Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 up 5 down Ravens
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: 5 up 5 down Ravens Reply with quote

UP
1. could run the ball with Dwyer
2. run D seemed decent
3. pass coverage decent
4. some good hits in the game

DOWN
1. keeping lefty in after being hurt. terrible coaching, trainers etc. I don't even know why he was starting over batch
2. Wallace - colonsworth even noticed how wallace could have reached down to make the one catch, I thought he could have got his feet in bounds on the one play and then there was the fumble. Brown is better than wallace.
3. officiating - sucks as always.
4. punting to the best returner in the game , but they stopped after he scored a TD Rolling Eyes
5. coaching - see #1 above. Also, seemed like they should have kept running the ball but opted to try and pass with lefty. The way the OL was helping the running game, they could have converted some 3rd downs with the running game. Just keep running until they stop you, but for some reason they didn't

Should have won this game, but coaching lost it imo, unless Batch is hurt or not able to play better. Looks like wild card at best, but if 92 and 56 start to come around, it could be interesting.
waffles7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP

1.) Keenan Lewis & Ike Taylor- Keenan is showing me something these past few weeks. Ike has quietly shut down Green, Cruz, and now Smith these past few weeks.
2.) Dwyer- hes the future at RB.
3.) I like what I saw from Deebo and Woodley tonight especially late
4.) Pouncey- I liked what I seen from him when I was paying attention to the OL
5.) Curtis Brown is one hell of a gunner on ST.....side note

DOWNS

1.) If Ben is out there its a blow out.
2.) Leftwich looked horrible.
3.) Tomlin didnt make that QB change
4.) Best performance from start to finish all year by the defense for nothing.
5.) Mendenhall is so ineffective running the ball anymore. He runs straight into the crowd of men and gets stopped instead of making any play at all. He's an idiot. HELL NO to resigning him!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up:

1. Keenan and Ike shutting down their WR's. Torrey who?
2. Dwyer running hard
3. Defensive Line and Run Defense as a whole. Also, stopping them on most 3rd downs.
4. Keeping it close while losing arguably our 3 best players
5. Drew Butler continuing to pin down our opponents on punts
Bonus: Lefty's run to end the first drive

Downs:

1. losing 2 TO's in 2nd half
2. Lefty getting injured and missing an opportunity to show what he's capable of
3. Playcalling in the red zone and on their side of the 50, something called doing what's working
4. Wallace's lethargic effort
5. Special Teams allowing biggest play of the game.
Bonus: I like Chris Collinsworth and all but he messed up some obvious names.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP:

1. Total defense - Didn't give up a TD the whole game. Usually that's enough to win - usually. Did a terrific job defending the run and pass.
2. Emmanuel Sanders - Always seems to get drilled every game but holds onto the ball. A tough player.
3. Keenan Lewis - The team's most improved player keeps getting better each week after a slow start to begin the season.
4. James Harrison - More noticeable tonight. That's a good sign going forward.
5. Leftwich's run - Great start to the game. I thought it was a good omen. However, that was it for the Steelers punching it in the end zone.

DOWN:

1. Missed TD opportunity - They inexplicably blow TWO timeouts on that drive. Not sure who is to blame there but that simply can't happen. Then to top it off they fail to score the touchdown. Failure all around on the game's biggest drive.
2. Two turnovers = Six points - You don't have to be a math genius to know those points cost them the game.
3. Mike Wallace - He's has been excruciatingly frustrating the entire year. Looks unstoppable on one play then looks lacksadasical the next. He's got to have awareness to know to drag the feet on that catch in the end zone. That's a play he should and needs to make. Throw in a costly fumble and a play where it didn't look like he made an effort and it wasn't a good game for a guy who wants to be paid like a top WR.
4. Special teams - They gave up the lone TD. Plus their own return game wasn't good at all.
5. Willie Colon - As usual he gets a holding penalty and then looked lost on a crucial third down play late in the game that cost them a sack. Inexcusable to allow that to happen.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite possible that Wallace literally was incapable of getting his foot down because of body position or whatever, do you really think he isn't trying to put it down?

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
It's quite possible that Wallace literally was incapable of getting his foot down because of body position or whatever, do you really think he isn't trying to put it down?

Agreed.

Running with the ball the way he did on the fumble, now that was all his fault.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+Positives

+ The entire team! I know it was a hard fought loss to a good football team. But the resiliency of this team always seem to amaze me. Know matter who goes down this teams continues to fight. I don't know of one team in the league that can lose a top 10 QB, All Pro safety, the best WR/ST combo player and still compete. I know there aren't any moral victories, but if this team ever gets healthy it could be a lot of trouble for the AFC.

+ J. Dwyer has been earning more and more respect each week. If he gets his head out his but and gets into better shape he'll be a good RB.

+ Entire defense! Didn't get any key turnovers and that has been lacking from the defense this season. But they play sound football and held a team that scored 55 last week to 3 FGs with one missed and to just 200 yds of total offense.

+Byron Leftwich, I know many may not agree but he fought hard today. I didn't result in victory, but it showed the team that it has a tough SOB as a backup. I think Haley kind of failed him when he didn't run the ball more given Byron a good play action game to work with.

+Emmanuel Sanders! Kid has really shown up and proves he's a tough player taking those big hits. Its nice that he's getting this chance with A. Brown sidelined. I believe it'll give the offense more passing options when A. Brown returns.

-Negatives

- No key turnovers in the game. The defense biggest black eye is for as great as they are playing they aren't getting turnovers. If they team is going to win games down the stretch the defense has to play a bigger role.

- Play calling! Haley didn't establish the run early enough in games. There were certain times where 3 consecutive passes in a tight game was gonna cut it. The Ravens could of been had if the run would of started in the latter quarters. Plus just one designed deep ball to Wallace. I know E. Reed probably was over the top of Wallace for most of the game. But Big Arm QB team with the leagues best deep threat. I think going to the well a couple more times could of result in more big plays.

- Tripping!! How do you even justify that? It seems every game the Steelers get some wacked out call.

- Special teams! Ok they gave up a return and that's never a good thing. But they didn't return the favor and get the team good field position on any of there returns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cam Heyward yet as an up. He had some extended play and look better than ziggy out there.
SteelersFan2333

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up:

1- DB's- while they caught a couple of lucky breaks, Ike and Lewis have continued to improve on a weekly basis

2- Dwyer- has shown enough that I am fine letting Mendy walk, needs to work on conditioning but has skills

3- Run D- totally shut down their running game, made them one dimensional

Down:
1- coaching- while I normally don't hammer the coaches, I think this was a week that coaching let us down. We take a shot deep early and it pays off for us, but seem to forget it the rest of the game. Running game starts getting some momentum, we forget about it. OL giving up pressure, we don't go max protect. When you don't have your starting QB, and the backup grimaces every pass he throws, you don't have him throw the ball 39 times and run the ball 25 times, we should have been running the ball right down their throat! And throwing a fade in the end zone on 3rd and short when your running backs got you in that position??

2- wasted TO's- dont know if it was the play coming in late, or Lefty not understanding the call, but it could have changed the game at the end

3- officials- phantom tripping, missing false starts, wonder who they would have called the penalty on if every time they flinched a second and a half before the snap our DL jumps the play?

Side note- knowing Lefty was hurt and not pulling him, makes me wonder if they have lost all faith in Batch or if there is something there we don't know about, like a minor injury to Batch?? The way Lefty was hurting, wouldn't surprise me at all if we sign another QB this week.....
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups

1. Keenan Lewis & Ike Taylor- Lewis is really starting to come into his own. With his recent improvements, A game like this could be that point in his career that he becomes a solid Corner for years to come. Hopefully he builds on this! This is the Ike we need to see the rest of the year.

2. Defense performance all around- From the game plan to execution they had a great night. They kept Rice in check and was getting some decent pressure on Flacco. Holding there Offense to 0 TD's.

3. Jonathan Dwyer- He hits the hole and goes. Hard to bring him down Great running after 1st contact.

4. Mike Pouncey- He looked great out there.

5. Manny Sanders- Look like he was trying to take over where Brown left off.

Downs

1. Turnovers- They make a difference in a game like this.

2. Lack of turnovers- They make a difference in a game like this. Even though the D played an amazing game a key turnover could've made the difference.

3. Special Teams- They make a difference in a game like this.

4. Lefty's Injury?- His rib, shoulder or whatever it was obviously made a huge impact on his throwing abilities.

5. Situational play calling- 3rd and short and they are throwing it down field when Dwyer was getting 2-3 yards easily running the ball. Coming into the game we were like around 50% on Third Down Efficiency tonight 5/17 - 29%. I know it not all Lefty's fault but Ben you are missed!

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups
- defense
- Dwyer
- Heyward
- Sanders
- cornerbacks

Downs
-Passing offense & protection
-Wallace
-Special Teams
-Mendy
-Losing at home to Ravens, Colon, Pressure, Middle LBs, Turnovers etc could go here

Thanks Lyasr 529
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see how people few Mendy as a down. It's his first game back and he only got 11 carries. I thought he looked ok and took what the defense gave him. He gives the Steelers a added dimension and once he gets his game legs under him I think he'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I just don't see how people few Mendy as a down. It's his first game back and he only got 11 carries. I thought he looked ok and took what the defense gave him. He gives the Steelers a added dimension and once he gets his game legs under him I think he'll be fine.

They can't give him a full workload on his first game back. I thought he was used fine, I just wish maybe a few more HB screens to him. But that's not his fault, and thought he did fine with his chances.
kmvoss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

They can't give him a full workload on his first game back. I thought he was used fine, I just wish maybe a few more HB screens to him. But that's not his fault, and thought he did fine with his chances.

He messed up really, really bad during the last drive of the game. Cost you guys a chance at putting together a drive by killing half of the remaining time on the clock by not going OB.
lionslicer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. keeping lefty in after being hurt. terrible coaching, trainers etc. I don't even know why he was starting over batch

Because he's better. This is a coaching staff that tends to start veterans over good young players because of stubbornness, yet they still started Leftwich over Batch. This has to tell that they really believe he is better and Batch can't do anything anymore. Only reason Batch has gotten any starts in the past 3 years is because Leftwich was hurt. Batch has always been the number 3 guy, and got moved up when Leftwich and Dixon were injured.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: