Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason moves that killed us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Offseason moves that killed us. Reply with quote

Obviously we've got a lot of problems with scheme. But one move that shouldn't have happened was the release of Travell Wharton. I know that he ended up tearing his ACL but that might not have happened under us. He was a quality guard and was a big part of the lines consistency.

We shouldn't have resigned Deangelo and we shouldn't have cut Mike Goodson. With the amount of carries our backs get, Goodson would have served the same role/purpose as DWill at a fraction of the cost with arguably more speed and upside.

I still would have drafted Amini and I would have put him at RG next to Bell.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wharton cost too much though and it wasn't like he was playing great last year. He was pretty bad at times. Most of our issues came from the right side anyway and even Kalil seemed to struggle with what we were trying to do from a scheme standpoint.
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutting john kasay. i'm convinced we'll be cursed for doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have a problem with any of the picks or players we brought in/lost...whats screwing us is scheme like you said and all those bogus contracts to the rbs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Wharton was the right thing to do. The scheme kills the OL.
Cutting Kasay a while back was a huge mistake.
And ironically, the Jags not hiring Chud too.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodson wasn't cut. He was traded to Oakland for Bruce Campbell.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:

Well he was traded for a guy we don't use, so same difference.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wharton was bad. Mackenzey Bernadeau played much better at LG for us last year, so if there was any guard we should've kept, he's the one.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Wharton was bad. Mackenzey Bernadeau played much better at LG for us last year, so if there was any guard we should've kept, he's the one.

Never trust him. I talked to him on FB once and he said Clausen was good.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Mad Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense is terrible and the defense is not clutch.

Offensively Chud has been the worst problem. Cam exceeded everybody's expectation as a rookie. Chud didn't adjust to Cam's skills and really still hasn't.

Cam has played terrible. No question that many are questioning whether we want to keep him as our franchise QB. I honestly don't see the game well enough to know if he is making the correct reads or any of that, but he is inaccurate and the ball tends to go high. In the NFL, accuracy is a a premium. With the low salary he was paid, it is easy enough to cut bait. Guy has tons of talent and I like a lot about his game. I think Cam's fate might be tied to Rivera. If Rivera goes, it is not inconceivable we could take a QB in the 1st round or 2nd round. We're not at the point that the crowd is screaming "Jimmy." Might be because nobody is there.

Panthers have neglected the offensive line for years. Another Hurneysim. Hurney always felt like he could find talent in later rounds and other than Gross and Wharton, never drafted too many Olinemen high. Of course, Mathis was playing with the Eagles last time I checked and Berger for the Skins. A stud offensive linemen or Armanti Edwards, which is going to help me win more? Panthers have to beef it up here. Forgot Otah.

Wide receivers are a little better this year, I don't see any major moves here, but only because there plenty of holes elsewhere..

Running backs ... been covered

Trading away picks ... been covered

Frigging kickers. Like others said, cutting Kasay was a blunder. I was a two kicker hater, but damn seems like we would have won a few more had we kept Kasay. Plus they moved the kickoff forward, can't the punter kick that far? Miss Baker too.

I feel like the defense has played OK except when the game is on the line. One stop please. TD has been great, Kuechly could legitimately be DROY, Norman has been a surprise, Hardy has been solid, and Johnson is very strong. Inside they have managed with no assistance in the draft in years. Another Hurneyism. Johnson was a 3rd rounder, Neblett a FA, Hardy a 6th rounder, and a couple free agents.

Norman has been a nice surprise and I've always like Munnerlyn. Nakamura ain't great, but is no worse than Martin. I think we could use an upgrade here, but I don't know how we get there.

I really want the coaches to succeed and think churning through different staffs is a terrible mistake. Rivera has looked like a deer in the headlights at times this year. I can't quite put my finger on it, but probably has something to do with losing every single game for two years in the 4th quarter, other than the Giants and Denver games.

Interestingly, sometimes new GM's want new coaches. New coaches want their own QBs ... Personally, I'd like to give Cam and Rivera two more years - when Newton's contract is up. If they haven't turned the corner, get rid of them both.
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Man wrote:

Offensively Chud has been the worst problem. Cam exceeded everybody's expectation as a rookie. Chud didn't adjust to Cam's skills and really still hasn't.

Cam has played terrible. No question that many are questioning whether we want to keep him as our franchise QB. I honestly don't see the game well enough to know if he is making the correct reads or any of that, but he is inaccurate and the ball tends to go high. In the NFL, accuracy is a a premium. With the low salary he was paid, it is easy enough to cut bait. Guy has tons of talent and I like a lot about his game. I think Cam's fate might be tied to Rivera. If Rivera goes, it is not inconceivable we could take a QB in the 1st round or 2nd round. We're not at the point that the crowd is screaming "Jimmy." Might be because nobody is there.

Panthers have neglected the offensive line for years. Another Hurneysim. Hurney always felt like he could find talent in later rounds and other than Gross and Wharton, never drafted too many Olinemen high. Of course, Mathis was playing with the Eagles last time I checked and Berger for the Skins. A stud offensive linemen or Armanti Edwards, which is going to help me win more? Panthers have to beef it up here. Forgot Otah.

Wide receivers are a little better this year, I don't see any major moves here, but only because there plenty of holes elsewhere..

Frigging kickers. Like others said, cutting Kasay was a blunder. I was a two kicker hater, but damn seems like we would have won a few more had we kept Kasay. Plus they moved the kickoff forward, can't the punter kick that far? Miss Baker too.

I feel like the defense has played OK except when the game is on the line. One stop please. TD has been great, Kuechly could legitimately be DROY, Norman has been a surprise, Hardy has been solid, and Johnson is very strong. Inside they have managed with no assistance in the draft in years. Another Hurneyism. Johnson was a 3rd rounder, Neblett a FA, Hardy a 6th rounder, and a couple free agents.

Norman has been a nice surprise and I've always like Munnerlyn. Nakamura ain't great, but is no worse than Martin. I think we could use an upgrade here, but I don't know how we get there.

I really want the coaches to succeed and think churning through different staffs is a terrible mistake. Rivera has looked like a deer in the headlights at times this year. I can't quite put my finger on it, but probably has something to do with losing every single game for two years in the 4th quarter, other than the Giants and Denver games.

Interestingly, sometimes new GM's want new coaches. New coaches want their own QBs ... Personally, I'd like to give Cam and Rivera two more years - when Newton's contract is up. If they haven't turned the corner, get rid of them both.

JR will make sure the new GM and coach want Cam no way Rivera gets 2 more years.

Thanks CK
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Mad Man wrote:

JR will make sure the new GM and coach want Cam no way Rivera gets 2 more years.

I honestly think it comes down to these last six games, if we win 3-4 he stays, if less the coaching staff is gone by the end of the season.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
PantherDE90 wrote:

Well he was traded for a guy we don't use, so same difference.

you not given Campbell any time yet - I thought he looked really useful coming out of college

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: