Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans GDT: Houston at Tennessee
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the game?
Houston by a lot
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Houston by a little
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
The Texans finally end an OT game in a tie
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Tennessee by a little
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tennessee by a lot
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

kenney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Texans GDT: Houston at Tennessee Reply with quote

Week 13 Gameday Thread: Houston Texans at Tennessee Titans

Television: CBS at Noon CST / 1:00 p.m. EST
Weather Forecast: 70 with a 20% chance of rain; 12 mph South wind

The Matchups

Houston Rushing Offense vs. Tennessee Rushing Defense

The Texans' rushing offense currently averages 144.1 yards per game - good for fifth best in the league. In that same vein, the Titans' rush defense yields a whopping 129.8 yards per game, which is just behind the Baltimore Ravens as the 27th best (or 6th worst) rush defense in the league. It's no secret that Houston is insistent upon establishing their ground game, and Kubiak has stubbornly (wisely?) stuck to the rush even when it seemed to be detrimental to the team (for instance: in overtime against the Lions, when three straight rushes yielded a grand total of -6 yards).

To complicate matters for Tennessee, the Texans' Ben Tate finally appears to be ready to return from a hamstring injury that kept him out of the month of November. Houston has the pieces in place to constantly have fresh legs on the field, and amid rising concerns surrounding Foster's workload, Justin Forsett has been a good change-of-pace back in Tate's absence. Kubiak and Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison have appeared reluctant to rely consistently on any back save Foster throughout the season, and despite Foster's plummeting yards-per-carry, he is second only to Adrian Peterson in rushing yards to go along with 12 rushing touchdowns. The offensive staff has also at least paid lipservice to the idea that Tate will have to work his way back into the rotation of runningbacks.

So what can we expect? I'm inclined to ignore the idea that Tate won't see significant time in this backfield. My eyes tell me that Foster's legs are tired. An offense like Houston's against a defense like Tennessee's has little excuse not to run the ball 30+ times in this match-up. Feed the ball to Foster, Forsett, and Tate and you ought to have a victory.

As a side note, Houston will likely be without starting right tackle Derek Newton and swing interior lineman Antoine Caldwell for this game. Ryan Harris will start at right tackle and we should expect Andrew Gardner and rookie guard Brandon Brooks (who received praise this past week from the coaching staff for his work in short-yardage situations in Detroit) to be active and get some reps on the field.

Advantage:

Houston Passing Offense vs. Tennessee Passing Defense

Similar to the last matchup, on paper, this is a clear advantage for Houston. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson showed over the last two games that when the team's defense and running game are struggling (to put it mildly), the two are capable of guiding the Texans to victory.

Houston has a diverse passing offense that goes first through Andre Johnson and second through its triplets of Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham, and James Casey. While Andre Johnson certainly ought to be able to handle any sort of coverage the Titans throw his way (their pass defense is also 27th in the league), the Titans sport a group of young, athletic linebackers who are more than capable of causing problems for the Texans trying to get the ball into the hands of their dynamic TEs/H-backs.

I expect to see extra work in the seams for the TEs, which are normally hit on drag routes. It also shouldn't be surprising to see Keshawn Martin, Kevin Walter, and even Lestar Jean get some work against the Titan's very weak safeties.

Although the run game should be the primary gameplan for Houston, Tennessee is vulnerable in the passing game.

Advantage:

Tennessee Rushing Offense vs. Houston Rushing Defense

I'm not prepared to re-grant him the CJ2k moniker, but clearly Chris Johnson has finally taken to the system in Tennessee. He is running hard and looks decisive and fast.

On the bright side for Houston, Shaun Cody should be returning the lineup and is a better run-stopper at the moment than any of the other options they've tried so far (Earl Mitchell and Jared Crick, namely). On the not-so-bright side for Houston, no one's running game is going to fear having to run at Cody, Sharpton, and Tim Dobbins/Barrett Ruud (Bradie James is a game time decision and hasn't practiced all week).

Houston has been relying more heavily on their four man fronts over the past several weeks, and initially this change was tailored by Phillips to stop early apparent deficiencies. On 1st and second downs, the Texans began playing Watt at LE in a head-up 6/8 technique (depending on strength), Antonio Smith playing a 3-tech/UT, Cody as a 1, and Barwin as the RE. This actually served as a wonderful panacaea for the run defense woes before Cushing went down, as this gave Phillips flexibility with Brooks Reed and in turn allowed him to leave Quin at safety rather than moving up to play linebacker next to Cushing.

Now Cushing and Reed are hurt and Mercilus is not exactly shocking the world with his run defense. It will also be problematic to try and stop the run with just a rotation of Sharpton, Ruud, and Dobbins at ILB. A theory I am toying with says that Braman's most significant role in rotation this week might be in the Reed psuedo-joker role, spending some time at both ILB and DE on run downs.

I think personnel shuffling is going to cause some issues for Houston here this week.

Advantage:

Tennessee Passing Offense vs. Houston Passing Defense

Jake Locker is probably not going to be knocked out of this game. Jonathan Joseph is a game-time decision and Brice McCain and Alan Ball are primed to make Nate Washington and Kendall Wright look like legitimate NFL WRs.

Houston's primary hope here is going to have to be that Phillips dials up some effective blitzes. The base linemen are not getting consistent pressure outside of Watt, and the corners not named Kareem Jackson don't appear capable of covering anyone for more than a split second. Glover Quin is usually good for giving up a TD up the seam to a no-name TE in a game like this, so expect Taylor Thompson to flash here.

With Joseph likely out and the coaching staff's reluctance to play Brandon Harris at Nickel over McCain, a lot is going to be riding on Jackson and Manning to keep Britt in check and I'm not personally optimistic about Barwin and Mercilus being able to beat the best tackle duo we've faced all season. Any pressure we get is going to have to come up the middle -- stunts for Watt and Smith and blitzes from Sharpton and Ruud. I can hardly wait.

Advantage:

Houston Special Teams vs. Tennessee Special Teams

This isn't really worth analyzing. The turf monster leads the NFL in tackling Keshawn Martin, closely followed by Bryan Anger. Shayne Graham is making us all nostalgic of Kris Brown. Donnie Jones has been a pleasant surprise, but we're in trouble if he's punting much.

Advantage:

What does Vegas say?

Vegas knows all. It knows better than you or me or any pundit on any sports network. I don't know how, but they do. Vegas opened the line no this game at Texans -4, clearly begging betters to pile money on Houston. The line has since been moved to Houston -6, but something tells me this game is not going to be a W for the Texans. Injuries and new defensive issues cropping up against Jacksonville and Detroit leave a lot to be concerned about if you're a Texans fan.

Prediction: Tennessee 23 - Houston 14

Last edited by kenney on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big game in terms of more than likely taking a loss next week to the Pats. We can't drop 2 in a row so we need to win this game.

The key matchups are

Sharpton v CJ2K

McCain v Wright

We win these 2 matchups and we win the game.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I feel like this is a trap game. Titans just canned Chris Palmer and promoted their QB coach.

Hopefully I am wrong and we blow the Titans out!

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, December 14, 2008:

The Tenneesse Titans were riding high in the NFL that year, sporting a 12-1 record going into their week 15 matchup against the Houston Texans. The Titans boasted the best defensive player in the NFL in Albert Haynesworth, had a Pro Bowl QB season out of Kerry Collins, and Chris Johnson was amidst one of his best seasons in his career. The Titans had the 14th best scoring offense in the NFL, 2nd best scoring defense in the NFL. This game would punch the Titans' ticket into the playoffs, and save them from having to travel to Pittsburgh to claim said playoff berth.

Going into that game, the Houston Texans had been the 17th scoring offense in the NFL, 27th ranked defense, on the midst of an up and down season; The team had to deal with a dual QB situation with Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels, could get yards...but could not put up points, could not stop others from putting up points. People felt as if the Titans would walk into Reliant Stadium and put the screws to the Texans that day.

60 minutes later, in a very startling turn of events, the Texans went ahead and served a mountain of crow to the high riding Titans, winning 13-12. The Texans leaned on Andre Johnson, who had 12 receptions for 207 yards to go along with the only TD of the day. Many felt that in the midst of this season, the Titans simply overlooked this division rival, and it would lead to a loss this time around.

November 25, 2012:

The Houston Texans were riding high in the NFL that year, sporting a 10-1 record going into their week 12 matchup against the Tenneesse Titans. The Texans boasted the best defensive player in the NFL in JJ Watt, had a Pro Bowl QB season out of Matt Schaub, and Arian Foster was amidst one of his best seasons in his career. The Texans had the 2nd best scoring offense in the NFL, 5th best scoring defense in the NFL. This game would punch the Texans' ticket into the playoffs, and save them from having to travel to New England to claim said playoff berth.

Going into that game, the Tenneesse Titans had been the 19th scoring offense in the NFL, 31st ranked defense, on the midst of an up and down season; The team had to deal with a dual QB situation with Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck, could get yards...but could not put up points, could not stop others from putting up points. People feel as if the Texans will walk into LP Field and put the screws to the Titans this day.

60 minutes later, in a very startling turn of events, the Titans went ahead and served a mountain of crow to the high riding Texans, winning 13-12. The Titans leaned on Chris Johnson, who had 15 carries for 207 yards to go along with the only TD of the day. Many felt that in the midst of this season, the Titans simply overlooked this division rival, and it would lead to a loss this time around.

(Seems somewhat poetic, somewhat karmatic, given what happened last time these two teams were on different sides of the spectrum and had a late season game to play...)

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
For some reason I feel like this is a trap game. Titans just canned Chris Palmer and promoted their QB coach.

Hopefully I am wrong and we blow the Titans out!

The Jags game was supposed to be our trap game. Hopefully they got all the trapness out of their system then and we should be fine, except injuries are starting to stack up, no where near as bad as last year yet but stacking up nonetheless.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our biggest rival. The hate runs strong. It ain't no trap game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Eric Winston in this game, mostly because he clearly hated Tennessee more than anyone else and was willing to push back when they were punks.

Content is being worked through now. Will be posted tomorrow morning.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
This is our biggest rival. The hate runs strong. It ain't no trap game.

Exactly, there's no way you don't get up for this game, plus it's on the road so the opposing crowd booing and such should get you hyped even more.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
jargin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for this Sunday. I hope we get to see Tate on the field. Of course we will be happy to see Joseph back on defense. This should be a good game. I hope we take out some frustration on the Titans. I hope to see less penalties and mental mistakes than we have seen the last 2 games.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would sit JJo regardless, we need to focus on the run game any, so let him rest before we see the Pats, where we will really need him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Personally I would sit JJo regardless, we need to focus on the run game any, so let him rest before we see the Pats, where we will really need him.

I agree, who do you see Joseph on during the New England game?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

He will just play his side and whoever lines up against him he will cover, Im not a fan of this but thats what we do, we don't really shadow a guy with a corner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be Good one
CAS22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
bunnyracin wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

He will just play his side and whoever lines up against him he will cover, Im not a fan of this but thats what we do, we don't really shadow a guy with a corner.

McCain on Welker would just about ruin any chance we have of winning the game. I'm thinking Joseph should shadow Welker and Kareem will take Lloyd.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ET I appreciate your symmetry but I think you are being a bit generous. That Titans team had an end of the line Kerry Collins. They also have never in the history of their franchise had a pass catcher quite like Andre Johnson. The way that Schaub and company have played the last few weeks simply tells us that we don't need a dominant performance from our defense to win. Although, it sure would be nice to bring back one of those 117 total net yards games from the defense that we saw in week 2.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: