Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The One(s) That Got Away
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
Not to deviate away from the topic, but this is the problem when you have coaching/regime change after regime change. A new coach/gm comes in and wants his own guys. So he churns the roster and you have these guys end up leaving. Very talented, just not a great fit for the new coach.

I want a coach that come in and put some things in place, but also realize that he has talented players on the current roster and find a way to make it work.

Thats the biggest problem I have with letting GM Ireland go. A new guy comes in and wants a new coach, maybe, and they want a new offense instead of the West Coast. There goes another 2 drafts where we are talking about guys that have alot of talent but were cut loose.

I say we stick with the plan for at least another 2 years to get Philbin/Ireland the ingredients. And just deal with the growing pains. The drafts so far by Ireland have been pretty good. We just need to let things simmer before we can get the full flavor.

The way to fix what's broken in Miami is to look at what we've been doing and to put it bluntly--stop doing it!

If I could, I'd hand Joe Philbin a 10-yr deal simply on the basis that it's exactly the type of move we haven't made over the last decade. What we need is the same HC & QB to remain in place for 5-to-10 years without being questioned.

If we as fans do anything wrong, it's simply our overly analytical approach to every move. No team is perfect and no teams can present a history of draft picks or free agency moves that isn't without some gaudy mistakes; there are always high picks that bust or big moves that don't work out.

Welcome to management, that's how it goes. You don't have to be perfect, you only need to be as good as your competitors who are often out there making the same types of mistakes.

However, good teams don't compound their mistakes by frantically trying to hide or to erase them. Good teams hire coaches with reliable resumes that remain in place for a decade or more. Part of that is finding the right people, the other part is patience. Look around the league at teams who've been consistent and you'll find coaches who've either been there for nearly a decade or guys who we'll be talking about for a long time: Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, Gary Kubiak, etc.

It's also safe to presume that Sean Peyton, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy, Jim Harbaugh and Mike Smith will also remain in place for a long time.

You cannot survive without good coaches in this league. We've hired coaches who have mostly hurt this franchise, however we've had chances as well. For once, it looks like we might have something we can sustain in Ireland & Philbin. For that, I rejoice and celebrate what little successes come from a season like we're having.

It's no longer about what we don't have (the topic of this thread), it's about what we do now have: a better HC, a better QB and a better offensive system.

Your standards are too high if you can't get behind those guys, I say. I just pray that we make managerial moves that take us forward and not backwards. Keep Ireland, keep Philbin, ditch the Free Agents we don't need and draft the guys we do. There's nothing to be gained by continuing to overhaul essential positions as we've done for so long now.

We had Cam Cameron for 1 year. I was an idiot to to say he should've been fired. I'll admit my mistake. He had a terrible team and lost a ton of players to injury and displayed no ability to rally what I mistook for a decent squad. I was wrong about the coach and the squad. The coach was fine, the squad was garbage. If we gave him 5 years it would have been enough to judge him (and we would've been no worse off had it failed) but sadly we didn't.

Ironically we did give Cameron's successor ample time, but he wound up being terrible while Cameron went on to another team that is on it's way to a division title with a young QB.

Woops.
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's quit pretending like Tannehill was Ireland's idea. There are a number of reasons why Tannehill is here and Ireland is the least among them.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealMetalFan wrote:
Let's quit pretending like Tannehill was Ireland's idea. There are a number of reasons why Tannehill is here and Ireland is the least among them.

What amazes me is how intelligent people refuse to admit that these types of decisions are not made on a whim by a single individual but rather by a half-dozen people over the course of a 6-month period with input from many, many others as well.

The reality is, Tannehill's presence in Miami probably goes back to whenever doubt started to creep in about Henne which was about 2 years ago. Sherman was his coach, so he probably had say. Sherman and Philbin are best buds so Philbin was probably on board. Ross is interested in business and thus he liked the excitement of the pick. Ireland...who knows? He's a talent scout. The simple fact is, we'll never be privy to what he's reading and what he believes. He has to sign off on the pick though, so ultimately since it's under his watch, it's his pick.

The likeliest answer is that it was a collective decision which the majority of the management and coaches believed was the right move.

When someone wants to build up Philbin, they use Tannehill's poise as a positive. When someone wants to knock Ireland they cite Tannehill as a "reach."

None of it really matters except to the ego of who's talking.

I could just as easily say that Philbin was no help in deciding what QB we needed and it was Ireland's grace that at least got us someone capable of starting thanks to a large investment.

Dude, it's all made up either way. Nobody was in the room and no one here has any sources.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the players mentioned so far, Rob Ninkovitch is the one that burns me the most. He's made some pretty impactfull plays for the Pats and has a nack of being in the right place at the right time.

I didn't realize Marcel Reece was a Fin either.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Of all the players mentioned so far, Rob Ninkovitch is the one that burns me the most. He's made some pretty impactfull plays for the Pats and has a nack of being in the right place at the right time.

I didn't realize Marcel Reece was a Fin either.
Ninkovich for Cam Wake straight up? Wink

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Which is a big reason he as many fumble recoveries (4) as 8 NFL teams, including the Phins (3).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: