Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell concerned HD TV getting too good
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Some of you guys have it good! Face value of good seats at Foxboro is $180+!
We ain't talking good seats, we're talking nose bleeds, selling for $160 on the secondary market.
yeah there's no way that nosebleeds should cost any more than $100 each.

Well, they apparently should if they're going for that on the secondary market. If people are selling them at that price point and others are willing to pay that, then they certainly are worth that amount.
It's why I hate the secondary market, yeah I know supply/demand blah blah blah, but you could almost charge any amount for Bears tickets, the fan base is so massive and the ability to go to a game is such a rarity that people will pay almost anything for them. Actual fans don't get a chance to buy a single game ticket at face value b/c of the secondary market. If you want to pay face value for tickets you have 2 options, either buy the season tickets (which you currently have a 50+ year wait) or buy the 3 game package. Those are your only choices, otherwise its spending whatever the secondary market decides the tickets are worth.

Who are "actual fans?" You? I'm guessing that willingness to pay increasing sums of money is strongly correlated to level of fandom.
I said actual fans don't get a chance to buy tickets at face value, what does that have to do w/ fans willing to pay on the secondary market?

I'm not sure if it's the same in Chicago, but in SF a lot of people buy season tickets for the sole reason of re-selling them at 3x face value. I'm just glad tickets to Candlestick aren't very expensive, tickets to the new stadium will cost a fortune in the secondary market.

I mean, it's not that I wouldn't be annoyed by this practice, but at the same time they wouldn't do this if there wasn't a market of people willing to buy them at the inflated price. A lot of times a market says just as much about the purchaser as it does the seller. If fans really don't want to see this happen, then they should try to get season tickets for themselves, otherwise they need to sort of deal with the reality. Not trying to be cold, just realistic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL games should all be home games

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said recently that the reason NFL ticket sales are down over the past five years is HD television.

Oh, Rog, Rog, Rog. There are so many reasons that NFL games, like teenage boys, are better at home. I've mentioned a few before, but how about 20 more?

1) At home, you don't have to stand in line to pee.

2) At home, you don't have to stand in line to pee while watching a drunk pee in a sink.

3) The average cost of a beer at an NFL game is $7.13. In your fridge, it's about a buck. And it's colder. And you can keep the cap if you want.

4) At home, you will not get one of those precious beers accidentally poured down your neck. At a Monday night game in Phoenix three weeks ago, I was standing on the field when a guy yelled at me, "Hey, Feherty," as he spilled his Budweiser down the neck of the guy in front of him, "You suck!"

5) At home, you will not get one of those precious beers purposely poured down your neck. One night last season, just after a game at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, I walked into the tunnel behind Miami Dolphins QB Matt Moore and watched a man pour an entire beer on his helmet-free head. Moore looked up and said, "Really?" Yes, really. You should see what they do to Tebow.

6) At home, parking is free. At an NFL game, the average cost to park is $27.35, according to Team Marketing Report. In San Francisco this weekend, people driving motor homes paid $100. A hundred dollars! And do you know what those people did once they parked those motor homes? Sat in lawn chairs and watched football on HDTV.

7) The yellow first down line.

Cool Your comfy couch. Have you sat in an NFL seat for three-and-a-half hours lately? They're approximately the size of American Girl Doll tea chairs. This makes no sense. American seats are getting wider while American stadium seats are getting narrower?

9) No prison holding cell necessary. Many stadiums have one now. I see cops taking people there all the time in the tunnels -- some guy with a swollen red eye and his hands plastic-cuffed behind him. Sorry, pal, there's no HD in there, either.

10) At home, nachos aren't 15 stale round tortilla chips placed in a plastic tray with cold Velveeta cheese squirted into the corner and topped by half a jalapeno sliced thinner than a Matthew McConaughey plot.

ESPN

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
9) No prison holding cell necessary. Many stadiums have one now. I see cops taking people there all the time in the tunnels -- some guy with a swollen red eye and his hands plastic-cuffed behind him. Sorry, pal, there's no HD in there, either.

Lolwut?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

5) At home, you will not get one of those precious beers purposely poured down your neck. One night last season, just after a game at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, I walked into the tunnel behind Miami Dolphins QB Matt Moore and watched a man pour an entire beer on his helmet-free head. Moore looked up and said, "Really?" Yes, really. You should see what they do to Tebow.

This really makes me feel ashamed to be a fan of the NFL, or just even an American. How embarrassing.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cost of seats for a family of 4 at the average league ticket price, you'll pay about $320. That can actually buy a nice 32-40 inch HD TV. Throw in the extra costs like food, drink, gas, parking, or nicer seats, and you're looking at an HD TV that'll fill out most living rooms all too well.

Yeah, I'm not surprised the NFL's not winning that battle. I'll be interested to see how the league responds. Lengthening the games for more commercial time isn't going to be a viable option. The networks don't want football interrupting their Sunday night programming more than it already does.
sportjames23

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
I watched NFL football on the TV for about 5-6 years before finally going to an NFL game in 2010.

The experience was very... disappointing. It even ruined football for me in general for a few weeks afterwards. When you watch football on TV, all the players look huge, a 40 yard pass looks like something a non-pro couldn't even attempt, and 40 yard FG tries look so difficult. Watching it in person, everything looks so miniature and not nearly as impressive. The running plays look like a high school football game, the 40 yard passes don't look that much better than the throws my friends and I make playing backyard football, and the field goal tries don't look very intimidating.

Plus the flow of the game is much better watching it on TV, commercial breaks allow you to grab a drink, check your fantasy score and tune back in right as that crucial third down play comes up. Watching it live, seeing the players stand around while waiting for a TV break is just depressing.

All that being said, I would still go to a Ravens game if I were going with good friends and was plenty drunk before hand. Just to cheer on the team and make it harder on the opponent.

Basically my experience as well.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised to see so many people's distaste for going to games. I love going to watch the Seahawks and I'd take going over television any day. The atmosphere is something you cannot understand watching at home.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Surprised to see so many people's distaste for going to games. I love going to watch the Seahawks and I'd take going over television any day. The atmosphere is something you cannot understand watching at home.
I'm with you bro. It's just really expensive. I try to go to at least one game a year.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go to Patriots games because it costs a bloody fortune to get even the most mediocre of seats.

I'd much rather sit in my living room watching it on a big screen than pay a thousand dollars to watch the game through binoculars.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:

Yeah, its a bit odd.

Its kinda like "Why spend money to go to a party when I can chat on the internet for free?"

CK on the sig
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

Yeah, its a bit odd.

Its kinda like "Why spend money to go to a party when I can chat on the internet for free?"

I think you actually answered my question right there Laughing I wasn't considering the demographic Laughing
Billsin2013

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the same in Chicago, but in SF a lot of people buy season tickets for the sole reason of re-selling them at 3x face value. I'm just glad tickets to Candlestick aren't very expensive, tickets to the new stadium will cost a fortune in the secondary market.

It's the same and it's a lot worse in Chicago because those a-holes decided to renovate the stadium and still make it have under 62,000 seats so tickets are hard to find and when you do find them, the prices are ridiculous. I haven't been to a Bears game since 2005 and I don't plan on attending any anytime soon with the prices.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lower ticket prices....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:

I completely agree. As much as I love sitting back with buddies on Sunday watching the game on the big screen, there really is nothing like going to an NFL game. Get there early, tailgate, have some beers and watch the games from the parking lot.

I love live football, you see so much more than you see on TV, plays developing, receivers running routes and like you said just the atmosphere of going to a home game.

It is expensive, but an NFL game is still averaging 63K+ fans for every game, even at today's ticket prices.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportjames23 wrote:
spiritoftruth wrote:
I watched NFL football on the TV for about 5-6 years before finally going to an NFL game in 2010.

The experience was very... disappointing. It even ruined football for me in general for a few weeks afterwards. When you watch football on TV, all the players look huge, a 40 yard pass looks like something a non-pro couldn't even attempt, and 40 yard FG tries look so difficult. Watching it in person, everything looks so miniature and not nearly as impressive. The running plays look like a high school football game, the 40 yard passes don't look that much better than the throws my friends and I make playing backyard football, and the field goal tries don't look very intimidating.

Plus the flow of the game is much better watching it on TV, commercial breaks allow you to grab a drink, check your fantasy score and tune back in right as that crucial third down play comes up. Watching it live, seeing the players stand around while waiting for a TV break is just depressing.

All that being said, I would still go to a Ravens game if I were going with good friends and was plenty drunk before hand. Just to cheer on the team and make it harder on the opponent.

Basically my experience as well.

Seriously? I don't even understand this. If you don't think what they do is impressive live....I just don't even know what to say. High school running plays? The throws look like something you and your friends do? Were you at a Cardinals game? I just can't get behind this logic at all. Seeing it live is super interesting because you can actually see the entire field.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: