Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Devin McCourty's Positional Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sign myself up for a two year stint with some Ed Reed. Throw him some money and take the deal year to year. Obviously he would be a beast the first year and if he would wanna retire so be it.

I think a two year top dollar type deal would be good for both parties.

Reed-McCourty with Talib and someone else at CB. Rookie or vet don't care has to be someone thats not trash coughcoughcoughDowlingcoughcough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
I would sign myself up for a two year stint with some Ed Reed. Throw him some money and take the deal year to year. Obviously he would be a beast the first year and if he would wanna retire so be it.

Reed-McCourty with Talib and someone else at CB. Rookie or vet don't care has to be someone thats not trash coughcoughcoughDowlingcoughcough

What has Dowling done to make you think he's "trash"?
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty until proven innocent.
But it's tough to expect anything out of the guy when he's barely gotten on the field in the handful of games for which he's actually been healthy.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Sciz wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
By my count there are currently only 7 teams in the NFL with safety tandems where both starters are above average [8 if you count the Steelers].

That is a sad state of affairs.
I'm surprised there are that many. Which 7?

Texans [Manning/Quin]
Seahawks [Chancellor/Thomas]
Falcons [Moore/DeCoud]
Giants [Brown/Phillips]
Ravens [Reed/Pollard]
Cardinals [Wilson/Rhodes]
49ers [Whitner/Goldson]

If the Bills can't extend Byrd [and if they choose not to franchise tag him], the Pats ought to just drive a dumptruck full of money up to his house.

Not sure I'd consider Manning/Quin to be a particularly good pair, but I'd agree they're better than most. I'd go as far as to say that Wilson/Byrd from Buffalo is a better pairing. Also, Kenny Phillips has missed more than half the season and is probably on the outs in New York. As you said, it's a sad, sad state of affairs at safety.

4 of those 7 pairings have a guy who is a free agent next year (Goldson, Reed, Moore, Phillips).
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
GoldenboyGB wrote:

How much has he played? How often has he gotten hurt? How many more days must past before I start comparing him to Darius Butler and all the other failed bums?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
GoldenboyGB wrote:

How much has he played? How often has he gotten hurt? How many more days must past before I start comparing him to Darius Butler and all the other failed bums?

He's suffered the same number or fewer injuries in the last 2 years as Logan Mankins, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski. So how often he gets hurt isn't really a point against him.

I just think it's silly when people start assuming injured players are bad players. The guy was good enough to win an opening day starting spot (and looked pretty good in an admittedly tiny sample last year). Assuming he's a "bum" because he's been banged up for 2 years seems a bit extreme at this point.

We know a guy like Chung is mediocre even on the rare occasions that he is fully healthy. We know Chung, when he plays hurt, is a liability. We don't know what Dowling can offer yet and given his high draft status and early promise, I'm still holding out hope that he can be a useful contributor.

If he can't get on the field next year or sucks in camp, fine write him off. But calling him "trash" is IMO unfair at this point. An unknown? Sure. A guy not to be relied upon? Yes. But assuming he's a bad player? I wouldn't go that far.
HOVA333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Moore showing why he's a boss tonight. Great in the run game. So physical

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
terbo559

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think William Moore is a good option here at strong safety considering his age too. Just that Falcons may be looking to re-sign him. Also the safety class this year pretty good, so I expect BB to draft a safety in the mid rounds.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
I really think William Moore is a good option here at strong safety considering his age too. Just that Falcons may be looking to re-sign him. Also the safety class this year pretty good, so I expect BB to draft a safety in the mid rounds.

Ehhhh I'm not sure it's a good safety draft class. There's not much once you get beyond Vaccaro/Lester/McDonald. By the time the 3rd round rolls around, it will be the usual crop of guys who get taken way too highly and end up as journeymen special teamers
TKOhitter8737

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
terbo559 wrote:

Ehhhh I'm not sure it's a good safety draft class. There's not much once you get beyond Vaccaro/Lester/McDonald. By the time the 3rd round rolls around, it will be the usual crop of guys who get taken way too highly and end up as journeymen special teamers

There really hasnt been a good saftey class in while. It's probably has become the hardest position to play now.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKOhitter8737 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
terbo559 wrote:

There really hasnt been a good saftey class in while. It's probably has become the hardest position to play now.

Is it because it's become more difficult to play? Or is it because there's such a premium on CB's and LB's that safeties are getting shifted out of that position in college?

Probably a bit of both

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: