Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ed Reed Suspended for 1 game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have is the league suspending Reed in a game where Dennis Pitta was taken out of the game for a concussion by a known head-hunter who, after the play was walking around with all the cameras on him pointing at his helmet knowing he just hit him with it...

The league gave absolutely no punishment to Clark for his hit on Pitta, but suspends Reed for his hit on Sanders, even though Clark is a known head-hunter, is on record saying he doesn't care about fines or suspensions he's going to keep playing the way he does, yet Ed Reed, the guy with a torn shoulder labrum and a neck injury is apparently trying to injure OTHER players.

That's what I have a problem with. However I think the most basic problem in the NFL with these hits are that defenders keep getting bigger and stronger while offensive players keep getting weaker and faster.

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ @Flaccomania

Only Sanders wasn't defenseless- per se (he was defenseless within the structure of the rule of making a catch, but not in the fact that he didn't see the hit and wasn't in a position where he could lessen the impact). He had already taken two steps and saw the hit coming... which is why it became helmet to helmet in the first place. Sanders lowers his head at the last second to absorb part of the blow... and Reed while indeed leading with his head (but really what tackle ISN'T led with the helmet, defenders are taught to put their helmet onto the ball and the ball is likely to be BEHIND the offensive players head on most any play) then hits Sanders just lowered helmet.

I won't argue with the penalty as indeed he hit the helmet and that's the rule. But this is one rule that is really getting on my nerves. Are defenders suppose to not tackle a guy until he takes 2 steps and THEN makes a football move? Because what the NFL is asking on that play is the impossible. There is no way Ed Reed can make a sound tackle on that play without drawing helmet to helmet or worse going after Sanders knees. Even if he were lunging shoulder to waist (proper tackling technique) instead of forearm to chest, there is no way he avoids the H2H there.

And again, I bring up the NBA here. You state that the NFL doesn't want to grade out intent, but they surely can grade out impact. There could easily be a: technical H2H penalty vs. a flagrant H2H penalty. A technical could be called in a game then upon further examination it could be amplified to flagrant by the disciplinary committee or the exact opposite, a flagrant called in game and then demoted to a technical. The rule enforcement on each could then be determined. Also the in-game penalty varying. A technical hit could produce a normal 15 yd penalty, but a flagrant hit producing 20 yds (an extra 5 yds difference).

Also in terms of the point about Harrison... how often is he in coverage? If the NFL really is going to proceed without establishing a clear cut system on this, then you'd think they'd at least factor in likelihood of such a hit. Harrison is/was in coverage probably 70% less of the time than Reed. His 3 hits in 3 seasons would then be 5 hits in 3 seasons for Reed.

The main problem here is that there is no proper system. Fine Reed all you want because its against the rules and because the fine system is clearly set in stone. But there is no system clearly installed for fining players based on unsportsmanlike penalties. Make one, even a stupid one, and I won't complain (as much), but until then I find this AND the Harrison suspension to be unfair based on the information provided. It just has a tribal "this is my decision" feel to it as opposed to something that everyone can get behind... and honestly I think this is why Goodell takes such heat. Sure he's disciplining players that break rules, but many times these rules are so jelly that they leave room for arguments. If proper systems were established and the NFL can point to those "systems" doing the punishment and not just some "committee" than it would go over a lot smoother when the hammer is dropped.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^^ @Flaccomania

Only Sanders wasn't defenseless- per se (he was defenseless within the structure of the rule of making a catch, but not in the fact that he didn't see the hit and wasn't in a position where he could lessen the impact). He had already taken two steps and saw the hit coming... which is why it became helmet to helmet in the first place. Sanders lowers his head at the last second to absorb part of the blow... and Reed while indeed leading with his head (but really what tackle ISN'T led with the helmet, defenders are taught to put their helmet onto the ball and the ball is likely to be BEHIND the offensive players head on most any play) then hits Sanders just lowered helmet.

I won't argue with the penalty as indeed he hit the helmet and that's the rule. But this is one rule that is really getting on my nerves. Are defenders suppose to not tackle a guy until he takes 2 steps and THEN makes a football move? Because what the NFL is asking on that play is the impossible. There is no way Ed Reed can make a sound tackle on that play without drawing helmet to helmet or worse going after Sanders knees. Even if he were lunging shoulder to waist (proper tackling technique) instead of forearm to chest, there is no way he avoids the H2H there.

Like you said though, within the confines of the NFL rules, Sanders was indeed defenseless. Whether that rule is a good one or not is a completely separate argument.

And defenders can absolutely tackle a guy before that, but they have to aim lower. Are there instances where they are going to go low and the receiver lowers his body as well and it causes H2H? Sure, and those cases are nearly impossible to avoid. But rules have to be as black and white as possible and in the case of concussions (because of that huge lawsuit the NFL is facing) they are erring heavily on the side of caution.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
dcarey20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appeal by Reed won, will play Sinday, receives 50k fine
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:

I'm not sure I like the appeal. This only gives the NFL further ammo to suspend him for another game down the way if anything else happens... not that they probably wouldn't have done that anyway.

I don't know. I just have that walking on egg shells type feeling. We'll need Reed against the Broncos and a few other games down the road especially. This game against the Chargers is at home... and if we're going to play a game without him... I'd prefer it be a home game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:

I'm not sure I like the appeal. This only gives the NFL further ammo to suspend him for another game down the way if anything else happens... not that they probably wouldn't have done that anyway.

I don't know. I just have that walking on egg shells type feeling. We'll need Reed against the Broncos and a few other games down the road especially. This game against the Chargers is at home... and if we're going to play a game without him... I'd prefer it be a home game.

It's not a home game. And Rivers burned us downfield last year. Reed will be key.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suck it Goodell!

Free Ray Rice
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:

It's not a home game. And Rivers burned us downfield last year. Reed will be key.

Yeah, apparently we don't get to play the Chargers at home anymore. We haven't played them at M & T since 06 and we've played them 3 times since then, Sunday will be the fourth...seriously, wth?

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:

Yeah, apparently we don't get to play the Chargers at home anymore. We haven't played them at M & T since 06 and we've played them 3 times since then, Sunday will be the fourth...seriously, wth?

Wow. What am I thinking then? I'll have to recheck the schedule then. But still Rivers is still playing his worst ball of his career for some reason.. So I'd rather miss Reed for this game than either the Steelers if they return Ben or the Broncos... Nevermind, I get it. I confused the Broncos and Chargers game. Switched them in my head. But still I hate the way we matchup against the Broncos. They scare me just as much as the Texans tbqh... Maybe even more. Since with the Texans if our offense can find a way to improve we're good. But the Broncos have Manning AND Miller. I expect both guys to wreck havoc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Suck it Goodell!

This x10000000000000!

Official stalker victim of Harper41.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: