Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The debut of LaMichael James and AJ Jenkins?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
I am a lot more excited about jenkins than james. jenkins and CK made a nice play together in the preseason at home (forget which one). CK rolled to his right and jenkins was supposed to be working towards the sidelines but when he wasnt open he moved to the left and found a hole in the zone and CK effortlessly fired it in there on the run - which is becoming his MO. Jenkins has a knack for getting open and CK has a knack for extending plays - such a great combination especially because both are fast and I think that they are going to get along really really well for the next 8-10 years. Jenkins seems to be the prototypical WR in harbaughs offense - he seems to be very similar to the way mario manningham is built, who was a great signing btw

James didnt impress me too much in the preseason to be 100% honest. I knew he would take time to develop tho and Im hoping he get stronger and if he can somehow inherit just a little bit of gores patience and power that he could be an everydown back in a few years. But im holding out expectations until he actually does something on the field in the NFL to warrant them... he hasnt looked as quick and explosive as advertised and I still have doubts about his vision and running style ... just havent seen enough yet to think he is going to get more than 3 plays this sunday unless we are up by 20 points

On a side note, Im starting to get worried about us wearing down gore. He is by far the best RB we have and is one of the main reasons our line is rated so highly because his patience, vision and cutting ability (just the way he hops around and freezes guys is incredible) are second to none. the way he finds the cutback lane is incredible. its gonna be a shame the day he retires. He is so important to our offense because he really can do it all. So basically what I am saying is that gore needs to be rested at the end of games when we are up multiple scores. which sucks, because thats when he wants to be out there the most but we really really need his veteran experience in the playoffs now that we have a young QB

Jenkins looked lost in the offense and dropped the ball a lot more than in college. Still I think I saw him more wide open than most of our other WRs. One of his skills in college was his ability to get open. I hope we start seeing some of that. If Ginn and/or Moss are not back next year, or maybe even if they are, I expect to see Jenkins moving up to be our number 2 or 3 receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Even though he dropped some balls in preseason, I was really impressed by Jenkins. He's such a fluid athlete and a natural pass catcher. His routes were crisp as well. Many people were disappointed when we drafted him, but I saw him as a pick in line with the Aldon, CK and Culliver that we've drafted. A raw guy with very high upside. I remember reading his name two years ago. He didn't come out of nowhere, and I don't think we reached for him at all. He's a legit first round talent. He might not get on the field a lot, but I'm sure we'll see him from time to time.

I think Kyle's blocking will be missed. Crabtree has been doing a great job on one side, and he'll probably see his blocking responsibilities increased. And Randy will probably see more snaps too, just because he's a more reliable blocker than Manningham and Jenkins.

James should be used frequently, in my opinion. Hunter's job was often to go out there and bounce it outside. He's one of the best outside runner I've seen in a long time. He stretched the field horizontally. When he was on the field, even on a passing play, he opened up the second level a little. I think we'll need James for these outside runs. Gore does some, but he's so great at squeezing through the line on inside runs and piercing a loaded box. I don't think Jacobs will get Hunter's carries, exactly. I think Jacobs and James together might share Hunter's carries, and depending on the opponent and whether we're leading or not, one will get more or less.

I think the two rookies will do very well.

And please... a few screens... come on! And more playaction. Imagine Jenkins, Moss and Manningham at the same time on the field... defenses would have to be afraid of the deep ball.

When you see a QB that is good a play action you wonder why in the world every team doesn't do it like that. A lot of teams just go through the motions but never really make it hard to read the play. Unfortunately, we're one of those teams.. Maybe we'll discover in time Kap is better at it than Alex was.

What exactly makes Alex's or Kap's play fakes bad? Alex killed the Bills with it, and Kap killed the Bears with it. What I've seen in the rest of games is a general lack of commitment to the playaction. The greatest asset to the playaction is a great running game. We have that. If faking a hand-off gives only one of our players even only half a step on the defender covering him, that's better than nothing, no? And if the playaction fakes make defenders hesitate on actual run plays, that's better than nothing as well, no?

The playaction is more than the physical act of faking a hand-off. It's a philosophy. It's a tool that should be use to keep defenses guessing. It is what Harbaugh loves more than anything else: a competitive advantage. A team with a top passing attack should use it to help out the run (look at the Saints) and a team with a top running attack should use it to help out the pass (that should be us, but look at the redskins and how they take advantage of it). It's ridiculous that we don't use it more. We could be unstoppable.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Even though he dropped some balls in preseason, I was really impressed by Jenkins. He's such a fluid athlete and a natural pass catcher. His routes were crisp as well. Many people were disappointed when we drafted him, but I saw him as a pick in line with the Aldon, CK and Culliver that we've drafted. A raw guy with very high upside. I remember reading his name two years ago. He didn't come out of nowhere, and I don't think we reached for him at all. He's a legit first round talent. He might not get on the field a lot, but I'm sure we'll see him from time to time.

I think Kyle's blocking will be missed. Crabtree has been doing a great job on one side, and he'll probably see his blocking responsibilities increased. And Randy will probably see more snaps too, just because he's a more reliable blocker than Manningham and Jenkins.

James should be used frequently, in my opinion. Hunter's job was often to go out there and bounce it outside. He's one of the best outside runner I've seen in a long time. He stretched the field horizontally. When he was on the field, even on a passing play, he opened up the second level a little. I think we'll need James for these outside runs. Gore does some, but he's so great at squeezing through the line on inside runs and piercing a loaded box. I don't think Jacobs will get Hunter's carries, exactly. I think Jacobs and James together might share Hunter's carries, and depending on the opponent and whether we're leading or not, one will get more or less.

And please... a few screens... come on! And more playaction. Imagine Jenkins, Moss and Manningham at the same time on the field... defenses would have to be afraid of the deep ball.

When you see a QB that is good a play action you wonder why in the world every team doesn't do it like that. A lot of teams just go through the motions but never really make it hard to read the play. Unfortunately, we're one of those teams.. Maybe we'll discover in time Kap is better at it than Alex was.

What exactly makes Alex's or Kap's play fakes bad? Alex killed the Bills with it, and Kap killed the Bears with it. What I've seen in the rest of games is a general lack of commitment to the playaction. The greatest asset to the playaction is a great running game. We have that. If faking a hand-off gives only one of our players even only half a step on the defender covering him, that's better than nothing, no? And if the playaction fakes make defenders hesitate on actual run plays, that's better than nothing as well, no?

The playaction is more than the physical act of faking a hand-off. It's a philosophy. It's a tool that should be use to keep defenses guessing. It is what Harbaugh loves more than anything else: a competitive advantage. A team with a top passing attack should use it to help out the run (look at the Saints) and a team with a top running attack should use it to help out the pass (that should be us, but look at the redskins and how they take advantage of it). It's ridiculous that we don't use it more. We could be unstoppable.

Yeah, I agree with this. The point I'm making is that with most teams you can easily tell who's got the ball and it is the mere act of faking the ball that causes the defense to hesitate for a split second. But there are some guys that do ot so well that you can't tell who has the ball - at least for an additional split second and that adds more to the advantage you're talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Agreed with all of this. In fact, Alex, the last time I looked, led the league in QBR in playaction. Our problem, if we actually have one, is not that we don't sell it, we just don't use it as much as maybe we should. We lead the league in rushing yards per game and probably a whole slew of other rushing stats. We should be gashing defenses with playaction more often.

Sometimes, the eye test, when watching from a 60" HD TV with an eagle's eye view of the field, can be misleading. What matters, is what the defense can see from their vantage point. It's just like when people get all ticked off because a quarterback missed a wide open receiver, but they failed to notice that, from the quarterback's perspective, two huge linemen were blocking his view and couldn't see him until it was too late.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very excited to see the potential debut of LaMichael James in the NFL.

Very big fan of his when he was at Oregon. How many carries will he get with Frank Gore, Dixon, and even Brandon Jacobs still in the mix?

Doesn't seem like the team is anxious to play him right now
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess-although its not a lock, both will see playing time tomorrow.

James- our only RB who can offer us something outside the tackles, and the only one with decent nfl speed. Jacobs and Dixon are more north/south runners, big guys. James was a good rb inside the tackles in college but i think he's the best rb who can replicate what hunter did for us, and hunter saw 5-10 touches a game.

Jenkins- We only have 3 healthy WR's. Williams is injured. Ginn is a "WR" but he's more of a return guy and with nobody to back him up, they're not going to take a chance with him running a route or a fly sweep reverse. Ginn is also largely ineffective as a WR. He's also the emergency 3rd QB in case both Kaep/Smith are injured. We like to rotate so Jenkins will take Williams spot as the 4th WR for now.

So in all, i expect each player to be on the field for 5-10 snaps each. Whether they make an impact with those snaps, or make a case to play more snaps than that, i don't know.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
in po we trust

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Jenkins is gonna be activated this week.

I think it'll look like this.. going from last weeks 46-man game day roster:

Inactive:

DeMarcus Dobbs
Darcel McBath(concussion)
Scott Tolzien
Joe Looney
Jewel Hampton
A.J. Jenkins
Ian Williams

Active:

LaMichael James
Michael Wilhoite(special teams)
Will Tukuafu
Trent Robinson(for McBath)

To I.R.:

Kendall Hunter
Kyle Williams

I think we'll go with more 2 TE sets with Walker getting more of Williams reps than Jenkins would have or even Moss is going to get. The only real way I see Jenkins getting activated is if we go with only 1 back-up DL and keep Tukuafu inactive.

*(as an extra blocker)
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in po we trust wrote:
I don't think Jenkins is gonna be activated this week.

I think it'll look like this.. going from last weeks 46-man game day roster:

Inactive:

DeMarcus Dobbs
Darcel McBath(concussion)
Scott Tolzien
Joe Looney
Jewel Hampton
A.J. Jenkins
Ian Williams

Active:

LaMichael James
Michael Wilhoite(special teams)
Will Tukuafu
Trent Robinson(for McBath)

To I.R.:

Kendall Hunter
Kyle Williams

I think we'll go with more 2 TE sets with Walker getting more of Williams reps than Jenkins would have or even Moss is going to get. The only real way I see Jenkins getting activated is if we go with only 1 back-up DL and keep Tukuafu inactive.
''

Please, please - no! Tuku can play ST instead of Wilhoite and we can add AJ to take Kyle's place. It's time for both of our riiks to see some snaps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't know gameday inactives for a bit but James just tweeted this...

https://twitter.com/LaMichaelJames/status/275259314451644416

Quote:
Life isn't fair...

Maybe he was just told he wasn't playing? Doubt he'd be thinking about any other topics on a Sunday morning, 2 hours before kickoff.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Won't know gameday inactives for a bit but James just tweeted this...

https://twitter.com/LaMichaelJames/status/275259314451644416

Quote:
Life isn't fair...

Maybe he was just told he wasn't playing? Doubt he'd be thinking about any other topics on a Sunday morning, 2 hours before kickoff.

Maybe he was talking about Belcher... it's a story that must be on pretty much everybody's mind. And maybe they were in meetings yesterday, so he didn't find out until this morning.

49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/275276725573787651

Quote:
LaMichael James is inactive; A.J. Jenkins is active.

Well at least one of our guys is active...but i can't believe we have an injury to our backup RB and our 2nd round pick STILL can't get active. Good depth, but i wish he could at least take a snap, let alone make some positive impact Confused

And with this knowledge James seems pretty crushed in his earlier tweet.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/275276725573787651

Quote:
LaMichael James is inactive; A.J. Jenkins is active.

Well at least one of our guys is active...but i can't believe we have an injury to our backup RB and our 2nd round pick STILL can't get active. Good depth, but i wish he could at least take a snap, let alone make some positive impact Confused

And with this knowledge James seems pretty crushed in his earlier tweet.

So... that clears it... we're going to miss outside running. This is a surprising decision. It will only make inside running that much tougher, against a great DL. Is it that we're going to come out throwing? We have to find a way to unload the box.

UofMfan909

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So our second PR / KR gets hurt, our #2 RB gets hurt, and our #1 PR poops the bed and we still can't activate LMJ as either a returner or backup back? Disagree entirely with that decision.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins is in street clothes...
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, despite injuries to players at the RB and WR position, both James and Jenkins did not get 1 snap combined between the two of them...

If they can't even see time with injuries, it'll probably be a while before they do something meaningful. If ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: