not kocking what he did as a DC but lets not act like he was coaching a bunch of scrubs either.

None of them were All-Pros or Hall of Famers when Kiffin installed the Tampa two. In fact all of them had pretty major question marks. Brooks was way too small, Sapp was a head-case, Lynch was a reckless head-hunter, Ronde was way too small and way too slow. Never doubt the effect Monte had on that defense and on defenses around the league. Also, a lot of players from that team will flat out tell you that towards the tail-end of the glory years when Gruden was trying his darndest to rip that locker room apart Monte was the only thing that kept it together.

My additions weren't disputing his talent, I'm just a big fan of that 02 Bucs defense.
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post Tampa's defensive rankings under Kiffin before and after Dungy?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
Can someone post Tampa's defensive rankings under Kiffin before and after Dungy?

There is no before, but here is after up until he left in 2008.

1/4/10/8/21/3/10
justo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks he joins up with Gruden
sayheykid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:

I keep seeing this posted, not sure exactly why. For anyone who doesn't know, Monte legitimately sincerely despises Jon Gruden.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
justo wrote:

I keep seeing this posted, not sure exactly why. For anyone who doesn't know, Monte legitimately sincerely despises Jon Gruden.

I guess it's just a regurgitated idea that I have accepted. What's the deal with that? Didn't they coach together forever?
sayheykid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
sayheykid wrote:
justo wrote:

I guess it's just a regurgitated idea that I have accepted. What's the deal with that? Didn't they coach together forever?

Gruden inherited Monte from the Dungy era and knew better than to mess with a good thing. It started out fairly well, but deteriorated quickly much like it did with the locker room. Monte was extremely loyal to the organization, community and his guys. There were some huge issues with personnel decisions on defense once Gruden was able to get Allen into the front office, some draft day backstabbing and it got pretty ugly towards the end from what many have said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: