Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blaine Gabbert removed as starter, Henne to take over
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to trade for Tebow?
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Time to trade for Tebow?

so they can have a QB worse than Gabbert?

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Time to trade for Tebow?
Someday...maybe like three years after he retires and moves on with his life, maybe this will stop. I'm holding out hope.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
coors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that when Gabbert went down with his injury and it was time for Henne to step in, that most.. if not all of the Front Office and Coaching Staff -- and players inside the Jacksonville organization were happy and or relieved at that injury.. and no I'm not saying that they were happy at the fact that Gabbert was physically hurt.. but happy that nobody actually had to bench Gabbert, he pretty much did it himself. I can honestly say that I have not seen a full Jaguars game outside of maybe 1 or 2 games since Gabbert has been starting.. but I know that he has been nothing short of terrible so far in his young career. Henne is no world beater by any means.. but he has at least been a QB that can "manage" a game.. and when its maybe a 3rd and 7, that Henne is capable of making a throw at least every once and a while to pick up a 1st down.. where it honestly has looked to me like Gabbert literally isn't even capable at that. Gabbert was drafted as high as he was based soley off of potential IMO.. he was immensely raw coming out.. and seems to me like he is still just as raw, making very minimal improvement over the last 2 years or so.. which honestly makes me feel bad for the Jacksonville fans.. because their team is not nearly as bad as what their record and performances have shown us.. this league is driven by the QBs through and through.. and with the QB play that they have received there is just no way for that team to do anything positive. Having the whole MJD fiasco this off season.. and then having him miss a lot of the season up until now due to injuries.. none of that helps out the young QBs at all.. if anything its been detrimental to them. On top of all of that, Blackmon finally lived up to his billing in yesterdays game.

I truly hope that the Jags are able to find a steady QB for them so that they are finally able to start growing in other areas.. I think that Khan as the new owner is a really good thing, because the guy has let it be known to us that he wants to win, and he is willing to do what it takes, even financially, to win.

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henne Penny. Let's see what you can do with some weapons. This should be interesting.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
finally...The Jaguars have been too much patient with him
As were the Giants with Eli Manning.
As were the Texans with David Carr.

Not saying this is the RIGHT decision - the team needs to see if Blaine Gabbert has a future as the Jags QB, and taking starts away from the guy isn't how you answer that question. Just saying, "sticking" with a QB for the sake of sticking with him is a two way road. In the case of the Giants, it paid off. In the case of the Texans, it didn't.

In the case of the Jags...well...don't know.
I'm not saying stick with him just because. Statistically, his first two seasons are on par with Eli's first two seasons. He's been getting progressively better.

I normally agree with most things you post, but not this.

I'll give you Eli's first season. But Eli's second season he went 24 TD's and 17 INT's, 6.8 YPA. Gabbert was on pace for about 14-15 TD's and 10 INT's. 6.0 YPA.

Completion percentage wise, yeah, they're both bad. Blaine had a big uptick this year. Which probably accounts for his increased YPA (complete more passes, it will go up). Eli has always been able to push the ball upfield better, even when he didn't complete as many passes.

I think the differences are pretty stark, but i'm a little more removed from the situation.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Gabbert's hair is prettier Sad

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and so it begins...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

I'll give you Eli's first season. But Eli's second season he went 24 TD's and 17 INT's, 6.8 YPA. Gabbert was on pace for about 14-15 TD's and 10 INT's. 6.0 YPA.

Completion percentage wise, yeah, they're both bad. Blaine had a big uptick this year. Which probably accounts for his increased YPA (complete more passes, it will go up). Eli has always been able to push the ball upfield better, even when he didn't complete as many passes.

I think the differences are pretty stark, but i'm a little more removed from the situation.
He's on pace for 14-10 because he's missed the equivalent of a little under 2 games, and the projections expect him to miss the same percentage of time across the final 6. He's on pace for 112 fewer attempts.

If you were to project his stats to 557 attempts as Eli had, you'd get
325/557 3,326 yards 58.3% 18TDs 12INTs 77.4 Passer Rating
Compared to
294/557 3,762 yards 52.8% 24TDs 17INTs 75.9 Passer Rating

What you get is two guys who aren't that far off. You've got one guy who pushed the ball downfield more and made more plays vs a guy who protected the ball more and made fewer mistakes. We've been told that that's the play style that Mularkey wanted Blaine to play, but we've also seen him push the ball downfield for entire games when given the chance. There's certainly some differences, but they aren't really that far off in the grand scheme, are they? Enough so to think that one will become a two time Super Bowl MVP and the other needs to not even play out the rest of his second season?

- Best since day one -
sadjag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
One thing I noticed is when Gabbert was the starter, he rarely even looked Blackmon's way. I know I only watched the Jags sparingly and could be wrong but when Henne played the last two weeks, all of a sudden Blackmon is open every play and is getting big targets??

What is up with that?
I've seen this comment a few times and just too clarify Blackmon has led the team in targets for the majority of the year. He just wasn't catching the ball before last Sunday for some mysterious reason.....(Gabbert).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
theJ wrote:

He's on pace for 14-10 because he's missed the equivalent of a little under 2 games, and the projections expect him to miss the same percentage of time across the final 6. He's on pace for 112 fewer attempts.

If you were to project his stats to 557 attempts as Eli had, you'd get
325/557 3,326 yards 58.3% 18TDs 12INTs 77.4 Passer Rating
Compared to
294/557 3,762 yards 52.8% 24TDs 17INTs 75.9 Passer Rating

What you get is two guys who aren't that far off. You've got one guy who pushed the ball downfield more and made more plays vs a guy who protected the ball more and made fewer mistakes. We've been told that that's the play style that Mularkey wanted Blaine to play, but we've also seen him push the ball downfield for entire games when given the chance. There's certainly some differences, but they aren't really that far off in the grand scheme, are they? Enough so to think that one will become a two time Super Bowl MVP and the other needs to not even play out the rest of his second season?

You're reaching.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
You're reaching.
How so, exactly? Eli had quite a few more yards and TDs. His offense was designed around that, and as a result, he threw more INTs and fewer completions. In contrast, Blaine's offense is one around limiting mistakes and completing passes. As a result, he threw fewer TDs and fewer yards. They aren't all that different.

- Best since day one -
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say "Well Eli Manning sucked too, but he got better" but you can also name off plenty of busts who sucked and continued to suck.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still find it funny that Mularkey wanted Gabbert to be more cautious throwing the football, went super conservative early in the season in playcalling, and then got his jimmies all rustled when Gabbert actually listened to him and was cautious and conservative with the football.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called this. Predicted Gabby would be benched in Favor of Henne in the offseason.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: