Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Logan Mankins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trivium2009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Logan Mankins Reply with quote

Just wandering what is Logan Mankind trade value? I was thinking we could probably trade him to help free up money. As we are aware of he is still one of the better guards in the NFL but it has been proven by this year that he's expendable. Who or what do you guys think we could get for him? And do you think it would be smart to move him while he still has value?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Logan Mankins Reply with quote

trivium2009 wrote:
Just wandering what is Logan Mankind trade value? I was thinking we could probably trade him to help free up money. As we are aware of he is still one of the better guards in the NFL but it has been proven by this year that he's expendable. Who or what do you guys think we could get for him? And do you think it would be smart to move him while he still has value?

His cap hit would make him just about impossible to trade
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've advocated more than a couple times we should trade him. He's overrated, and other guys can do a 80-90% as good a job as him for 33% of the cost. I really wish we had just traded him instead of paying him a couple years ago. For the money we're paying him, we're not getting nearly enough results. Especially a guy who is always battling some kind of broken bone, tendon issue, or some kind of injury that is preventing him from playing.

With his contract at best we could maybe get a late 2nd. He's a guard. Maybe the Eagles/Cowboys would get desperate and trade for him but I can't see anyone giving a serious offer for him.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
I've advocated more than a couple times we should trade him. He's overrated, and other guys can do a 80-90% as good a job as him for 33% of the cost. I really wish we had just traded him instead of paying him a couple years ago. For the money we're paying him, we're not getting nearly enough results. Especially a guy who is always battling some kind of broken bone, tendon issue, or some kind of injury that is preventing him from playing.

With his contract at best we could maybe get a late 2nd. He's a guard. Maybe the Eagles/Cowboys would get desperate and trade for him but I can't see anyone giving a serious offer for him.

The Pats aren't going to eat $12M of dead cap space just to move Mankins.

With his contract, he's not going anywhere because it's literally cheaper to keep him than trade him.
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I've said from the start that his contract was a disaster. One of the few things I'll say was an outright mistake by the Patriots that they should have known better on.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:

The Pats aren't going to eat $12M of dead cap space just to move Mankins.

With his contract, he's not going anywhere because it's literally cheaper to keep him than trade him.

Honestly, I had written "maybe I'm misremembering from when he was tagged, but there is some reason why he's untradeable" but then deleted.

That would be it.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Sciz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the earliest possible year Mankins won't be a Patriot is in 2015, when the Pats would save $7M by cutting him. He'll be 33, hence them cutting him rather than trading him.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
I think the earliest possible year Mankins won't be a Patriot is in 2015, when the Pats would save $7M by cutting him. He'll be 33, hence them cutting him rather than trading him.

If his injuries continue and he declines, it would be possible (though unlikely) to get rid of him in 2014. The cap savings would be fairly minimal though ($2M) so they'd probably just keep him and get rid of him in 2015 as you said.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
This is why I've said from the start that his contract was a disaster. One of the few things I'll say was an outright mistake by the Patriots that they should have known better on.

I agree for the most part, but no-one could really have known that Wendell-Thomas-Connolly were going to be any good at all. Coming through the pre-season maulings that line took this year, re-signing Mankins looked like a very smart move.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 40 Yards: 558 TDs: 7
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Richter wrote:

I agree for the most part, but no-one could really have known that Wendell-Thomas-Connolly were going to be any good at all. Coming through the pre-season maulings that line took this year, re-signing Mankins looked like a very smart move.

Yeah, but it's not a matter of knowing those guys were going to be useful (and Thomas wasn't even around when Mankins signed), as much as trusting your ability to evaluate and coach young OL.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Richter wrote:

Yeah, but it's not a matter of knowing those guys were going to be useful (and Thomas wasn't even around when Mankins signed), as much as trusting your ability to evaluate and coach young OL.

And if Brady was 28 and they were at the beginning of a good run I'd completely agree: get younger and groom some OL guys. But Brady's 36, with a propensity for getting dinged late in the season. The success of the team the last few (and probably the next few) years is entirely determined by whether or not Tom Brady is upright.

The money was too much, and as yet he hasn't lived up to it, but I completely understand going with a known commodity over an unknown one when you're in a win now mode.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Richter wrote:

And if Brady was 28 and they were at the beginning of a good run I'd completely agree: get younger and groom some OL guys. But Brady's 36, with a propensity for getting dinged late in the season. The success of the team the last few (and probably the next few) years is entirely determined by whether or not Tom Brady is upright.

The money was too much, and as yet he hasn't lived up to it, but I completely understand going with a known commodity over an unknown one when you're in a win now mode.

Not sure how much Belichick and company believe in doing things to "win now"

After all, this is the same guy who traded his best (or 2nd best) defensive player right before the 2009 season and didn't replace him and the same guy who is presiding over the youngest roster he has ever coached. A guy who really believed in "win now" would be doing everything he could to add veteran talent to the team, not young guys who take years to groom and develop.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
Richter wrote:

Not sure how much Belichick and company believe in doing things to "win now"

After all, this is the same guy who traded his best (or 2nd best) defensive player right before the 2009 season and didn't replace him and the same guy who is presiding over the youngest roster he has ever coached. A guy who really believed in "win now" would be doing everything he could to add veteran talent to the team, not young guys who take years to groom and develop.

Win now was hyperbole on my part, I just meant Brady doesn't have many years left and you have to milk all the football out of the elite QB's teat as you can. That means, perhaps, risking overpaying for OLs to make sure he's not injured.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: