Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Man, this forum is overreaction city!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1041
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Man, this forum is overreaction city! Reply with quote

Fire Schwartz, trade Stafford, trade Suh... but nobody is talking about trading Pettigrew, who single handedly (pun intended) lost us 2 games this year by himself.... funny

I don't think we should necessarily trade Pettigrew, but it's funny watching everyone go crazy talking about firing our head coach and trading our star players who, without them, we'd be merely average.

IMO our team is playing better than last year overall. The penalties are getting better, the discipline is getting better, and the defense is getting MUCH better. Just because our record doesn't show it doesn't mean we're regressing.

Seeing some of your guys' knee-jerk reactions is comical. Shut up and enjoy the season, and be excited of the fact we should be able to pick up a difference maker in the draft.
_________________


IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18073
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is talking "trade pettigrew" because we couldn't even get Vince Wilforks jock strap for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 22669
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Nobody is talking "trade pettigrew" because we couldn't even get Vince Wilforks jock strap for him.
Well of course we couldn't get Wilforks jockstrap, it's huge! Maybe Wes Welkers jockstrap, it's tiny.
_________________


R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Last season, we beat the teams we were supposed to beat; this season we haven't done that consistently, and so we'll enjoy yet another top #10 selection.

2. Count the members of this forum asking for Stafford, Schwartz, or Suh to be traded or fired. Don't guess, be accurate. I bet it's no more than 2 or 3. This thread is overreaction central.

3. Shut up and enjoy the season??? Are you out of your freaking mind!?! Just because you enjoy being apart of a losing culture, don't expect everyone else to succumb to that B.S.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
carlande


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 1411
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Nobody is talking "trade pettigrew" because we couldn't even get Vince Wilforks jock strap for him.
Well of course we couldn't get Wilforks jockstrap, it's huge! Maybe Wes Welkers jockstrap, it's tiny.


Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YlionsY


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 14656
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
1. Last season, we beat the teams we were supposed to beat; this season we haven't done that consistently, and so we'll enjoy yet another top #10 selection.

2. Count the members of this forum asking for Stafford, Schwartz, or Suh to be traded or fired. Don't guess, be accurate. I bet it's no more than 2 or 3. This thread is overreaction central.

3. Shut up and enjoy the season??? Are you out of your freaking mind!?! Just because you enjoy being apart of a losing culture, don't expect everyone else to succumb to that B.S.


Well said.

I can't enjoy getting "difference makers" every year in the draft. Means we sucked. I enjoy winning football not watching the Lions lose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WillParks


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 391
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are reacting strongly because for the first time in a long time we have a team with a fair amount of talent. We are frustrated because they are under-performing. The worst offenders are:

DEs (as a group): They haven't generated consistent pressure despite the increasing amount of havoc caused by Suh and Fairley. Avril's performance hasn't been worth anywhere near the $10 million we are paying him. Vandenbosche's tank is pretty much on empty. Our role players (Young and Jackson) haven't been light it up either.

Brandon Pettigrew: He is posting solid numbers but comes up with ball security issues at the worst time. Same story with dropped passes. He has cost us at least two games this year. I would actually be in favor of replacing him just to send a message to the rest of the team.

Matthew Stafford: He has great arm strength and can make any throw at any time. However, even this far into the season he and his receivers are still having timing issues. People who cover our games consistently say that he doesn't look like he is on the same page with his receivers. He still has trouble reading underneath coverage (see interceptions to Casey Hayward and Chad Greenway). He has accuracy problems, especially early in games. This guy was the #1 pick in the draft. He should play like it consistently.

Titus Young: He is becoming a world-class idiot

Ndamukong Suh: His game hasn't evolved at all since his rookie season. I generally don't think highly of Warren Sapp but his evaluation of Suh's game is accurate. Teams have adjusted to Suh but Suh hasn't adjusted his game at all. He is an extremely talented player but sometimes he makes you wonder if he is ever going to consistently play to his talent level.

Lions fans have higher expectations for this team and those expectations aren't unrealistic. We are losing to teams we should be be defeating because we are beating ourselves with bonehead plays. Early in the year it was on special teams. Our offense disappeared and while it has improved still couldn't manage to seal the deal in two straight games. Our defense has been pretty consistent but they share some of the blame for our late-game melt-downs.

The bottom line is this: the Lions, assuming they have another good draft/free agency period have enough talent to make some noise in the playoffs. The fans see that and have been waiting a long time to see the Lions put it all together consistently. We are getting tired of waiting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
People are reacting strongly because for the first time in a long time we have a team with a fair amount of talent. We are frustrated because they are under-performing. The worst offenders are:

DEs (as a group): They haven't generated consistent pressure despite the increasing amount of havoc caused by Suh and Fairley. Avril's performance hasn't been worth anywhere near the $10 million we are paying him. Vandenbosche's tank is pretty much on empty. Our role players (Young and Jackson) haven't been light it up either.

Brandon Pettigrew: He is posting solid numbers but comes up with ball security issues at the worst time. Same story with dropped passes. He has cost us at least two games this year. I would actually be in favor of replacing him just to send a message to the rest of the team.

Matthew Stafford: He has great arm strength and can make any throw at any time. However, even this far into the season he and his receivers are still having timing issues. People who cover our games consistently say that he doesn't look like he is on the same page with his receivers. He still has trouble reading underneath coverage (see interceptions to Casey Hayward and Chad Greenway). He has accuracy problems, especially early in games. This guy was the #1 pick in the draft. He should play like it consistently.

Titus Young: He is becoming a world-class idiot

Ndamukong Suh: His game hasn't evolved at all since his rookie season. I generally don't think highly of Warren Sapp but his evaluation of Suh's game is accurate. Teams have adjusted to Suh but Suh hasn't adjusted his game at all. He is an extremely talented player but sometimes he makes you wonder if he is ever going to consistently play to his talent level.

Lions fans have higher expectations for this team and those expectations aren't unrealistic. We are losing to teams we should be be defeating because we are beating ourselves with bonehead plays. Early in the year it was on special teams. Our offense disappeared and while it has improved still couldn't manage to seal the deal in two straight games. Our defense has been pretty consistent but they share some of the blame for our late-game melt-downs.

The bottom line is this: the Lions, assuming they have another good draft/free agency period have enough talent to make some noise in the playoffs. The fans see that and have been waiting a long time to see the Lions put it all together consistently. We are getting tired of waiting.
Very well stated.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
usedaschwartz


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 326
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
WillParks wrote:
People are reacting strongly because for the first time in a long time we have a team with a fair amount of talent. We are frustrated because they are under-performing. The worst offenders are:

DEs (as a group): They haven't generated consistent pressure despite the increasing amount of havoc caused by Suh and Fairley. Avril's performance hasn't been worth anywhere near the $10 million we are paying him. Vandenbosche's tank is pretty much on empty. Our role players (Young and Jackson) haven't been light it up either.

Brandon Pettigrew: He is posting solid numbers but comes up with ball security issues at the worst time. Same story with dropped passes. He has cost us at least two games this year. I would actually be in favor of replacing him just to send a message to the rest of the team.

Matthew Stafford: He has great arm strength and can make any throw at any time. However, even this far into the season he and his receivers are still having timing issues. People who cover our games consistently say that he doesn't look like he is on the same page with his receivers. He still has trouble reading underneath coverage (see interceptions to Casey Hayward and Chad Greenway). He has accuracy problems, especially early in games. This guy was the #1 pick in the draft. He should play like it consistently.

Titus Young: He is becoming a world-class idiot

Ndamukong Suh: His game hasn't evolved at all since his rookie season. I generally don't think highly of Warren Sapp but his evaluation of Suh's game is accurate. Teams have adjusted to Suh but Suh hasn't adjusted his game at all. He is an extremely talented player but sometimes he makes you wonder if he is ever going to consistently play to his talent level.

Lions fans have higher expectations for this team and those expectations aren't unrealistic. We are losing to teams we should be be defeating because we are beating ourselves with bonehead plays. Early in the year it was on special teams. Our offense disappeared and while it has improved still couldn't manage to seal the deal in two straight games. Our defense has been pretty consistent but they share some of the blame for our late-game melt-downs.

The bottom line is this: the Lions, assuming they have another good draft/free agency period have enough talent to make some noise in the playoffs. The fans see that and have been waiting a long time to see the Lions put it all together consistently. We are getting tired of waiting.
Very well stated.


Agreed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25116
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Man, this forum is overreaction city! Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
Fire Schwartz, trade Stafford, trade Suh... but nobody is talking about trading Pettigrew, who single handedly (pun intended) lost us 2 games this year by himself.... funny

I don't think we should necessarily trade Pettigrew, but it's funny watching everyone go crazy talking about firing our head coach and trading our star players who, without them, we'd be merely average.

IMO our team is playing better than last year overall. The penalties are getting better, the discipline is getting better, and the defense is getting MUCH better. Just because our record doesn't show it doesn't mean we're regressing.

Seeing some of your guys' knee-jerk reactions is comical. Shut up and enjoy the season, and be excited of the fact we should be able to pick up a difference maker in the draft.


Guess exactly where you can go?

Who do you think you are to tell the posters of this forum to shut up?

This forum is all about discussing differing views and heaven forbid that some of the posters here have opinions different than yours. A word of advice, check your massively over inflated ego at the door because these types of posts add absolutely nothing to the discussion.

In case you weren't aware I will spell a few facts out for you.

1. The forum is a place to exchange thoughts, opinions and football views.

2. We have posters in this forum as young as 14 years old. They don't need the almighty suhplex telling them to shut up!

3. Posts in this forum should promote, not discourage discussion.

4. It's usually prudent to follow your own advice first. So....shut up!

As for the balance of your post you simply put forward a view that suggests status quo is acceptable. It's not!

Schwartz isn't on the hot seat but he certainly deserves criticism for his decision making and behaviour. He embarrassed the franchise last year against San Francisco and he embarrassed the franchise with allowing his emotions to best him this past week. He has placed himself in a difficult position. In order to demand discipline he needs to start demonstrating it himself. It's ironic Titus Young gets suspended for having a temper tantrum yet Schwartz displays similar behaviour. There are a number of Lions player who make poor decisions and also display a lack of discipline and personal responsibility.

Linehan has an offence LOADED with weapons yet for most of the year it's been ineffective. Teams with far less investment in skill players are operating more effectively.

Cunningham given the shortcomings on defence has managed to put together an effective season.

Stafford? No one has taken a position he should be traded but a poster started a thread with a suggestion. It was designed to stimulate discussion which is the entire purpose of this forum. Personally I think Stafford displays most of the same shortcomings he showed at Georgia. I'm not nearly as enamoured with his performance as most of you seem to be and when framed between the skill players on the Lions offence his numbers look even worse.

Pettigrew. Exactly what do you think the Lions could get for him? A great deal of posters didnt like it when he was drafted and still don't like it. He doesn't perform to the level expected. The big question is why? Is he prone to drops or is Stafford's lack of touch also a contributing factor? It's likely a combination of both.

Suh, is rapidly earning a trip out of town. He has some issues and only time will tell if he can overcome them.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1041
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Man, this forum is overreaction city! Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
Fire Schwartz, trade Stafford, trade Suh... but nobody is talking about trading Pettigrew, who single handedly (pun intended) lost us 2 games this year by himself.... funny

I don't think we should necessarily trade Pettigrew, but it's funny watching everyone go crazy talking about firing our head coach and trading our star players who, without them, we'd be merely average.

IMO our team is playing better than last year overall. The penalties are getting better, the discipline is getting better, and the defense is getting MUCH better. Just because our record doesn't show it doesn't mean we're regressing.

Seeing some of your guys' knee-jerk reactions is comical. Shut up and enjoy the season, and be excited of the fact we should be able to pick up a difference maker in the draft.


Guess exactly where you can go?

Who do you think you are to tell the posters of this forum to shut up?

This forum is all about discussing differing views and heaven forbid that some of the posters here have opinions different than yours. A word of advice, check your massively over inflated ego at the door because these types of posts add absolutely nothing to the discussion.

In case you weren't aware I will spell a few facts out for you.

1. The forum is a place to exchange thoughts, opinions and football views.

2. We have posters in this forum as young as 14 years old. They don't need the almighty suhplex telling them to shut up!

3. Posts in this forum should promote, not discourage discussion.

4. It's usually prudent to follow your own advice first. So....shut up!

As for the balance of your post you simply put forward a view that suggests status quo is acceptable. It's not!

Schwartz isn't on the hot seat but he certainly deserves criticism for his decision making and behaviour. He embarrassed the franchise last year against San Francisco and he embarrassed the franchise with allowing his emotions to best him this past week. He has placed himself in a difficult position. In order to demand discipline he needs to start demonstrating it himself. It's ironic Titus Young gets suspended for having a temper tantrum yet Schwartz displays similar behaviour. There are a number of Lions player who make poor decisions and also display a lack of discipline and personal responsibility.

Linehan has an offence LOADED with weapons yet for most of the year it's been ineffective. Teams with far less investment in skill players are operating more effectively.

Cunningham given the shortcomings on defence has managed to put together an effective season.

Stafford? No one has taken a position he should be traded but a poster started a thread with a suggestion. It was designed to stimulate discussion which is the entire purpose of this forum. Personally I think Stafford displays most of the same shortcomings he showed at Georgia. I'm not nearly as enamoured with his performance as most of you seem to be and when framed between the skill players on the Lions offence his numbers look even worse.

Pettigrew. Exactly what do you think the Lions could get for him? A great deal of posters didnt like it when he was drafted and still don't like it. He doesn't perform to the level expected. The big question is why? Is he prone to drops or is Stafford's lack of touch also a contributing factor? It's likely a combination of both.

Suh, is rapidly earning a trip out of town. He has some issues and only time will tell if he can overcome them.

You are King Overreaction.

I am simply "exchanging my thought and opinion" that all the overreactors should shut up. Who exactly do you think you are to tell me what I can and can't post? (I can say the same thing as you, it all depends on perspective, eh?). Also, I am promoting discussion on how horrible the overreactions are (this is subjective to whether or not you'd like to participate in the discussion- which you are... kind of). Conversely, all of these overreaction threads don't promote me to enter the conversation, rather it makes this forum very unpleasant to visit because quite frankly it's too much of a hassle to sift through all the rubbish to get to the worthwhile discussions (this, again, is perspective).

Essentially all I am doing is voicing my opinion. So the question remains... who do YOU think YOU are?!

stylish313 wrote:
1. Last season, we beat the teams we were supposed to beat; this season we haven't done that consistently, and so we'll enjoy yet another top #10 selection.

2. Count the members of this forum asking for Stafford, Schwartz, or Suh to be traded or fired. Don't guess, be accurate. I bet it's no more than 2 or 3. This thread is overreaction central.

3. Shut up and enjoy the season??? Are you out of your freaking mind!?! Just because you enjoy being apart of a losing culture, don't expect everyone else to succumb to that B.S.

1) I would argue that last season, we beat a lot of teams we had no business beating. Record-wise we were better last year, but play-wise I believe we are better this year. Our defense is very much improved, and our offense is very close to last years.

The difference is turnovers and key mistakes, maybe a few lucky bounces. Pettigrew lost us 2 games by himself. That pick 6 in the GB game shouldn't have happened, chances are we win that game if it doesn't. My point is we are losing games moreso to circumstance and we aren't getting grossly outplayed (only one loss of > 1 posession).

2) There are 3 threads started talking about it, and quite a few people agree with the OP's.

3) I enjoy watching these Lions play, regardless of wins or losses. These Lions are competitive and entertaining to watch. I want to see them win as much as any other fan, but I'm not going to get down in the dumps and let my subjective opinion affect the objectiveness of whether we should fire Schwartz, trade Suh or trade Stafford. Those answers are a bonafide NO and anyone who says otherwise either is letting their frustration get the best of them, or they really know nothing on how to build a successful franchise.

It's not rocket surgery, you don't trade your best players still on their rookie contracts and you don't put your coach on the "hot seat" because he had a bad 11/16 of a season, especially when he led your team to the playoffs three years removed from being the worst team in NFL history.
_________________


IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackandBlue


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 1950
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
1. Last season, we beat the teams we were supposed to beat; this season we haven't done that consistently, and so we'll enjoy yet another top #10 selection.

2. Count the members of this forum asking for Stafford, Schwartz, or Suh to be traded or fired. Don't guess, be accurate. I bet it's no more than 2 or 3. This thread is overreaction central.

3. Shut up and enjoy the season??? Are you out of your freaking mind!?! Just because you enjoy being apart of a losing culture, don't expect everyone else to succumb to that B.S.


The only team that we lost to that we were supposed to beat was Tennessee, thanks to perhaps the craziest sequence of events in a NFL game in the Super Bowl era.

The Vikes are a good team. The 9ers, Bears, Packers, and Texans will all be competing for a number one seed. We haven't been losing to scrubs, nor have we've been getting blown out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1041
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
1. Last season, we beat the teams we were supposed to beat; this season we haven't done that consistently, and so we'll enjoy yet another top #10 selection.

2. Count the members of this forum asking for Stafford, Schwartz, or Suh to be traded or fired. Don't guess, be accurate. I bet it's no more than 2 or 3. This thread is overreaction central.

3. Shut up and enjoy the season??? Are you out of your freaking mind!?! Just because you enjoy being apart of a losing culture, don't expect everyone else to succumb to that B.S.


The only team that we lost to that we were supposed to beat was Tennessee, thanks to perhaps the craziest sequence of events in a NFL game in the Super Bowl era.

The Vikes are a good team. The 9ers, Bears, Packers, and Texans will all be competing for a number one seed. We haven't been losing to scrubs, nor have we've been getting blown out.

We didn't do well against playoff teams last year, either. We are much more competitive in those type of games this year as well.
_________________


IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeneralTso


Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 7209
Location: Props to Rase on Sig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once, we actually beat a good team in Seattle.
_________________

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18477
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Man, this forum is overreaction city! Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:

Seeing some of your guys' knee-jerk reactions is comical. Shut up and enjoy the season, and be excited of the fact we should be able to pick up a difference maker in the draft.


Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how crazy you may think it is. This is a discussion forum and the beauty of it is that people with differing opinions can come here and openly share them. We have to respect that. Everyone has the right to suggest ideas as long as they talk within the rules and respect other posters.

I understand you're frustrated with some of those opinions, but please respect everyone and don't tell people to "shut up". I don't agree with everything I read, but I love reading what people have to say. If everyone agreed with me I wouldn't be posting here.

With that said... don't expect anyone to be traded.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group