Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ronaldo mcclain?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: ronaldo mcclain? Reply with quote

He's being released from the raiders and many probably already know that its because of his troubles off-field. However few things to look at:

He played in a 3-4 defense at alabama, probably is a better 3-4 inside linebacker (mack) than he is as a 4-3 mike.

Relatively young and his athleticism is great.

If no one sign him off waiver, sign him to a minimal contract this way it'll be a kind of high reward, low risk for us.

He's also a good special team player and can plays nickel/passing situation downs.

That's for him being a prospect for us but also looking at our situation: sean spence is out. Slyvester stevenson constantly get hurt and is a career special team player, larry foote who is quietly having a career season is also 32 and free agent next year.

Our roster is somewhat depleted i'd rather if we get a rental player with a pedigree of mcclain for a year, especially in playoff and see what he has to offer.

We have more to gain than lose with mcclain, thoughts?
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think no. The Raiders didn't demote him and then release him because of off field troubles. It was because of on field troubles. Apparently he struggles with grasping some concepts or at least following the plan, they're run D is one of the worst in the league and he struggles in coverage. Rookie Miles Burris has taken over his spot.

I always had concerns about speed and never liked some of his hopping habits. I was reluctant to be a fan of his coming out but not unlike before bought into the Kool Aid by selling myself on his understanding of the game , the leader of Saban's D etc etc.

It would make some sense that he'd be better in a 3-4 ILB role but in this day and age speed and coverage is more vital than size. His lateral speed and shuffle is concerning and as I said he too often hops for my liking.

I'd say he definitely could stand to drop about 10-15 lbs. and it could help.
Id be happy to be wrong but I doubt we take him on at this time of the year. Might be of interest to the Jets...

...you have a forum resume?
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP already has a thread started for Rolando McClain.

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: