Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Saints draft pick no one saw coming...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: The Saints draft pick no one saw coming... Reply with quote

Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse

Lost your minds yet? Let me explain…

This past offseason, Drew Brees basically signed what pretty much amounts to a 3 year 61 million dollar contract extension with what basically equates to a team option in each of the 2015 & 2016 seasons at 20 million per. Next season Brees will be entering the second year of that contract, He will be 34 years old and entering the latter stages of his career. Typically the Saints and Sean Payton would wait another year or two to make this move (draft a successor at QB to groom) but due to the new rookie wedge scale it has become more practicable to draft these quarterbacks earlier and allow them to sit and learn behind veteran quarterbacks.

The situation also plays a major factor into this decision. Like it or not but Drew Brees is likely looking toward the downside of his career and with each passing day his contract makes him more and more expendable. That’s just the way of the business and is the downfalls that come with having such a huge cap number. Brees is safe contract wise until the end of the 2014 season but after that his contract will have to be restructured in order for him to remain on the Saints. Still, at 36 years old approaching 37 the Saints will also have to decide whether or not they feel it’s in the best interest of the team moving fwd to keep Brees around or if the time, team and current state of the franchise dictate that it would be best for all parties involved to part ways. Now that is if Drew Brees wants to keep playing, There is the other deciding factor that Brees could retire and come back on a restructured deal in 2015 for his swan song season before turning the reins over to Nassib in 2016. Injuries could also play a big factor in when Brees is no longer the starting quarterback of the New Orleans Saints. With his increasing age, Brees will become more susceptible to injury and in the event the Saints star quarterback suffers an injury during his time throughout his current contract, it would be very wise for the Saints to invest into the future of the position now and not gamble that Brees will remain invincible or fool themselves into thinking that Chase Daniel is anything more than a backup.

Then there is the uniqueness that is Ryan Nassib…

He’s a prospect that is seeing his draft stock absolutely soar right now and here’s why the Saints will be interested.

Former Saints offensive coordinator and very good friend of Sean Payton and current head football coach at Syracuse University Doug Marrone has groomed Nassib into one of this drafts best kept secrets. Nassib is an extremely accurate passer with a live NFL arm who can make all the throws on the next level. He has tremendous leadership qualities, is a tough guy who will stand in the pocket and is known for his high football IQ. Nassib is athletic but also has uncanny pocket awareness and knows how to manipulate the pocket to his advantage in face of the oncoming pass rush.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Basically, at 6’3” 225lbs… Nassib is a rocked up young version of Drew Brees. While he isn’t the NFL quarterback Brees is yet, after being mentored by Marrone at Syracuse in many of the same aspects required in Sean Payton’s offense combined with Payton and Marrone’s relationship, I am all but cretin that if Sean Payton was to EVER target an eventual replacement to groom as Brees successor then Nassib will be the perfect opportunity for that in Payton’s eyes.

The question then remains… is drafting for the future now the right thing to do?

This is the toughest question of all. Sure fans and players would see this as a complete debacle for the most part. The media would begin foolishly proclaiming that Brees is on his way out and that you don’t draft quarterbacks in the 1st round to sit and watch. I see things completely different on the matter. This has absolutely become a quarterback driven league and the premium on the position can never be undervalued. Regardless if I myself believe that picking a QB in round 1 this year is a smart decision is irreverent and I firmly believe that if this organization has a high enough grade on Nassib (and I feel they will), they will pick him and they should.

As a franchise you can never disregard talent at the quarterback position in light of the now or the fear of the fan base reaction or even the hurt feelings of your aging current quarterback. Sustained success is always the goal for any franchise and the fans are the last people GM’s and head coaches should listen to. I remember when the Saints drafted Deuce McAllister when Ricky Williams was onboard. I called it a franchise killing mistake, HA what did I know. How about when the Saints took Will Smith when at the time they seemed set at the position with promising young players Darren Howard and Charles Grant. The point is, although you may see a particular selection as a mistake and the wrong thing for your franchise, remember that most fans think in the now and don’t ever really grasp the overall long term picture of the business side of this sport. Sure Nassib would likely be looked at as a shock selection and a waste of a draft pick now but with an aging superstar quarterback, a head coach with unbelievable job security and a fan base that has become absolutely spoiled with great play at the quarterback position. Maybe, just maybe… Nassib could eventually turn out to be the best draft selection in Saints history.

I know this… once Drew Brees day in the black and gold are over, I’d rather be the Green Bay Packers and not the Miami Dolphins!

Think about it Think

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Mr. Worm... interesting thinking too.

I still think we need a freak-nasty pass rusher first and foremost. The O-line positions can be taken in later rounds since the Saints have proven year after year in finding those hidden draft day gems. If this QB's draft stock is rising like you say, we should think about getting two first round picks and take this kid at the end of round 1 or beginning of round 2. You've made a convincing argument as to why this franchise should draft this guy.

The "...rocked up Drew Brees" comment along with the connection to Sean Payton comments are what got me thinking... bear with me now...

...defensive talent in recent drafts leads me to believe that in 4 or 5 years the NFL will once again be about smash mouth football. And, that's why drafting young Mr. Nassib would be a blessing in disguise. While defenses reek havoc, you need that calm and poise behind center.

I say yes to the prospect while keeping in mind that the majority of our other draft picks should be on the defensive side of the ball.

^NS922 on the sig^
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Good post Mr. Worm... interesting thinking too.

I still think we need a freak-nasty pass rusher first and foremost. The O-line positions can be taken in later rounds since the Saints have proven year after year in finding those hidden draft day gems. If this QB's draft stock is rising like you say, we should think about getting two first round picks and take this kid at the end of round 1 or beginning of round 2. You've made a convincing argument as to why this franchise should draft this guy.

The "...rocked up Drew Brees" comment along with the connection to Sean Payton comments are what got me thinking... bear with me now...

...defensive talent in recent drafts leads me to believe that in 4 or 5 years the NFL will once again be about smash mouth football. And, that's why drafting young Mr. Nassib would be a blessing in disguise. While defenses reek havoc, you need that calm and poise behind center.

I say yes to the prospect while keeping in mind that the majority of our other draft picks should be on the defensive side of the ball.

I would agree that a pass rusher is the top overall target, however the type of pass rusher the Saints need is entirely up for debate i think. On one hand the Saints could target a pass rusher with unlimited potential like say Mingo or Jordan but I also feel that if the Saints do (and they likley will) move on from Will Smith then they will need a starting calibur player that is stout aganist the run as well as the pass and in that case guys like Montgomery, Werner and Carriadne could be the target.

As far as the Nassib idea... I just wanted to mention it as a possiability. Looking at it he just seems like the type of prospect that would make a seamless transition taking over for Brees in 2-3 years in Paytons offense. Sure we'd have to sacrafice a lil now but weighing what he could mean to the future of the franchise and seeing how important having a great quarterback is in this leauge, I just feel if the Saints and Sean Payton feel that any of these quarterbacks could be our future franchise QB then they should take him.

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pretty good idea Worm, I like it!

A few questions:

1.) Which round is he projected to go?

2.) How far is he from NFL ready?

If he's a 3rd-4th round pick, and if he's say 3-4 seasons from NFL ready, then I'd be quite happy to take him.

It may also do us well to take his LT Justin Pugh a round later. So:

1.) DE
3.) QB
4.) LT

If we get our 2nd back, pick a DB with it. I'd be ok with that.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
A pretty good idea Worm, I like it!

A few questions:

1.) Which round is he projected to go?

2.) How far is he from NFL ready?

If he's a 3rd-4th round pick, and if he's say 3-4 seasons from NFL ready, then I'd be quite happy to take him.

It may also do us well to take his LT Justin Pugh a round later. So:

1.) DE
3.) QB
4.) LT

If we get our 2nd back, pick a DB with it. I'd be ok with that.

I really like Pugh as well as a developmental LT...

Nassib came into the season projected as a 3-4th round pick, since then he's evevated his draft stock into 2nd round consideration but their is serious chatter that throughout pre draft workouts and the combine teams will fall in love with his high IQ and arm talent on top of being mentored by a pro style coach in Doug Marrone.

Nassib stock currently sits between mid 2nd to fringe 1st.

depending on how he preforms predraft he could rise to late 1st value due to the premium on the position.

As far as NFL ready... Could start but struggle for some teams, a better sceniero would be for him to sit for a couple seasons.

NOTE

What I really could see happening with Nassib is what I call the Sean Payton love effect. This happens when Sean Payton falls in love with an offensive prospect and gets determined to land him. THis happened when the Saints traded up for Mark Ingram after filling a need with Cam Jordan.

With the depth in this years D-Line class I could see the Saints getting aggressive in this draft and look to move back to aquire picks. Landing the best available D-lineman that falls to them after trading back to say the 20's then at the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd, Payton and Loomis (like with Ingram) decided they want the kid for the future and put a package together with current and future draft selections and moving back up to get him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: