Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots release WR Greg Salas, Activate OL Markus Zusevics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesWelker wrote:
I hope we bring in a few WR's for workouts this week. Some intriguing, albeit uninspiring, names are out there. Mike Williams, Deon Butler, Jason Hill, etc.

Hill and Williams are awful
WesWelker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I want to see what they can do given an actual quarterback and not the likes of what Seattle and Jacksonville have had to offer the last couple of years.

Could be depth.

EDIT: Hill has been thrown to by O'Sullivan, Shaun Hill, Alex Smith (pre-goodness), and Blaine Gabbert . Not to mention the Sanchize in practice

Williams has had Harrington, crappy Culpepper, Tarvaris Jackson, injured and old Hasselbeck, and clipboard Jesus as quarterbacks.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesWelker wrote:
Meh, I want to see what they can do given an actual quarterback and not the likes of what Seattle and Jacksonville have had to offer the last couple of years.

Could be depth.

EDIT: Hill has been thrown to by O'Sullivan, Shaun Hill, Alex Smith (pre-goodness), and Blaine Gabbert . Not to mention the Sanchize in practice

Williams has had Harrington, crappy Culpepper, Tarvaris Jackson, injured and old Hasselbeck, and clipboard Jesus as quarterbacks.

Because Brady has a track record of taking crappy or washed up receivers and making them look good?

It doesn't matter who comes in, that #3 or #4 WR (depending on Edelman's availability) is going to get almost no snaps and probably not even a look from Brady.

Hill has never, ever shown good enough hands in the NFL to warrant consideration. Williams is a turd and can't separate from defenders. Neither guy fits the Pats needs or wants.

Butler is more interesting, but I doubt the Pasts go that route.
WesWelker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
WesWelker wrote:

Could be depth.

Because Brady has a track record of taking crappy or washed up receivers and making them look good?

It doesn't matter who comes in, that #3 or #4 WR (depending on Edelman's availability) is going to get almost no snaps and probably not even a look from Brady.

Hill has never, ever shown good enough hands in the NFL to warrant consideration. Williams is a turd and can't separate from defenders. Neither guy fits the Pats needs or wants.

Butler is more interesting, but I doubt the Pasts go that route.

Reche Caldwell. David Patten (the only good year he had away from the Pats, Brees was throwing him the ball). I'm sure there are others I can't get off the top of my head too.

All that aside, maybe a switch to even a semi-competent quarterback could do some of the receivers some good. I'm not expecting any of them to be impact players, just solid depth as a #4 or whatever. Like Salas was.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesWelker wrote:

Reche Caldwell. David Patten (the only good year he had away from the Pats, Brees was throwing him the ball). I'm sure there are others I can't get off the top of my head too.

The thing about those guys (and you seem to be ignoring that Patten was pretty much the same guy in 2000 with Cleveland as he was during his Patriots tenure) is that Brady was forced to use them - in each of those years (2001 and 2006), Brady had very poor secondary receivers.

Quote:
All that aside, maybe a switch to even a semi-competent quarterback could do some of the receivers some good. I'm not expecting any of them to be impact players, just solid depth as a #4 or whatever. Like Salas was.

When did Salas ever show he was solid depth? The advantage Salas had was that he was practice squad eligible. There's no reason to bring in trash like Williams or Hill when the Pats have Hernandez, Shiancoe, Fells, Vereen and Woodhead - all of whom can be used as a one week stop gap lined up as a receiver (mixing and matching depending on the formation/personnel package).

It makes the most sense to bring Branch back whenever he's healthy and/or add a young guy with PS eligibility or special teams ability. The team isn't going to get anything out of crappy veteran receviers. They're most likely not going to know the system and Brady isn't going to utilize them.
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
WesWelker wrote:
I hope we bring in a few WR's for workouts this week. Some intriguing, albeit uninspiring, names are out there. Mike Williams, Deon Butler, Jason Hill, etc.

Hill and Williams are awful

I didnt watch much of Hill in preseason but I expected him to beat out stokely. Though that was more me thinking stokely was done.
mcmurtry86 wrote:

It makes the most sense to bring Branch back whenever he's healthy and/or add a young guy with PS eligibility or special teams ability. The team isn't going to get anything out of crappy veteran receviers. They're most likely not going to know the system and Brady isn't going to utilize them.

I wanted Gaffney back but he's suspended. Still wouldnt mind taking him over Branch.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want us to get a young prospect at WR other than Hernandez.

But then I remember we suck at drafting WRs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
I really want us to get a young prospect at WR other than Hernandez.

But then I remember we suck at drafting WRs.

There's a lot of receievers in this year's draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: