Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nzd's Pre-Lambeau Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nzd07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Nzd's Pre-Lambeau Mock Reply with quote

Rest of the Season:

@ GB: L
vs CHI: L
@ STL: W
@ HOU: L
vs GB: L

Vikes finish with an 7-9 record, and pick 13 in the NFL draft.

Offseason Begins:

Players Leaving:

RB Matt Asiata
WR Stephen Burton
WR Michael Jenkins
WR Devin Aromashodu
WR Jerome Simpson
TE John Carlson
OL Joe Berger
OL Mark Asper
LB Marvin Mitchell
LB Tyrone McKenzie
CB Brandon Burton
S Andrew Sendejo

Players Resigning:

FB Jerome Felton -- 3 years
OG Geoff Schwartz -- 1 year
OT Phil Loadholt -- 4 years
DT Kevin Williams -- 3 years
LB Erin Henderson -- 2 years
LB Jasper Brinkley -- 1 year
CB AJ Jefferson -- 3 years
CB Marcus Sherels -- 1 year
S Jamarca Sanford -- 1 year

WR Percy Harvin -- 6 years
DE Jared Allen -- 4 years

Coaching Changes:

--Bill Musgrave is fired. Poor playcalling and a low ranked offense were more than enough to end the Musgrave era.

--Norv Turner is hired. An inviting contract along with the keys to the entire offensive scheme intrigues Turner to land in Minny after a rough ending in San Diego.

Free Agency:

Ramses Barden, WR -- 3 years

Barden is a talented reciever, but when you have to compete with Nicks, Cruz, and Randle, it's going to be hard to recieve any attention. Still, he's a big WR who had a couple of big games when Nicks was injured. It's worth a shot bringing him as he's only 26 and will probably be gotten on the cheap, especially considering the shortage of WR's this team is going to face.

Brandon Myers, TE -- 4 years

Myers is quietly having a nice year in Oakland. He'd be a perfect complement to Kyle Rudolph as he's effective both blocking and catching. Having another big bodied tight end in the red zone will do wonders for this offense as we all know Ponder is always looking for Rudolph near the endzone. Hopefully Meyers can be that second TE threat we thought we were getting in Carlson.

Daryl Smith, OLB -- 2 years

Smith is a savvy veteran who still has some left in the tank. He's 31 and coming off an injury, and I believe the Jaguars pick up Jarvis Jones in the draft and let him walk. Despite the injury, he's never had problems with them before in his career. The addition of Smith will allow us to move Henderson to MLB, where he seems to be more suited.

NFL Draft:

Round 1 -- Jonathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State

Ever since Pat Williams left there's been a noticeable decline in the defense, specifically against the run. Not only is he a monster against the run, his underrated athleticism helps him get into the backfield. Having a beast like Hankins should also help out Kevin Williams, and allow him to make more plays. This guy reminds me a lot of B.J. Raji, heck they even look alike.

Round 2 -- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennesse

Blame Ponder all you want, we still have one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. Harvin is great, but we need a guy who can get downfield consistently and open up the playbook. Patterson, overshadowed by his teammate Justin Hunter, has all the makings of a #1 receiver in the NFL. Good speed, hands, and a 6-3, 205 lb frame has Turner and Spielman licking their chops as he falls to us in the second round.

Round 3 -- Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

Ever since I saw this guy manhandle Florida's Shariff Floyd, I've wanted him in purple. A great run blocker who's intelligent and strong. I always see him finish a DT and then go find a linebacker to block. He's a polished blocker who can come in right away and replace the inept Charlie Johnson.

Round 4 -- Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa

A well developed corner, Hyde is an all around CB who's been a starter for 3 years at Iowa. Our secondary can never seem to stay healthy all year round, so investing in a corner who's well developed and has experience makes sense here.

Round 4 -- Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State

A raw but extremely talented LB, I like Hodges as a developmental OLB. He's a fierce competitor who isn't afraid to make a big hit. He can sit behind veterans Daryl Smith and Chad Greenway as they secure the starting roles. Given a few years to groom, I think this guy is going to be a great OLB in the NFL.

Round 5 -- Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (OH)

If Dysert falls this far I think the Vikings should take a chance on him. If you think our receivers are bad, I can't count how many times I've been watching tape and thinking "an NFL receiver makes that catch." Dysert has good mobility and can throw dimes even on the run. His mechanics need work and he'll definetely need a year or 2 to learn NFL schemes, but I like his upside as an NFL QB.

Round 6 -- Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

Another small schooler, I like Mellette as a late round sleeper. He's got prototypical size and good production, granted it was against weaker programs. 6th rounders rarely make teams anyways, why not take a chance on a small school guy who isn't receiving much attention.

Round 6 -- Cierre Wood, RB, Notre Dame

The draft wouldn't be complete without drafting a golden domer now would it? Wood has a nice build for an RB and does a good job of finding holes. He can also be used as a receiver out of the backfield, and has above average speed. I like him as the 3rd RB as Asiata isn't anything that special and Felton has excelled at FB.

Final Depth Chart:

Green - Rookie
Blue - Free Agent

Offense (24):

QB (3) - Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, Zac Dysert
RB (3) - Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Cierre Wood
FB (1) - Jerome Felton
WR (6) - Percy Harvin, Cordarelle Patterson, Ramses Barden, Jarius Wright, Aaron Mellete, Greg Childs (IR)
TE (3) - Kyle Rudolph, Brandon Myers, Rhett Ellison

LT (1) - Matt Kalil
LG (2) - Larry Warford, Charlie Johnson
C (1) - John Sullivan
RG (2) - Brandon Fusco, Geoff Schwartz
RT (2) - Phil Loadholt, DeMarcus Love

Defense (26):

LE (2) - Brian Robison, De'Aundre Reed
UT (2) - Kevin Williams, Christian Ballard
NT (3) - Jonathan Hankins, Letroy Guion, Fred Evans
RE (2) - Jared Allen, Everson Griffen

WLB (2) - Daryl Smith, Gerald Hodges
MLB (3) - Erin Henderson, Jasper Brinkley, Audie Cole
SLB (2) - Chad Greenway, Larry Dean

LCB (3) - Josh Robinson, Antoine Winfield (NCB), Micah Hyde
FS (2) - Mistral Raymond, Robert Blanton
SS (2) - Harrison Smith, Jamarca Sanford
RCB (3) - Chris Cook, A.J. Jefferson, Marcus Sherels

Special Teams (3):

P (1) - Chris Kluwe
K (1) - Blair Walsh
LS (1) - Cullen Loeffler

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!

Last edited by Nzd07 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think this teaml will take a developmental QB. They really seem to like MBT. If Brandon Myers escapes Oakland he'd be a good signing.
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly convincing myself that the Vikings need to go WR in the 1st round, I would be very cool if this mock happened
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
Swaps

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have the Vikings cutting Jerome Simpson, then signing him to a 2 year deal, then he disappears from the depth chart.

Which is it?

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AQuintus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The rest of the mock is solid enough, but this alone is enough for an F grade from me.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do we or don't we re-sign Jerome Simpson?

If the Vikings replace one starter at LB, I'd expect them to not resign either Henderson or Brinkely (or if they do resign both and in this case my guess would be how they handle Brinkely, it would be a very cheap deal with little to no guaranteed so that they could cut them in preason, but just have them for training camp snap depth).

Nzd07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
So do we or don't we re-sign Jerome Simpson?

If the Vikings replace one starter at LB, I'd expect them to not resign either Henderson or Brinkely (or if they do resign both and in this case my guess would be how they handle Brinkely, it would be a very cheap deal with little to no guaranteed so that they could cut them in preason, but just have them for training camp snap depth).

Yeah sorry about that. I have them cutting Simpson, but I thought about keeping him. He's just too inconsistent for my taste, he looked absolutely terrible against the Bears and hasn't done much besides draw a few long PI's.

As for Brinkley, I think he'll be brought back in case Henderson is even worse. He's a solid backup as he has lots of starting experience.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
Nzd07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
Quote:

The rest of the mock is solid enough, but this alone is enough for an F grade from me.

What makes you think Henderson will be so bad as an MLB? He can't be worse than Brinkley and we can pick up an MLB in next year's draft if he sucks. We could also use this year to try out Cole if Henderson stinks it up.

We have lots of holes and can't fill them all in one offseason.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you picked some ugly looking dudes. Laughing

Like what Smith and Barden could bring to the table.

Don't care much for another project QB, we have plenty of those on the roster. I'd rather go after a punter or another lineman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: