Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Chad Henne Era, graces us, FINALLY!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a bad decision, but i'm not sure Mularkey has handled it as well as possible in terms of the media-fan-optics element. I'm not sure he's done a good enough job emphasizing that it's both 'Henne earning it' as well as 'Gabbert being injured'.

There are a couple of factors at play for me:

1)There's not much point in 'evaluating' a banged-up, no-armed Gabbert.

2)Chad Henne provided a spark for this team on Sunday, and i think going straight back to Gabbert regardless, sends the wrong message to the rest of the team. A sort of, 'you don't matter, Gabbert is the only guy that counts' thing. While largely true, i don't think that's what you want your team to feel.

3)It's Chad Henne...is it really going to be that long before he lays an egg and opens the door for Gabbert to get back in? I mean, by the end of last game, he was already starting to fade hard.

4)If Henne does miraculously string together a half dozen great games (unlikely), maybe we aught to give him a chance to compete with whoever else we bring in for a starting role next year.

5)If Henne comes in and plays well and this offense looks respectable...it gives us an opportunity to re-evaluate where the rest of our talent situation is on that side of the ball at least.

Basically, the way i see it:

-Either Henne is a gamer and he takes the reins miraculously stringing together a half dozen good games in a row, and we have a guy who deserves to at least compete for the starting job next year.

or...

-Henne falls on his face a game or two in, everyone shuts up about the whole thing, and opens the door for getting Gabbert back in. So we have a few more games left to see what Gabbert can do...and maybe, just maybe it lights a fire under his behind and he shows up healthier, and with a real chip on his (hopefully healthier) shoulder. I think there may be some merit in at least bluffing that Gabbert's job isn't 'guaranteed'. Outside of preseason, i've never seen a real fire in the guy, or a real sense of 'THIS IS MY TEAM'. The real command of the offense. That's something i want to see. Maybe it's been enough of the 'carrot'...time for the 'stick'.

My biggest fear though, is that the Titans pass defense may make Henne look like a stud. But even if that happens...how long can it really last?

Last edited by Tugboat on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
I don't think it's a bad decision, but i'm not sure Mularkey has handled it as well as possible in terms of the media-fan-optics element. I'm not sure he's done a good enough job emphasizing that it's both 'Henne earning it' as well as 'Gabbert being injured'.

Mularkey said that Henne is the starter regardless of Gabbert's injury status.......

I hate the Jaguars
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Tugboat wrote:

Mularkey said that Henne is the starter regardless of Gabbert's injury status.......

In the article in the OP, it clearly shows Mularkey mentioning that Gabbert is 'questionable' for Sunday.

But you're right. I don't think Mularkey has done a good job of emphasizing both aspects. You obviously can't come out and just say Gabbert is the starter no matter what, but Henne will start just because Gabbert is injured. But it does feel like Mularkey has swung too far the other direction.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole situation is a mess.
I can only hope Henne looks good Sunday. If he stinks it up, the rest of the year is going to be a nightmare.

I hate the Jaguars
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Tugboat wrote:

In the article in the OP, it clearly shows Mularkey mentioning that Gabbert is 'questionable' for Sunday.

But you're right. I don't think Mularkey has done a good job of emphasizing both aspects. You obviously can't come out and just say Gabbert is the starter no matter what, but Henne will start just because Gabbert is injured. But it does feel like Mularkey has swung too far the other direction.
"With Gabbert's injury in mind, we're going to go with the hot hand in Chad Henne. We will reevaluate as we get more information."

Boom. That's how you do it.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
This whole situation is a mess.
I can only hope Henne looks good Sunday. If he stinks it up, the rest of the year is going to be a nightmare.

I basically feel the opposite.

Not that i want to see Henne fail. Or that don't like winning...

But realistically, the best outcome for this situation would be for Henne to suck really hard this Sunday against the Titans...and we can get right back to evaluating Gabbert.

The longer Henne looks like a legit option, the worse this mess gets imo.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Tugboat wrote:

"With Gabbert's injury in mind, we're going to go with the hot hand in Chad Henne. We will reevaluate as we get more information."

Boom. That's how you do it.

Word. It's all about the details with that sort of thing, and i'm not sure Mularkey really came across the right way with what he said.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Welp, if we don't draft a QB now, I'm going to be really upset.

Who? Who is worth the pick?
I'd rather address every other need and get a pass rusher now (when this is a building blocks draft) and roll with Blaine/Henne/Street FA in 2013, and try again in 2014, and have a great defense when we get a new QB.

This. I think the potential is there to make big strides in improving our defense, filling out the last pieces in our offense and try some things at QB next year. Then grab a true franchise guy in 2014 if nothing pans out.

Look at a team like Seattle, who brought in a 3-way QB battle in camp this year. A Journeyman Vet, a Backup with some potential upside, and a Mid-Round Rookie.

I'm all for giving it a go with a similar concept here. Let some combination of Gabbert/Henne/Mid-Rounder/Vet-FA duke it out next year. If it flops, we suck enough to get a potential franchise-changer next year.

Its A Sabotage wrote:
green24 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
So he's basically doing the same thing here like he did in Buffalo with Losman/Holcomb and led to the GM getting fired? Nice.

Let's not act like Gene wasn't already on his way out though.

Take a mid-round guy this year.
Take another next year until this gets solved.

Who do you want the Jags to take? Dysert? Nassib?

Dysert wont make it to the third.
He is the most "pro-ready" developmental guy coming out.
I would take either him or Nassib in the third (Dysert in the second).

Internet rumor is we like Glennon.

I don't care who it is, as long as they have the potential to be the guy for more than 1 season.

There are plenty of interesting options out there. Dysert, Nassib, Glennon, even potentially Aaron Murray, or heck, if Barkley isn't overdrafted and actually fell to the 2nd round somehow i'd be willing to try it, i still like Landry Jones personally (though that's obviously not popular). All kinds of options. It's a 'pick your poison' sort of thing, but there are options.

DuvalsKing wrote:
Blaine screwed his self by being Captain Check down when clearly by Henne's performance yesterday against one of the best defense's in the league, on their home field he put up great numbers, I've supported Blaine but he is just not the answer. Neither is Geno Smith nor is Matt Barkley the best thing to do is build everything else on the team defensive talent and o-line talent and go with what we have at quarterback our shipped has sailed on getting a elite qb through the draft.

Agreed. I just don't see that true 'elite' QB in this draft. Plus...Jaguars. Sad

The other component of that isn't discussed a lot...If Gabbert truly isn't 'the guy', we're talking not only a miss on a 1st round QB (which is a huge blow to a franchise)...but we're also talking about a TRADE-UP for a QB miss. That's an extra 2nd rounder that isn't in our lineup. That puts us even farther behind the 8-ball if Gabbert isn't the future.

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
That reminds me, what I really liked yesterday was when they showed Gabbert talking to Henne and it looked like Gabbert was asking him about plays on the past drive. When they showed Gabbert, he looked frustrated, but he never pouted. It seems like he has the right attitude so that's at least some kind of positive to take out of it as far as he's concerned.

I'm not really sure on that. To me, Gabbert looked dejected and borderline pouty. It's good that he was still engaged in what was going on and the breakdown of plays and such, but it's an issue i've had with Gabbert frequently...that he too often looks like a kid who is just there to learn. While yes, he should be learning and has a lot to learn...you see Henne out there looking like an Admiral commanding the fleet in comparison. When Henne took over...he really took over. And in many respects, it leaves me wondering if one of Gabberts biggest flaws is just confidence. It cuts across his 'captain check down' mentality, his 'scared little girl' pocket presense, and his 'command of the team' as a whole.

I wonder if this little scare in terms of a starting QB controversy might not be the sort of kick in the pants that he needs to come back with some fire, some anger, and some confidence.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least thats good news...right?

I cant help but feel we will play ourselves out of the #1 pick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
Henne sucks. He does just enough to give you hope to stay on the roster but never does more than that. You have a better chance with Gabbert and hoping he develops.

At least he's going to target the hell out of Blackmon these last 6 games? :shrugs:

Blackmon is the most targeted WR on our team, and him and Shorts were tied coming into the game.

The thing that Henne does that Gabbert won't is throw WRs who appear covered so that's good.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
AngryPirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go Luke Joeckel 1st round then draft Andrew Murray 2nd round and Collin Klien 7th round. I still say trying to get Ryan Mallett away from NE would be the best path. Its not like they can request a kings random for him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Perfect Chad Henne(g)

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngryPirate wrote:
go Luke Joeckel 1st round then draft Andrew Murray 2nd round and Collin Klien 7th round. I still say trying to get Ryan Mallett away from NE would be the best path. Its not like they can request a kings random for him.

I'd be okay with that since it means we would get Clowney next year :3

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henne might have a new target, we signed Jordan Shipley. He was in Brat's offense in 2010 with the Bengals.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngryPirate wrote:

Who's Andrew Murray?
We should just draft Klein with our first round pick and run a 2 QB system with Klein and Henne. SUPERBOWL

I hate the Jaguars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: