Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who should be the Chiefs next coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
Jason Whitlock, while I known he isn't well liked, brought up a couple of names on 610 this morning and one of them really intrigued me. I don't know how interested I would be, but it was a name that hasn't been thrown around before, so I was curious about everybody thought of it.

Bob Stoops Head Coach Oklahoma Sooners.

He has had great success at OU but seems to have lost a little magic. Is it time for him to "reinvent" himself at the professional level? Would he be willing to leave OU and try the NFL?

I am a big Mizzou fan and really dislike the Sooners, but something about Stoops intrigues me. Maybe it is just the idea of change, I don't know.

What do you all think about this possibility?

KCD88, TBH I am not that big on the idea of Stoops as our head coach. We have talked alot about college coaches making the transition to the NFL and obviously there are coaches like Jim Harbaugh, but I honestly believe he is more a case of the exception rather than the rule.

Personally, I think we need to find an innovative coach whether that be from the defensive side or offensive side - a coach that is respected by players and understands the dynamics of an NFL lockerroom. The key for me is if the candidate can clearly articulate their direction and has the ability of assembling a coaching staff and working well with those coaches and a GM.

It all starts with the GM - we need to hire a GM that is going to attract quality NFL coaching candidates, not repel them.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
KCDiehard88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
KCDiehard88 wrote:
Jason Whitlock, while I known he isn't well liked, brought up a couple of names on 610 this morning and one of them really intrigued me. I don't know how interested I would be, but it was a name that hasn't been thrown around before, so I was curious about everybody thought of it.

He has had great success at OU but seems to have lost a little magic. Is it time for him to "reinvent" himself at the professional level? Would he be willing to leave OU and try the NFL?

I am a big Mizzou fan and really dislike the Sooners, but something about Stoops intrigues me. Maybe it is just the idea of change, I don't know.

KCD88, TBH I am not that big on the idea of Stoops as our head coach. We have talked alot about college coaches making the transition to the NFL and obviously there are coaches like Jim Harbaugh, but I honestly believe he is more a case of the exception rather than the rule.

Personally, I think we need to find an innovative coach whether that be from the defensive side or offensive side - a coach that is respected by players and understands the dynamics of an NFL lockerroom. The key for me is if the candidate can clearly articulate their direction and has the ability of assembling a coaching staff and working well with those coaches and a GM.

It all starts with the GM - we need to hire a GM that is going to attract quality NFL coaching candidates, not repel them.

Yeah I agree. I was not advocating for Stoops, but rather just getting everybody's ideas and feelings on him.

I think it would be an interesting hire. He has been apart of winning football as well as average football. He is well respected and is young enough to look to stick somewhere for awhile.

You mentioned Harbaugh as college coach that has had success as an NFL coach. I would also like to throw in Greg Schiano of the Bucs. He has taken a horrible team and turned them into a respectable, tough football team in his first year. I honestly think Stoops would have the same type of effect.

Again I am not advocating for Stoops, just throwing names into hat to create discussion. At this point though, I think I like Stoops just as much as anybody else.

I also really like Brian Kelly the ND coach, but I doubt he leaves ND this quick.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KCDiehard88 wrote:

Yeah I agree. I was not advocating for Stoops, but rather just getting everybody's ideas and feelings on him.

I think it would be an interesting hire. He has been apart of winning football as well as average football. He is well respected and is young enough to look to stick somewhere for awhile.

You mentioned Harbaugh as college coach that has had success as an NFL coach. I would also like to throw in Greg Schiano of the Bucs. He has taken a horrible team and turned them into a respectable, tough football team in his first year. I honestly think Stoops would have the same type of effect.

Again I am not advocating for Stoops, just throwing names into hat to create discussion. At this point though, I think I like Stoops just as much as anybody else.

I also really like Brian Kelly the ND coach, but I doubt he leaves ND this quick.

A name I would put on the list is big's stepbrother Peter Carmichael. The New Orleans offense has really started to come around and I think alot of the credit should go to Carmichael for keeping the ship afloat on offense despite a pretty bad defense under Spagnuolo.

KCDiehard88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
KCDiehard88 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KCDiehard88 wrote:

A name I would put on the list is big's stepbrother Peter Carmichael. The New Orleans offense has really started to come around and I think alot of the credit should go to Carmichael for keeping the ship afloat on offense despite a pretty bad defense under Spagnuolo.

Based purely on success I am definitely in favor of this hire. Of course a lot more goes into the hire than success.

How much of a leader is he?

Why hasn't their running game been very good? That could be RB's available or the fact that he has Brees at QB lol

What has he done with young developing QB's?

Also love the fact that he coached under Marty. Again I would be in favor of Carmichael. (is he really bigs stepbro?)
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KCDiehard88 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KCDiehard88 wrote:

Based purely on success I am definitely in favor of this hire. Of course a lot more goes into the hire than success.

How much of a leader is he?

Why hasn't their running game been very good? That could be RB's available or the fact that he has Brees at QB lol

What has he done with young developing QB's?

Also love the fact that he coached under Marty. Again I would be in favor of Carmichael. (is he really bigs stepbro?)

Those are some good questions and would definitely be something to look into when considering him as a candidate. I have checked around with some Saints fans and they generally have good things to say about Carmichael. Some people might talk about Sean Payton being the real offensive mind, but to me that doesn't matter as much if the position coach or coordinator understands the concepts/philosophical strategy.

I might dig around some more to see if I can find more information on Carmichael. The first step will be checking big's Facebook page.

Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated list:

Chip Kelly
Bill Cowher
Jay Gruden
John Gruden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
Updated list:

Chip Kelly
Bill Cowher
Jay Gruden
John Gruden

I really really do not want John Gruden.
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:
Updated list:

Chip Kelly
Bill Cowher
Jay Gruden
John Gruden

I really really do not want John Gruden.

I agree.

Also can someone tell me why people want him? b/c I really don't see that many reasons to like him. If he coaches the way he commentates. Then I see him like Romeo.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Gruden holds one of the most well recognized qb camps every off season, and practically all the top notch qbs attend.

If that doesn't spell it out for you then I dont know what does.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
John Gruden holds one of the most well recognized qb camps every off season, and practically all the top notch qbs attend.

Okay he is good with QB's which I agree with. But we need someone who can do more then just make a QB good. We need a well round coach that can get everyone to play 100% every snap.

John just reminds me of a guy who wants to be friends with everyone. Ala Romeo/Herm. I could be wrong but that is just what he reminds me of. Then again is coming from his commentating on monday night football. He could coach different.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiccupGuy wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

Okay he is good with QB's which I agree with. But we need someone who can do more then just make a QB good. We need a well round coach that can get everyone to play 100% every snap.

John just reminds me of a guy who wants to be friends with everyone. Ala Romeo/Herm. I could be wrong but that is just what he reminds me of. Then again is coming from his commentating on monday night football. He could coach different.

He coaches a lot different from what I have seen / heard. He got his gig on Monday night because he is also a decent broadcaster / extremely smart technically.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions on Vic Fangio with Jim Tomsula as DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
He's in his 4th year at Oregon. It's a big time program now, and has been since their BCSCG appearance. They can get a lot of good recruits. IMO, that should no longer be THAT much of an issue.

Also, if he's such a genius, how come he can't figure out how to be successful on offense against good defenses? They play well enough some times, but then their defense lets them down.

He he's got a great offensive mind in many ways, but as a HC he's failed to address the same problems that seem to keep coming up. Adjustments aren't made in game, or even throughout 4 seasons.
Oregon has never been #1 in their conference in recruiting. In fact last year they were 3rd behind USC and Stanford despite it being the best or second best class ever at Oregon. When Oregon gets top of the line recruits they play well (De'Anthony will be first round TE Lyerla will be first rounder). Just hard for Oregon. Eugene is a hippy town with lots of rain. Not quite the Stanford Academics and beautiful land. The top end OL don't go there.

Their OGs are JuCo guys. Their center was a 3*. Their LT according to ESPN was the 51st best OT and was a 3*. ESPN has their RT as the 82nd best OT 3*.

Not exactly Barrett Jones'

Sig bet
Chiefer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^exactly. Oregons best class doesn't even compete with USC in a reduced scholarship year.

But you give him an avenue to find those players slightly easier in a draft format I'm sure he'd fix the problems.
chiefsfaninCR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how about David Shaw as OC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: