Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FF Front Page Mock
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I'd prefer T.J. McDonald or Eric Reid the Steelers have enough NT prospects on the roster lets try one of them out.

Who?

And just to add...I like your two picks as well....but we dont have a single reliable NT prospect. Ta'amu is gone...McClendon is a career backup....and while Ziggy Hood has potential at NT, they have shown no real interest in moving him there.

So at this point, NT is a huge need.

McClendon is a career backup because the Steelers aren't willing to let C. Hampton go.

No...he is a career backup because he isnt a starting caliber NT and the Steelers know it. Thats why they kept Hampton and drafted Ta'amu. If they liked him that much, we would see alot more of him.

I see this as the typical Steelers backup player scenario. The Steelers have had players sit the bench for years even though they were better or younger option to there predecessor.

McClendon was talked up so much this off-season, by J. Mitchell who I think is the asst HC. Ta'amu is on the practice squad and I think he'll be added back to the roster next season if he's not incarcerated. The Steelers have options more then they have at FS/SS even with the current play of W. Allen.

I'm still holding out hope for Golden as I think he's got the big "P" word.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClendon isn't a NT at all, he's a DE. He almost never takes the NT role now. Ziggy is the NT on nickel snaps and he's far more effective at it than McClendon. Neither Ziggy nor McClendon can hold the point, but Ziggy is far more explosive.

To be quite honest, I would like to see McClendon play some RDE. If we let Ziggy get upfield from the 1T position or even from a straight up 0, and just say "Ziggy, ball gets snapped, you attack, low man wins", he will draw a double team. Happens surprisingly often out of the nickel. He can't do squat from outside at LDE, but at NT, he's surprisingly effective, far moreso than McClendon

I could see McClendon doing well in Keisel's role, and Heyward going to LDE, where he proved to me that he has exactly what it takes to succeed there.

John Mitchell is the defensive line coach.

I definitely like Golden, but boy Amerson is an attractive convert prospect to me.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

I definitely like Golden, but boy Amerson is an attractive convert prospect to me.

Because he's not a good corner?

...you have a forum resume?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keth, I can't say either way if McClendon is a good DE or not. But from the few games I've watched in the base defense he's gotten past the double team and made a play. Now I don't know what his responsibilities consisted of by I believe he's a quality NT.

But you could be right and Ziggy hood is a potential or viable replacement. But the sub package NT stuff has been around since A. Smith, so I don't take that position in the defense two seriously.

I believe Z. Hood is getting better every year. Fans don't like it because he hasn't made the huge jump like A. Smith did we he began to start. I've always viewed Z. Hood as Brett Kiesel in ability. It wasn't till just recently that fans warmed up to him either. It was only a few years ago that fans where using QB pressures to justify B. Kiesel play.

I'd at least like them to try Ta'amu before they go out and try to find Casey Hamptons replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that impressed with Jenkins. In this position, the Steelers trade back and get Jesse Williams plus and extra 3rd and 4th rounder. Williams is a much better fit for them at NT.

If they picked higher and would stay there I would go with Johnathan Hankins at NT but he will go in the 15-20 range.

Dline is absurdly deep in this draft.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I'm not that impressed with Jenkins. In this position, the Steelers trade back and get Jesse Williams plus and extra 3rd and 4th rounder. Williams is a much better fit for them at NT.

If they picked higher and would stay there I would go with Johnathan Hankins at NT but he will go in the 15-20 range.

Dline is absurdly deep in this draft.

At the start of the year I was higher on Jenkins than Hankins. For me I haven't seen the advancement in Jenkins game from his junior to senior year. Late 1st early 2nd type.

I have come to like Hankins ability better than I did last year and see him as a top 15-20 type.

After revisiting my notes from his junior year, concentrating more on him during my brief review of the several Bama games I've got I have Williams at the top of my DT board because he offers the most disruption coupled with the ability to sustain. My only real concern is that he has a "light" lower half for his frame and/or comparatively to others. Perhaps thats what allows for his quickness. By the time its all said and done I don't believe we will have a chance to get Williams. It also would seem that the combine should be very fruitful for him.

Hankins possible, Jenkins should be available but doesn't excite me.

Star should drop a little on boards, at least from top 3 consideration to just around top 10, keeping him up there is the fact that there are few if any clear cut elite players this year. He has slightly underwhelmed this year and like Jenkins you look for improvement or answers to questions jr to sr year. He has an on/off motor, when its on he can be unstoppable but it doesn't show up all the time. That being said he s very athletic and has good strength and he faces many double and on occasion triple teams but he does play on a very good defensive front. Utah's entire rotation can cause disruption, they could stand for improvement at the LB and secondary positions but there is help along that line with the Kruger and others.

A guy that receives little accolades on the best defensive front in the country is #99 DT-Terrence Stephens- Stanford. He may not be the big bull that these guys are but he does a very good job and has for his entire time at Stanford.

jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star is doubled on nearly every play and still is a force. His only problem will be that he is much more of a NT than a UT. He is a 4-3 player. It would be a huge waste to make him a 3-4 NT.

The reason that Williams will fall to the late 20's is that he is not a pass rusher and very few other teams look for a NT that is purely a space eater. Williams is the next Casey Hampton. He has the strength and the frame and the mentality. If they want to replace Hampton, the best player I have seen in years is Jesse Williams.

If you want someone who can be a space eater and rush the passer than it is Hankins.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Star is doubled on nearly every play and still is a force. His only problem will be that he is much more of a NT than a UT. He is a 4-3 player. It would be a huge waste to make him a 3-4 NT.

The reason that Williams will fall to the late 20's is that he is not a pass rusher and very few other teams look for a NT that is purely a space eater. Williams is the next Casey Hampton. He has the strength and the frame and the mentality. If they want to replace Hampton, the best player I have seen in years is Jesse Williams.

If you want someone who can be a space eater and rush the passer than it is Hankins.

Star is doubled but not always.That being said what great DT isnt expected to beat it, he hasn't often enough for an "elite" DT, or should I say improved on it as you would like to have seen. Both Krugers should/will play on an NFL team.

I think Williams is a better capable/pocket disruptor pass rusher than giving credit for. Hampton was very good at pressuring the QB in college.

Hankins has developed better ability to pressure the pocket, but it helps quite a bit when you have a motor like Simon coming from all ends.

kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

size, ball skills, and because he can cover, just not cover like a CB needs to. I see him best when he is watching the QB, but he bites on play fakes. Maturity and training.

I'm looking at natural ability. I have faith in Carnell Lake.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

size, ball skills, and because he can cover, just not cover like a CB needs to. I see him best when he is watching the QB, but he bites on play fakes. Maturity and training.

I'm looking at natural ability. I have faith in Carnell Lake.

Not to mention that he's allergic to tackling. He's probably one of the most overrated players in the country. I haven't seen a prospect of any kind get beat as much as he has this year especially. Ive seen guys that have no chance to make it get beat that much but not a prospect. The tackling, or lack there of, is what is unlikely for him to garner any interest from the Steelers. Although I will say Keenan Lewis was no tackling machine at Oregon State, but it was more like he wasn't proactive about where Amerson just doesnt tackle well.

kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well doggone. looks like I gotta make more of an effort to check him out this season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: