Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Honey Badger Declares for the 2013 Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceofflax15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying he's Janoris Jenkins, but the kids has serious football talent. I'd buy the argument that he is just another stud athlete with little football skill if he hadn't been so dominate at football, in the SEC, playing better than his partner in crime, first round pick, Morris Clairborne.

If you want this team to turn around quickly, and assure our longevity, we need to ignore his minor character flaws. So what the kid likes to use marijuana? Is that really such a crime? Why is his vice any worse than yours? He couldn't keep using weed so he turned to K2, thinking it would pass a drug test(s). And he was wrong.

For some reason, people like to think that once these star players get tot he NFL, their off-field issues are uncontrollable; even though we view them as controllable up until that level. St. Louis took an old-school approach to Jenkins breaking a team rule. They benched him and made him run stadium stairs before the game. He had two pick-6s the next game. I'm not saying this is the exact same circumstances, but I'm not going to overlook this kid's play-making ability because of his personal vice.

I do think Honey Badger would have enormous trouble against big WRs like CJ, Nelson and Marshall though. But in my opinion, he could end up being the best slot corner in the league.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does he have this dumb nickname...?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PaulWall_23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Couldn't agree more with the above assessment. Everyone is really going to dismiss the fact that the SEC is essentially minor league NFL and last year he was arguably theee best playmaker in the conference?

A year off could have really given him sometime to reflect as an individual and turn the corner as a person. I think he has a pretty good foundation with parents as they wanted him originally to return to LSU just to finish degree (could be wrong)?

I'd draft this kid in a heart beat, love getting deals on players with high ceilings because of past trangressions. Every situation is different, he obviously isn't Randy Moss or Percy Harvin but if we can get a player of this caliber in the 2nd-3rd round I really think its a no brainer.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
why does he have this dumb nickname...?

"Mathieu earned the nickname "The Honey Badger" for his tenacious ability to play extremely tough football against much larger opponents, as well as his knack for making big plays."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrann_Mathieu
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly did he do?

I haven't followed him since the last time he played.

down but not out. I still believe!
PaulWall_23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think everyone's vastly overrating the opportunity of getting a true difference maker in this year's draft. This is a verrryyyy down year.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to his being kicked off the team, the kid was projected as a Heisman candidate in the mold of Patrick Peterson.

Since he didn't get to play, no one knows whether he would've helped LSU become a National Champion or not --- but he did prove, at ages 19 and 20 that he was a premier CB in the SEC, if not the country.

Is he a Pacman Jones type of kid? Probably not, and I tend to believe Les Miles sent him a hard message, so if he's kept his head on straight and worked hard, he'll prove his skills at the pro-day workouts . . . maybe even the combine, if he gets invited.

Teams will scour him, try to demoralize him and see how he reacts. If they like what they see, he may be no different than Dez Bryant a few years ago . . . draftwise. The kid might go late 1st round, never know.

However, if he proves a lot and he's available in the 3rd (after the Vikes have addressed WR, OG and DT), I think even moving up to get him could be a great move ... Although Cook seems to be an injury in waiting, no denying the D is better with him. Add in Jefferson, Robinson and a wily vet, the badger could really enhance the CB set up on the Vikes roster.

All things considered though, I still think the Vikes need another 6'2-ish CB with an nasty demeanor (on the field, of course) Wink
wcblack34

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got kicked off the team, announced his intentions to return to LSU, then got busted again a few weeks later. He is a head case and has done nothing to dispel that notion over the last year.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
Prior to his being kicked off the team, the kid was projected as a Heisman candidate in the mold of Patrick Peterson.

Ryan Leaf was in the running for the Heisman too. and he didn't even get kicked off his team first.

pass.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: