Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eve of the Bear Hunt Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Eve of the Bear Hunt Mock Reply with quote

Season Notes
- Vikings finish season 9-7 and just miss out on the playoffs and are awarded the 20th pick in April’s draft
- With improvement seen, no coaching changes are made for the sake of continuity
- Craig Johnson is on the sideline during game days moving forward
- Adrian Peterson receives MVP votes, but settles for CBOY and OPY awards

Players Returning
- Kevin Williams, DT
- Jerome Felton, FB
- Jerome Simpson, WR
- Phil Loadholt, T
- Geoff Schwartz, OL
- Jamarca Sanford, S
- Erin Henderson, LB
- Marvin Mitchell, LB
- AJ Jefferson (RFA)
- Marcus Sherels, CB (ERFA)

Players Walking Out the Door
- John Carlson, TE (Cut)
- Michael Jenkins, WR (Cut)
- Devin Aromashodu, WR
- Joe Berger, OL
- Jasper Brinkley, LB
- Andrew Sendejo, S (Non-Tendered RFA)

Key Free Agents Brought In
- Terrence Knighton, DT
- Ramses Barden, WR

2012 NFL Draft
- 1st, Alec Ogletree [LB] Georgia – 6’3 236lbs
- 2nd, Jesse Williams [DT] Alabama – 6’4 320lbs
- 3rd, Alvin Bailey [G] Arkansas – 6’5 319lbs
- 4th, Quinton Patton [WR] Louisiana Tech – 6’2 195lbs
- 4th, Jordan Reed [TE] Florida – 6’3 240lbs
- 5th, Nigel Malone [CB] Kansas State – 5’10 180lbs
- 6th, DeVonte Holloman [LB] South Carolina 6’2 241lbs

Depth Chart

Rookie
Free Agent

- QB, Christian Ponder – Joe Webb – McLeod Bethel-Thompson
- RB, Adrian Peterson – Toby Gerhart – Jordan Todman
- FB, Jerome Felton
- TE, Kyle Rudolph – Rhett Ellison – Jordan Reed
- WR, Percy Harvin – Jerome Simpson – Ramses Barden – Jarius Wright – Quinton Patton – Greg Childs
- OL, Matt Kalil – Alvin Bailey – John Sullivan – Brandon Fusco – Phil Loadholt – Charlie Johnson – DeMarcus Love – Geoff Schwartz
- DL, Jared Allen – Kevin Williams – Terrence Knighton – Brian Robison – Everson Griffen – Jesse Williams - Letroy Guion – Christian Ballard – D’Aundre Reed
- LB, Chad Greenway – Alec Ogletree – Erin Henderson – Marvin Mitchell – Audie Cole – Larry Dean – DeVonte Holloman
- CB, Chris Cook – Antoine Winfield – Josh Robinson – AJ Jefferson – Brandon Burton – Nigel Malone – Marcus Sherels
- S, Harrison Smith – Jamarca Sanford – Mistral Raymond – Robert Blanton
- SP, Blair Walsh – Chris Kluwe – Cullen Loeffler

My Take
- I'm not a huge fan of the high end receivers in this draft so, in my opinion, the Vikings are better off going for a defensive approach when it comes to the draft. We've seen how effective this team can be just by handing the ball to Adrian Peterson and an improved defense will keep him in games longer. Alec Ogletree adds athleticism that is sorely missing in our linebacker core. Jesse Williams is a freak athlete that comes from a basketball and rugby background. His athleticism, paired with his strength, could land him in the first round. However, this is a deep defensive tackle draft and, because of that, I feel he falls to us in the 2nd. The Vikings also bring in Terrance Knighton via free agency and give him a chance to prove he can be one of the elite run stuffers in the league. The Vikings coaches just have to make sure he keeps his head in the game.

- For the middle rounds I wanted to address some key spots on the offense. Starting with Alvin Bailey (gasp! a Razorback) who can immediately come in and start at either guard spot. I have him replacing Charlie Johnson and that relegates Johnson to swing duty where I feel he's invaluable. The Vikings, despite my lack of interest in the top receivers in this draft, can't ignore the position. They bring in Ramses Barden to be a chain mover and red zone target in free agency and then draft Quinton Patten from the surprise Louisiana State team. Patton is an interesting prospect but has some developing to do. However, first round corner Johnathan Banks, thinks Patton is the best receiver he play against in college. Jordan Reed is a great athlete at the tight end position and has been getting coaching Aaron Hernandez. We have a Gronkowski clone (in height/size) so now we add our Hernandez to get a different type of weapon at the position.

- In the last two rounds I focused on guys who could play some special teams, but Malone is a potential starting slot corner in the making. Holloman is a productive player that could be a special teams beast.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.

Only thing I would change in the draft is probably OLB in the 4th, there's a good chance Jonathan Brown could be available, and Shamarko Thomas in the 6th.
Swaps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no problem with this situation.

I also agree that grabbing another LB in the 4 would be a good idea, since we still have Greg Childs coming off injury, it'll be like a rookie year for him, and his potential is still sky high. I would like to see the Vikings nab A.J. Klein from Iowa State. I really don't like Erin Henderson, I think A.J. could be a steal from a lower level school.

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we settle with Ramses Barden and a 4th round receiver we will be in the same exact predicament as this year. Those moves, if anything might make our WR's worse. Other than that, I like the pick-ups.

I said in a post earlier, if you dont have Bowe, Jennings, Wallace or a 1st-2nd round receiver in your mock I'll think its unrealistic. Sorry, thats just me. Nothing against you.

Read my post in the Ponder thread about wide receivers and the comparison I made.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the disappointing thing to me would be the lack of WR's, the Vikings biggest weakness even before offensive line is the inability of the WR's to get open and they've had a number of drops. Ramses Barden is probably an upgrade in depth, but we would still have the worst #2 WR in the NFL, which is bad, because Harvin isn't used as a traditional #1.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
If we settle with Ramses Barden and a 4th round receiver we will be in the same exact predicament as this year. Those moves, if anything might make our WR's worse. Other than that, I like the pick-ups.

I said in a post earlier, if you dont have Bowe, Jennings, Wallace or a 1st-2nd round receiver in your mock I'll think its unrealistic. Sorry, thats just me. Nothing against you.

Read my post in the Ponder thread about wide receivers and the comparison I made.

Any mock that does have one of those receivers is unrealistic. The Vikings aren't going to shell out big money for a receiver this off-season when Percy Harvin is coming up on what is going to be a large contract extension.

Improving the defense, in my opinion, for next year is the best course of action. There is no wide receiver in the first round worth taking and after that there are just better players available in the second/third round. With that being said, depending on how the board shakes out and where we pick I could easily see us taking Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter in the first.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be most upset about resigning Simpson. He is terrible... I would rather have a guy who is slow but can catch passes over a guy who is fast and drops every pass that hits his hands.

Other than that, I like it for the most part. I have never been that high on J. Williams, but he has good value as a second round pick. I like the Bailey pick in the 3rd, but if a falling WR is there, I would like to take one there instead (although I think G is just as much of a need!)...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

Any mock that does have one of those receivers is unrealistic. The Vikings aren't going to shell out big money for a receiver this off-season when Percy Harvin is coming up on what is going to be a large contract extension.

Improving the defense, in my opinion, for next year is the best course of action. There is no wide receiver in the first round worth taking and after that there are just better players available in the second/third round. With that being said, depending on how the board shakes out and where we pick I could easily see us taking Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter in the first.

ehhh I'm not sure about that. This franchise has gone two straight years trying to make #2 WR's into #1's and it isnt working...at all. What does Ramses Barden do for this team. We will be in the same predicament as this year. I would hope the FO would realize this they need to get a big time WR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloppy28 wrote:
I am going to be most upset about resigning Simpson. He is terrible... I would rather have a guy who is slow but can catch passes over a guy who is fast and drops every pass that hits his hands.

Other than that, I like it for the most part. I have never been that high on J. Williams, but he has good value as a second round pick. I like the Bailey pick in the 3rd, but if a falling WR is there, I would like to take one there instead (although I think G is just as much of a need!)...

This mock was made prior to the Bears game, at this point I want him gone.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Sloppy28 wrote:

This mock was made prior to the Bears game, at this point I want him gone.

Glad we agree!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: