Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What is needed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiD_Wisdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: What is needed? Reply with quote

Besides the obvious answers like talent, especially on defense, or a new OC or a good draft; what I think the Raiders need is a new Identity.

When i think about it we dont reallyhave one. We used to have em, like the the team that always had the most penalty yards, the team that had a top 5 running attack, even last year we had the "explosive offense" but we really dont have any of thoes any more. With the penaltys getting cleaned up(for the most part) we are now just a team that doesnt play well and really have no identity.

Teams that are constantly winning all have an identity:

the giants- a team with a great defense and can flip the switch
patriots- an offense powerhouse that builds through the draft
49er- lockdown defense and can rely on the running game
texans- can gt pressure on the qb and a well balanced offense

even teams that arent winnig have identites like

chargers- all the talent but cant win the important games
browns- up and comming talent that need to learn how to win

So the Raiders need to find that identity. Wether we get back to being the dominate ground game we used to have or the team with the explosive offense again. and the draft will be very important to finding our identity.

If we go Te'o we can try to become the team with a lot of heart and really stand strong in the redzone(like ND).

If we draft Star then we can try to become a great run stopping team that teams get like no yards up the middle.

If we go Moore or Jones try to become a team know for always pressuring and hitting the qb.

Maybe we focus on the lines and become a team that can win the tough battles in the trenches. Either way the team has to start to build an identity. I know its not gunna happen with one player but with who we draft and pick up as free agents and who we relase we start to build that identity soon.

Personally id like to get back to the dominate run game. I dont know if that can happen with our personal, but with us getting our future QB in a couple years, the dominate ground game would greatly help what ever qb we do have. With who we draft on defense id be fine with any of thoes identities but im not sure who id like us to take, id rather wait till i know where we are drafting to decided who id rather have but im kinda leaning towards Te'o partialy cuz i think we can still win 3 games.

Whats the identity you'd like the Raiders to take on?
NickButera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought. I think it's going to be dictated by McKenzie and Allen more so than the players we draft. Just have to wait until next season to start to get a feel for the type of players/team they are trying to put together.

I like that Allen stresses discipline and accountability, and that McKenzie backs him up by making the proper personnel moves throughout the year. Should be fun to watch the kind of talent they bring in.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
KiD_Wisdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i completly agree that Allen and McKenzie are the poeple who creat our future identity as they have already worked on the discepline issues. And as you said McKenzie is getting people off the team who dont fit with the direction we are going ie Mclain, Curry, Lee. So to see what they want by who they draft will be very telling on where we will be headed from here on out.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll try to head towards a smart, disciplined type of personality. Not unlike, Green Bay or New England in that way. Hope that doesn't mean Te'o

#FreeAgent
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think of the 'new' Raiders as a team with an intimidating defence. I think there is nothing more psychologically difficult for an opposition team than going to play in a city where you know they're coming at you from the off, not going to take a step back, looking to physically hurt you like the great Raiders teams of the 70s and 80s.

Not to be confused with an indisciplined team that gives personal foul penalties away like they're going out of fashion. In reality with the way the current NFL is it's very difficult to play hard, aggressive defence without being penalised out of the game....... Crying or Very sad
bitty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRIDE
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
I'd like to think of the 'new' Raiders as a team with an intimidating defence. I think there is nothing more psychologically difficult for an opposition team than going to play in a city where you know they're coming at you from the off, not going to take a step back, looking to physically hurt you like the great Raiders teams of the 70s and 80s.

Not to be confused with an indisciplined team that gives personal foul penalties away like they're going out of fashion. In reality with the way the current NFL is it's very difficult to play hard, aggressive defence without being penalised out of the game....... Crying or Very sad

I am afraid the NFL rules committee has slowly made sure intimidating defense is no longer prevalent. Offense is the name of the game, and what they have wanted to cultivate. It makes for better TV for the average retard watching these games and buying jerseys.
Now, if you want to play defense you gotta have some sort of fundamentals and discipline as well as a team effort.

If Allen and McKenzie can build the identity they are trying to as we speak, I think it would work nicely. Tough job though. Discipline, team play, love of football, fundamentals, character.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:

Is Ray Lewis intimidating? One of the least penalized players in the league . . . . Without doing the research I am confident that the majority of intimidating players are able to play within the rules. Expect more.

Wake, JPP, J Watt, justin Smith, Ngata, Bowman, Willis, Tillman, Sherman, Weddle, Ryan Clark, etc ( I got bored and I guess I did a little research).

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Totty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
PRIDE

spot on. along with leadership.

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totty wrote:
bitty wrote:
PRIDE

spot on. along with leadership.

No, Totty. Poise. Pride and Poise.

#FreeAgent
Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Alex Smith help out at all next year? i think he would come a lot cheaper than Carson.

Thanks JTJagg7754

There is good and evil, choose good.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team needs a QB....Until we find one, we will be running around searching for answers.

QBs that have started for Oakland the past 10 years.

Rich Gannon
Marques Tuiasosopo
Rick Mirer
Kerry Collins
Andrew Walter
Aaron Brooks
Josh McCown
JaMarcus Russell
Bruce Gradkowski
Jason Campbell
Carson Palmer

Crying or Very sad
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preacher wrote:
Would Alex Smith help out at all next year? i think he would come a lot cheaper than Carson.

McKenzie would look at Flynn before anything. But we're definitely not trading picks away.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Chali21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A swift kick in the rear.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I think they'll try to head towards a smart, disciplined type of personality. Not unlike, Green Bay or New England in that way. Hope that doesn't mean Te'o

yea i dont know what to expect from fa's to the draft. last year was spotty.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: