Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Patriots... GOAT offense?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the 2012 offense go down as the GOAT?
Yes, the running game is the deciding factor
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
No, we'll slow down eventually
85%
 85%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 21

Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1950.htm

38.83 points per game.

In 1950.

I saw that on Patsfans.

It's 1950. The game is significantly different and the playing field is significantly more even then it was then.
Dude, you have really gone off the deep end these last few weeks.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1950.htm

38.83 points per game.

In 1950.

I saw that on Patsfans.

It's 1950. The game is significantly different and the playing field is significantly more even then it was then.
Dude, you have really gone off the deep end these last few weeks.

Based on what?

Everything I've stated are facts. There is no opinion behind the Patriots having a higher scoring average than the 2007 roster. There is no opinion behind 2012 Patriots having a significantly better running attack. And there is no opinion in us missing key contributors for long stretches of the season.

Everything I said is black and white, undeniable fact.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
jofos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:
If we can churn out first downs, it doesn't matter if we have a deep threat.

I feel this is not serious, no? Super bowl already forgotten? wont always be so easy to just "churn out first downs" when teams dare you to beat em deep and one cannot do it

I must have missed the great deep threats they had in 2001

I do not see a hint of relevancy in your post. One does not the worlds greatest offense ever to win the super bowl, as 2001 proves. Likewise, the best offense ever is not a guarantee to win it all, as 2007 proves. This threads title is clear, and the idea that we are flawless is absurd. This idea that we will always be able to churn out first downs is even sillier. What happens when we cannot churn out first downs? Then what?

Our offense churned out first downs last season too. When they blitz and stacked the box, thus forcing us to beat them deep, we failed. It is a flaw, a real one. It takes a certain type of defense to exploit it, but it is very real flaw. Churning out first downs is hardly a given, and having a deep threat in times of needs to back safeties the f up would be beyond clutch, and is currently absent.

I assume that you are talking about the SB. Offense was not the problem. The inability to get a stop when it was needed was the issue.
With that said I don't think that 2012 offense is the GOAT, that would be the 89 49ers.
Comparing the Patriots offense of 2012 and 2007 also has to factor in defense. How many more opportunities were there in 2007. The 2012 tends to say on the field a lot more.
In the end if following the 2012 season the Patriot win the super bowl, the I will have to say they were better than 2007 because they finished what they set out to do. Numbers don't matter results do.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jofos wrote:
Numbers don't matter results do.

This is ridiculous. A team can have the greatest offense (or defense) of all time and not win anything. We're not talking "most successful" offense, merely the statistically greatest.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood this argument that the 2007 Patriots "couldn't run the ball". Including the playoffs, Maroney had what, 5 or 6 100 yard games? Sammy Morris was a beast when he was healthy. Maroney's for the 16 games he played in throughout the season topped 1000 yards and had a high YPC.

Opting not to run the ball & being unable to run the ball are totally different things. Against Miami in week 7, or example, we scored 52 points while only running Maroney (our only healthy back) 6 times. When you can just 6 touchdowns with jaw dropping ease, why would you run it for a measly 5 yards per carry? It is also not like Maroney didn't run for 120+ the few times we asked him to handle 20+ carries; hell the guy was the unsung hero of the Baltimore game we won with like 2 seconds left. Maroneys problem was always that he was a under achiever, not that he wasn't an effective player. We could do better and so could he. For a guy who could run a like a beast, had speed to burn, moves to kill, and at times excellent vision, we should have never, ever been forced to call him an under achiever. If one put Benjarcus Greenlis Brain in Lawrence Maroneys body, you would have an Adrian Peterson caliber back. Some of the times, he was like that. Other times, he was MC Hammer. It seemed to vary from carry to carry, but when it counted, Maroney come through. The vision and moves he showed in the second half of the Chargers game were just jaw dropping. Few other backs had his agility, quickness, speed, and power combo. When Maroneys dancing worked, it was a sight to see. When it failed, it was painful. But to suggest that he was just horrible in 2007, or that we couldn't run the ball, is just nonsense.

Our passing game was just effective that it made little sense to run the ball most of the time; and the times it made sense to run it, we ran it quite well.
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything, we are not scoring enough. Is 2 touchdowns per quarter THAT much to ask for? Think Speak to the hand
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: