Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Draft Notes From Tony Pauline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Early Draft Notes From Tony Pauline Reply with quote

A great article from one of the few draft analysts I actually find credibly. These are just a few of the highlights of the article, so be sure and click the link to see the whole thing. It's a worthy read IMO.

Risers
Jonathan Cooper, G - North Carolina: Cooper received first round grades from scouts prior to the season and has surpassed expectations on the field this year. He was stamped as the premiere zone-blocking lineman in the nation and Cooper has expanded his game in 2012. The athletic guard improved his power at the point of attack and now displays the ability to beat down defenders on the line of scrimmage as well as annihilating opponents blocking in motion. Cooper will be the second guard selected in April 's draft after Alabama's Chance Warmack. He is unlikely to make it out of the draft's initial 15 choices.

Leon McFadden, CB -San Diego State: McFadden has been steadily rising up draft boards since the start of the season and is another who is exceeding expectations in 2012. He's a feisty cornerback with next-level size and the ball skills to match. McFadden has intercepted three passes this season, broken up 10 throws and has 57 tackles to his credit. He continues to improve on the field and several scouts feel McFadden will be a top-75 pick in next year's draft

Shayne Skov, LB -Stanford: Skov was graded as a potential first-round pick at the start of the 2011 season before a knee injury during the third game ended his season. His return to form was slow this seaso, yet Skov has gotten stronger each week. His performance during the upset victory over Oregon was nothing less than dominant. The ferocious linebacker led the Cardinal with 10 tackles and single-handedly stopped an Oregon scoring opportunity in the first quarter. While the draft world is abuzz about the prospects of middle linebacker Manti Te'o being a top 12 choice, many scouts feel Skov in Round 2 could be better value.

Sliders
Keenan Davis, WR -- Iowa: Davis entered the season ranked as a potential late-round pick yet has struggled all year. His production has significantly dropped off compared to 2011 and Davis has yet to accumulate 100 receiving yards or more in any single game this year. He's also registered just on touchdown catch this season, a poor number for a big-bodied, possession receiver

Russell Shepard, WR -LSU: Shepard made a last-minute decision to return for his senior season after struggling through an injury plagued 2011 campaign. He's struggled for playing time this season and has totaled just six receptions for 92 yards. The speedy wideout looked like a star in the making after posting 33 receptions as a sophomore. His combined totals the past two years are 20 receptions with 282 receiving yards. Shepard was viewed as a possible mid-round choice but is unlikely to be selected at any point in April's draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/11/17/risers-sliders-week-12/index.html

Couple of very interesting points here. If Cooper is a sure top 15 pick as Pauline suggest, and he's quick to say Warmack will be the first guard on the board, that means big Chance is going somewhere in the top 8-12.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is weird because I've had Cooper and Skov slated in most of my recent mock drafts. While I agree with all of his analysis, those players may not go where he projects them imo. I love Cooper and Skov. I want both of them and I think there's a chance we can get Cooper in round 2 and Skov in round 3.

For Cooper, guards tend to drop on draft day. He's not as good a prospect as DDC was and DDC was a top 15 prospect yet dropped into the 20's. I think Cooper could make it to early round 2 where we may very well end up picking. Especially since Warmack will go before him and possible/probably Barrett Jones too because of his versatility.

For Skov, he had a torn ACL a year ago so that's one red flag and he was suspended for the first game of the season because of a DUI I believe last February. I think he could be had in the 3rd round.

1. Taylor Lewan LT
2. Jonathan Cooper OG
3. Shayne Skov ILB

This is an optimistic/dream draft for me but it's definitely not unrealistic at this point. Hell if we lose out and end up picking top 5 or 6 even Joeckel is in play.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of that apollo14000, everything but the DDC reference really. DDC, IMO, didn't slip because he was a guard. He slipped because a lot of teams just didn't like him for one reason or another. People seem to forget that DDC wasn't even the 1st guard off the board last year. That was Kevin Zeitler.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I agree with most of that apollo14000, everything but the DDC reference really. DDC, IMO, didn't slip because he was a guard. He slipped because a lot of teams just didn't like him for one reason or another. People seem to forget that DDC wasn't even the 1st guard off the board last year. That was Kevin Zeitler.

DDC went 24 to the Steelers. Zeitler went 27 to the Bengals.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wll, who's the moron huh?

I do still stand by my point, despite the egg on my face. And with that I also find Warmack to be a better player than DDC (Said it 3 months ago, saying it again now).
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Cooper is truly athletic, and his gift is his ability to pull and move he often misses his targets or fails to block anyone. While I don't quite question his balance he can often be found stumbling to the ground in his attempt to make contact on those pulls. He is not as gifted at the point of attack as say Warmarck, Warford or Richardson and doesn't quite have the same sand in his pants either.

I'd be more comfortable in the third.

...you have a forum resume?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I was thinking in terms of Zeitler/DDC:

"I don’t know how the Bengals felt about the Zeitler/David DeCastro comparison, and we’ll likely never know because DeCastro had already been selected by the Steelers, but I felt that Zeitler was the more athletic and more complete guard prospect."

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/05/15/cosell-talks-2012-nfl-draft-post-mortem-2/?module=HP11_content_stream

I stand by my argument, I don't think being a guard had anything to do with where DDC went last April.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: