Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Charles Clay finally coming around? And other TE remarks.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which TE trio is best for our offense?
Fasano/Clay/Egnew
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Clay/Egnew/Eifert
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Fasano/Clay/Eifert
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Other (specify)
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
a TE I have been keeping an eye on, and hope the Phins look at is Joseph Fauria from UCLA.. great size 6'7" 258.. Good blocker .. good hands.. in 2011 was ucla's leading receiver with 38 catches 481 yrds.. 6 td.. this year 39 catches.. 544 yrds.. 11 tds.. 13.9 ypc.. in 2010 he had only 3 catches but 2 tds... IMO we need a redzone target..

this yr UCLA has a Fr QB.. he's not bad 3234 yrds 26 tds.. who does this Fr QB look to for a td ? well .... 11 have been to Fauria.. the TE.. he's avg 13.95 yards per catch.. and he's a 3rd projected pick... mis-match 6'7" 258 .. just saying.. check him out

Alright, well...he's an option. I'm not in love, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'd have drafted Egnew before I drafted Fauria. Fauria looks like some of the freakishly-tall guys we've had come in, like Mastrud, that haven't ever really worked.

Fauria looks too light. I mean, if Egnew is having problems, why would Fauria be any different? I think Egnew's highlights displayed more athleticism and speed than what I'm seeing from Fauria, honestly.

Thoughts?
Russ57

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a comment about Bush not being the right player for us. While I don't agree that he runs with zero power I grant you your point.

Now we have to guess what skill set we want from our TE's. Just like Bush, Fasano is also a free agent. Lets start by looking at Egnew since Ireland/Philbin drafted him. I found the following.

Quote:
Quick-handed, natural catcher can stab the ball out of the air. Adjusts well to its flight, tracks it very well in the air and times jumps. Makes difficult catches look easy stretches out and snags the ball. Good field awareness. Can dot the i. Willingly enters traffic and will catch the ball in a crowd. Exceptional straight-line speed. Good competitiveness, work ethic and durability........Was seldom used to block and it clearly showed in Combine blocking drills has no anchor substance or power in his body and is too soft-tempered in his approach on the second level. Is not an elite athlete. Functioned in a simple scheme and is not a savvy route runner will need to learn how to diagnose coverages. Shows little strength or creativity after the catch. Can secure the ball more tightly (stripped twice vs. Kansas State).

So can we draw any conclusions? Assume the above is a fair assement and was known to our staff. Looking over combine numbers and such I come away thinking we wanted a big WR with adequate speed, good hands, and the willingness to go across the middle. Maybe Philbin wants any pass cather to be able to line up anywhere? Maybe he wants the OL to make blocks and only needs the pass catchers to be adequate at going in motion and chipping the backside defender?

Or maybe they just made a terrible mistake and felt they could take a guy who spent his life on the outside, in a spread offense, and turn him into an inline blocking machine capable of beating the press coverage of bigger LB'ers and FS'S/SS's in the nfl?????? Personally I don't buy that. Hopefully the plan is more like breaking the huddle on one play and forcing a CB to cover a 6'5", 250 pound guy who ran a 4.54 forty and leaving the LBer to cover Bess. Reverse that on the next play. If we get him to the point where he can go in motion and make a chop block on the backside DE/OLB on a running play we should have all we need.

He has impressive speed, strength, jumping/leaping, and pass catching ability. His 3 cone numbers would indicate that he has to slow down a lot to make his cuts though.
phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
You made a comment about Bush not being the right player for us. While I don't agree that he runs with zero power I grant you your point.

Now we have to guess what skill set we want from our TE's. Just like Bush, Fasano is also a free agent. Lets start by looking at Egnew since Ireland/Philbin drafted him. I found the following.

Quote:
Quick-handed, natural catcher can stab the ball out of the air. Adjusts well to its flight, tracks it very well in the air and times jumps. Makes difficult catches look easy stretches out and snags the ball. Good field awareness. Can dot the i. Willingly enters traffic and will catch the ball in a crowd. Exceptional straight-line speed. Good competitiveness, work ethic and durability........Was seldom used to block and it clearly showed in Combine blocking drills has no anchor substance or power in his body and is too soft-tempered in his approach on the second level. Is not an elite athlete. Functioned in a simple scheme and is not a savvy route runner will need to learn how to diagnose coverages. Shows little strength or creativity after the catch. Can secure the ball more tightly (stripped twice vs. Kansas State).

So can we draw any conclusions? Assume the above is a fair assement and was known to our staff. Looking over combine numbers and such I come away thinking we wanted a big WR with adequate speed, good hands, and the willingness to go across the middle. Maybe Philbin wants any pass cather to be able to line up anywhere? Maybe he wants the OL to make blocks and only needs the pass catchers to be adequate at going in motion and chipping the backside defender?

Or maybe they just made a terrible mistake and felt they could take a guy who spent his life on the outside, in a spread offense, and turn him into an inline blocking machine capable of beating the press coverage of bigger LB'ers and FS'S/SS's in the nfl?????? Personally I don't buy that. Hopefully the plan is more like breaking the huddle on one play and forcing a CB to cover a 6'5", 250 pound guy who ran a 4.54 forty and leaving the LBer to cover Bess. Reverse that on the next play. If we get him to the point where he can go in motion and make a chop block on the backside DE/OLB on a running play we should have all we need.

He has impressive speed, strength, jumping/leaping, and pass catching ability. His 3 cone numbers would indicate that he has to slow down a lot to make his cuts though.

Sometimes people look at coaches they don't fully trust and when they don't understand a move they assume it's a mistake. That's a trap a lot of fans fall into. If we wanted a TE who could block we wouldn't have picked a guy who never blocked at all in college.

I see this offense as being one that spreads you out, throws a lot of plays at you each game and features the QB spreading the ball around to a variety of guys. I don't think this offense has to feature dominant TEs. I would only go so far as to say they must be able to get open, reliable in catching and available as options in the red zone.

It sounds like the issue with Egnew (and others) is that jumping to the NFL requires not only more strength and physical ability but also a lot more in terms of the mental understanding of the game. If I draft someone who's a physical specimen but doesn't fully understand coverages or route-running, then I'm more apt to lean on the veteran guys. I don't have a fundamental issue with Egnew being on the sidelines if he's learning and developing.

I look at Egnew's college highlights and I see a guy who intrigues me. He's a natural receiving TE and shows more athleticism than several other options I've seen. He lined up in the slot most of the time so I doubt we do anything more with him here. Some of his routes might begin with him as an attached TE but I don't see him as ever being an asset blocking-wise.

We brought in Miller, Egnew & Matthews last year (RB, TE, WR). None of those guys has done anything to show badly. Miller has looked good every chance he's had. Matthews caught a bunch of balls in preseason and Egnew made up for a drop with a fantastic catch up the seem during preseason as well.

I think we just need to be patient with these guys who are clearly assets but need time to learn the system and adjust to the pro game.
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
a TE I have been keeping an eye on, and hope the Phins look at is Joseph Fauria from UCLA.. great size 6'7" 258.. Good blocker .. good hands.. in 2011 was ucla's leading receiver with 38 catches 481 yrds.. 6 td.. this year 39 catches.. 544 yrds.. 11 tds.. 13.9 ypc.. in 2010 he had only 3 catches but 2 tds... IMO we need a redzone target..

this yr UCLA has a Fr QB.. he's not bad 3234 yrds 26 tds.. who does this Fr QB look to for a td ? well .... 11 have been to Fauria.. the TE.. he's avg 13.95 yards per catch.. and he's a 3rd projected pick... mis-match 6'7" 258 .. just saying.. check him out

Alright, well...he's an option. I'm not in love, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'd have drafted Egnew before I drafted Fauria. Fauria looks like some of the freakishly-tall guys we've had come in, like Mastrud, that haven't ever really worked.

Fauria looks too light. I mean, if Egnew is having problems, why would Fauria be any different? I think Egnew's highlights displayed more athleticism and speed than what I'm seeing from Fauria, honestly.

Thoughts?

I was never impressed with Egnew.. Looked slow.. and more "got in the way" instead of Blocking... he came out at 6'6" 245
here's some things said about him... SLOW.. Struggles to get separation..
not a powerful blocker.. NOT a red-zone weapon.. sub-par YAC.. production fell off Sr yr.
Jr year had 90 rep.. 762 yrds.. avg 8.4 ypc 5 tds
Sr year had 50 rep.. 523 yrds.. 10.4 ypc 3 tds..

Fauria had 39 catches both Jr and Sr season.. avg 12.3 jr yr and 13.9 sr yr.. went from 6 tds to 11 tds.. he's 258 lbs heavier then Egnew and he is a good blocker.. and has "decent speed"
phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:

Thoughts?

I was never impressed with Egnew.. Looked slow.. and more "got in the way" instead of Blocking... he came out at 6'6" 245
not a powerful blocker.. NOT a red-zone weapon.. sub-par YAC.. production fell off Sr yr.

Fauria had 39 catches both Jr and Sr season.. avg 12.3 jr yr and 13.9 sr yr.. went from 6 tds to 11 tds.. he's 258 lbs heavier then Egnew and he is a good blocker.. and has "decent speed"

I was just going by what I was watching--which looked like a freakishly-tall guy who was slender despite what the scale might have said.

His height makes me worry because it will subtract from whatever quickness he has. He'll be slower and less able to run routes.

Watching him, I would think Fauria is another project player very similar to Egnew. Neither guy is built to block (obviously) but they're both going to struggle at establishing themselves physically at the next level, I think. Egnew I believe has already shown some struggles doing this.

Still, I wouldn't be against drafting Fauria in the middle-rounds.

Next year, the coaches will have to display more options in the passing game. I don't think it's any secret they've played it rather close to the vest this year. Tannehill's first year, lack of veterans, offense being installed, rookie WR/TEs developing. Next year, we'll have players ready to step up (hopefully) and we'll have address some of these concerns in the draft, too.

I see the offense as getting evolved quite a bit. It probably won't go swimmingly and they'll likely be quite a few growing pains but no doubt we'll see a few answers to these lingering questions.
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:

Thoughts?

I don't know about you, but I don't want a 503 pound TE... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOLFAN016 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:

Thoughts?

ok.. ok.. he's 258. which is heavier then Egnew..
and as I have a chance to talk about him again... in the 3rd rd.. I would draft the guy... I would love a mis-match in the red-zone .. we don't and haven't had one in a while...
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
DOLFAN016 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
phinmun wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:

Thoughts?

ok.. ok.. he's 258. which is heavier then Egnew..
and as I have a chance to talk about him again... in the 3rd rd.. I would draft the guy... I would love a mis-match in the red-zone .. we don't and haven't had one in a while...

Haha...I knew what ya meant man. And I agree that having a guy that's 6'7" in the red-zone would be huge. Even if all he did was catch TDs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: